23andMe Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

In theory, the differences would be explained by trio-phasing, but your son, for example, is not that different from you and his mother, right?
I think virtually all my parents' Italian % coming to me is unlikely. I assume part of these %s came from their "Broadly something", either Southern, Northern or just European. Notice how mine are low, whereas their "Broadly" are substancially higher.*

It's said 51.3 of my Italian come from mother, and the other 34.2 from father (total of 85.5). All the rest come from father, which means all what come from mother are Italian. To be true, some of her "Broadly something" would have come to me as Italian.
*Indeed, I would have inherited 0% Broadly from mother. All from father.
So, total of 51.3 from mother and 48.6 from father.

Btw, my Ancestry Timeline in 23andMe got a little better.

I am saying is that the percentages given to child from parent are not 50/50
in post #296....my father gave me 19.6 italian of which I gave my son 19.7 italian.......but its not 19.6 of my fathers only , I must include my mothers 34.6 given to me......so my son got 19.7% of 19.6+34.6
If we look at french/german, for same system, then its different again
I gaurantee if I did my sons brother it would be different

ktlsdui.png

My regional map report for "Greek & Balkan" ancestry has been produced. Very interesting!

Especially considering these two maps:

obhq3UZ.png

1RGLsZw.png

Looking at my closest 5 DNA matches (4th-5th cousins) with "Greek and Balkan", they come in the order of Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, and Greece. Nevertheless, all of them are recently part Italian; according to the birth places listed for their parents. I infer that my connection to them is through them mixing recently with Italian-Americans. Thus I speculate this affinity to the Peloponnese is something much older.

Looking at my closest 5 DNA matches (4th-5th cousins) with "Greek and Balkan", they come in the order of Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, and Greece. Nevertheless, all of them are recently part Italian; according to the birth places listed for their parents. I infer that my connection to them is through them mixing recently with Italian-Americans. Thus I speculate this affinity to the Peloponnese is something much older.
I think you balkan is mostly ancient illyrian and Greek. Moreover in your city, Altamura, in the MiddleAges there was a small minority of Greeks, Slavs and Albanians.
I have similar matches like yours. On my paper trail I have several Slaves in 1500.

I think you balkan is mostly ancient illyrian and Greek. Moreover in your city, Altamura, in the MiddleAges there was a small minority of Greeks, Slavs and Albanians.
I have similar matches like yours. On my paper trail I have several Slaves in 1500.
It could also be Ancient Common Ancestry that we share with them.

My 1 to 20 Population Distances:

It6SJu4.jpg

#9 Cyclades, could be Southern Aegean.
#14 Peloponnese

Perhaps, but my father gets less Balkan (16%), and no Eastern European (nor do I, or any of my family)

My father get's less Balkan (16%), and no Eastern European (nor do I, or any of my family)

I think you're right. From everything I've seen a few traders in an area for a short period of time rarely leave any genetic legacy.

I just think there's been continuing gene flow for millenia in both directions as pertains to Italy and the Balkans, and particularly from the Balkans into Italy.

Another thing that I think you've hit upon is that a lot of these "matches" may not and probably mostly aren't gene flow into Italians but shared Italian ancestry.

I think you're right. From everything I've seen a few traders in an area for a short period of time rarely leave any genetic legacy.

I just think there's been continuing gene flow for millenia in both directions as pertains to Italy and the Balkans, and particularly from the Balkans into Italy.

Another thing that I think you've hit upon is that a lot of these "matches" may not and probably mostly aren't gene flow into Italians but shared Italian ancestry.

Despite the wishes of a few internet t-rolls, there is virtually no "Slavic" ancestry in Italians, apart from perhaps a bit in Friuli and Istria and places like that, which is relatively recent.

What the yDna shows is clear.

The autosomes tell basically the same story: even the Albanians, who are closest to people like Tuscans, are definitely "eastern" shifted, i.e. they have "eastern" ancestry, while Tuscans do not. That's the major difference. The Tuscans have more affinity to Central and northwestern Europeans, and the Balkans to eastern Europeans.

in post #296....my father gave me 19.6 italian of which I gave my son 19.7 italian.......but its not 19.6 of my fathers only , I must include my mothers 34.6 given to me......so my son got 19.7% of 19.6+34.6
If we look at french/german, for same system, then its different again
I gaurantee if I did my sons brother it would be different
Trio-Phasing should have simplified and assigned the “Broadly”.

Not in this case.

The broadly got bigger, the results of all 3 changed, and they added some Brits/Irish to the Father.

At the next update it was taken away, the broadly grew even more, and the % inherited changed.

Last edited:

Not in this case.

The broadly got bigger, the results of all 3 changed, and they added some Brits/Irish to the Father.

At the next update it was taken away, the broadly grew even more, and the % inherited changed.

Since new admixture results 23andme has given me more messages from potential people

Bottacin, Tieppo both in Istrana Veneto and
Neuman from Vas in Belluno province
first time I am pleased with 23andme for a few years

This is my new autosomic of 23andMe. Compared to the previous calculation, the Italian share (+ 2%) and the Iberian share (about + 1%) increased by a few points. They have refined the northern European quota so now they better capture the French-German quota. Instead, I believe that they have broken down the old Balkan one: now the greek-balkan seems to me to identify the actual archaic component (Illyrian / Greek-continental), causing the rest to flow between the East-European and the Broadly Southern-European.
Some of my genetic cousins ​​of 23