23andMe Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

I just enter to become a Beta tester to get the same feature as some of you but it doesn't seems to update from the older V5 version? Any clue? And also i'm German from my maternal Grand-Mother but it still doesn't seems to found any ancestry from there while my maternal lineage clearly is from North Europe... They only found me ancestry from Switzerland and " Maybe " from France.

DNA.png
Is one of those supposed to represent German ancestry? Taking into account that French & German is supposed to represent some Rhine Celtic/Germanic shared ancestry but my German origins are in Eastern Germany, so should be shifted towards Poles and Slavs no?

This tool is experimental, so I suspect that at present it works with good approximation only for individuals from areas with many samples tested and / or regions whose ethnic composition is extremely homogeneous, and Italy is too complex in this respect, nor tested in a capillary way.

These tools always depend on the accuracy of the reference samples. The more you divide Italy into regional areas, the more accurate the reference samples must be. Most likely not all regions are sampled in the same way, there may be some regions with many more samples than others.

I think my part Tuscan roots "increase" my "Italian" number. I have a feeling the "centrum" for Italy is around there.

Italian on 23andme has always peaked more south of Tuscany, around Abruzzo/Molise, but with the V5 there may have been some changes. If your Tuscan roots are from Massa-Carrara Italian there is no significant difference from the neighbouring areas of Liguria and Emilia.

Hm, so i finally figure it how to use the Beta version of 23andme, and i have to say i found something very odd. So i'm Swiss from both side but my maternal grand-mother comes from Dresden, Germany and her father had origins in Bern, Switzerland. When i use the Beta version, off 79.5% of French & German, my only results are:

Highly Likely Match: Switzerland. On the 26 Regions, 2 matchs: Lucerne Strong, Bern a little less strong, wich corroborate my maternal Swiss ancestry.

Possible Match: France. On 13 Regions, 3 matchs: Grand Est, Bourgogne Franche-Comté, Pays de la Loire. All Strong.

Problem? I dont have any French ancestry that i'm aware of. My father came from Canton de Vaud in Switzerland, that i dont seems to have match for in the Switzerland Cluster. He had a very French name who could explain a French origin at some point so i dont know.

Questions: 1) Why is my Eastern Germany ancestry not shown, or is it comprise into the French & Germany without distinctions? [ We did not detect a match for Austria, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, or Netherlands. ] 2) Is Canton de Vaud and peripheric French regions like Bourgogne-Franche-Comté genetically indistinguishable?

DNA.png

French DNA.jpg

Switzerland DNA.jpg

Thanks for the answers if you can help me.

my new 23andme v3 ancestry

Veneto as first, which are your other Italian regions? According to your map there is also signal of your ancestry in Calabria, Sicily and Sardinia.

Veneto as first, which are your other Italian regions? According to your map there is also signal of your ancestry in Calabria, Sicily and Sardinia.
Sardinia next, ...............then i have to wait ....until the site gives me access as its updating , again.
a few hours ago it changed
also my french-german dropped from 15 to 14 % , but the 2 austrians have shown themselves as coming from Villach and Lienz ( not Linz )
the other states Austria but comes from Zernez switzerland , must be a border town

These tools always depend on the accuracy of the reference samples. The more you divide Italy into regional areas, the more accurate the reference samples must be. Most likely not all regions are sampled in the same way, there may be some regions with many more samples than others.

Italian on 23andme has always peaked more south of Tuscany, around Abruzzo/Molise, but with the V5 there may have been some changes. If your Tuscan roots are from Massa-Carrara Italian there is no significant difference from the neighbouring areas of Liguria and Emilia.

Yes, I think you're right. Although I originally didn't think so, being fooled by "phenotypic" differences, I think both sides of my family are generally the same genetically, or, as you say, there is no huge difference between Massa Carrara, eastern Liguria, and Emilia, despite the mountain ranges bisecting it. That's borne out by the languages, which are variously forms of Emilian and Ligurian, i.e. northern Italian languages.

I think the reason may be that Cavalli Sforza was right, and the Apennines and Apuan Alps and Ligurian Alps were refuge areas for the Celt-Ligurians, who, of course, had mixed with locals. In fact, I think those "Ligurian" matches are probably from people actually from Massa Carrara and Emilia. That's what the surnames indicate, anyway.

They must not have very many Ligurian samples, because that should be as dark as Toscana and Emilia-Romagna. I checked my "matches" again, and the "good" ones are eastern Liguria, Emilia, and Massa Carrara, with a few from Lucca and Viareggio. None south or west of that. A few from Piemonte also show up. I would bet that they're probably Ligurian speaking areas.

Last edited:
My 22.5% "Balkan", and 5.5% "West Asian" (Caucasian) do not have any specific regions, which leads me to believe it is very ancient. My closest matches for "Balkan" are in Croatia, and Romania, as well as Greece. I also get 0.6% "broadly west asian and north african". Since the centrum for "Italian" is probably around Tuscany, the 5.5% west asian I get is probably excess from the bronze age anatolian migration, being read by the algorthim as such. If the centrum for Italian on V5 were further south, the Caucasian and much of Balkan would be subsumed.

Last edited:
My 22.5% "Balkan", and 5.5% "West Asian" (Caucasian) do not have any specific regions, which leads me to believe it is very ancient. My closest matches for "Balkan" are in Croatia, and Romania, as well as Greece. I also get 0.6% "broadly west asian and north african". Since the centrum for "Italian" is probably around Tuscany, the 5.5% west asian I get is probably excess from the bronze age anatolian migration, being read by the algorthim as such. If the centrum for Italian on V5 were further south, the Caucasian and much of Balkan would be subsumed.

I also get 7.0% "Broadly Southern European".

Clicking on my Italian which increased to 36% ( rounding )
Taking away family members .....2 matches with Trentini ......
My 14% french -German
3 matches with Austrians and 2 with Germans ( hmm, no french ) .............2 Austrians have Italian surnames, Cisneros from south-tyrol and Moro from Veneto
My 3 % Balkan
matches with 1 each of Croatian, Montenegrin and Romanian ( is Romania really Balkan ?)
My 3% UK
all matches just say united kingdom
1% Sardinia
zero matches.
26% NW-Europe
zero matches.
15% south Europe
zero matches
1% westAsian.
1% east-Asian

They said
NW-Europe is from Ireland to Scandinavia to Switzerland and vienna Austria ...............LOL, what a huge area
so i should add the 17% of UK and french/german to the 26% NW-Euro .............43%

They said
NW-Europe is from Ireland to Scandinavia to Switzerland and vienna Austria ...............LOL, what a huge area
so i should add the 17% of UK and french/german to the 26% NW-Euro .............43%

You are from Veneto. Goes to show that using modern populations are a terrible means to understand one's ancestry. Had you been adopted, you would have a false understanding of your heritage, if you took their labels as proof of it.
This is why some people may dismiss consumer genomics as a junk science.

My 3 % Balkan
matches with 1 each of Croatian, Montenegrin and Romanian ( is Romania really Balkan ?)

Geographically, it's at the crossroads of the Balkans and Eastern Europe. The better term would be Southeastern Europe.
But genetically, Romanians are closer to Bulgarians and Serbs than the latter are to Croatians, Albanians and Greeks for example, so being included in a cluster with them makes sense.

Compare to AncestryDNA
Merry Christmas :)
zcb1es1.jpg

1bYNye8.jpg

eDcVjaO.jpg

LyLmq0f.jpg

I know, they didn’t include Salento. lol
1IIEdTh.jpg

I recieved my results from AncestryDNA. Check it out, we both get 79%.

Edit: when I get a chance, i'll move these to an ancestryDNA results thread. I don't have access to a desktop for the next few days.

1IIEdTh.jpg

I recieved my results from AncestryDNA. Check it out, we both get 79%.

Edit: when I get a chance, i'll move these to an ancestryDNA results thread. I don't have access to a desktop for the next few days.

My AncestryDNA:
79 Italy, (Southern Italy - Puglia)
8 Greece & the Balkans, 5 Spain, 4 Sardinia, 4 Caucasus.
(Maybe mine will change again.) :)

View attachment 10568
This is mine. I'm Apulian.

I posted this results before.
We are now getting Puglia at the top from multiple sources, cool.

Population Distances
WHTfIEL.jpg

5 Population Sharing:

6I2PLwA.jpg

IT_Apulia 22.72%
IT_Abruzzo 22.57%
IT_Lazio 19.14%
Sicily_Trapani 18.21%
IT_Campania 17.37%

Christa, your results are invisible ;)

Compare to AncestryDNA
Merry Christmas :)

zcb1es1.jpg

1bYNye8.jpg

eDcVjaO.jpg

LyLmq0f.jpg

I know, they didn’t include Salento. lol

On other analyses the Salento groups with Calabria and Sicilia. Maybe they're seeing something similar.

On other analyses the Salento groups with Calabria and Sicilia. Maybe they're seeing something similar.

They don’t include Salento because of the Griko population.
I might not have the local Griko Ancestry, and my genes are closer to other Apulians.

EDITED:
I mean that I’m not related to recent Medievel Greeks, but rather to older Magna Grecia or older. Same as other Apulians.

EDITED:
In Puglia, mainly Salento and Taranto has a segment of the population that carries Ancestry of Magna Grecia.
The rest of Puglia does not, or not as much.

Last edited:
While I like the idea, it seems that they took a step back with accuracy. Most of my DNA matches are from Albania and Greece. Perhaps the new algorithm looks at shared segments rather than frequency. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense that the region we are from is either not a hit or low on the list in my case.Maybe they represent share DNA with ancestors that migrated to rather than from those regions. Any ways here goes.

Me:

hamit23andme.png

hamit23albania.png

hamit23greece.png

hamit23macedonia.png

hamit23romania.png

Mother:

s23andmebalkan.png

s23andmealbania.png

s23andmegreece.png

s23andmemacedonia.png

s23andmeromania.png

s23andmemontenegro.png

s23andmebulgaria.png

s23andmecroatia.png

s23andmeitaly.png

Father:

r23andmebalkans.png

r23andmealbania.png

r23andmegreece.png

r23andmemacedonia.png

r23andmeromania.png

r23andmeserbia.png

This thread has been viewed 237876 times.

Back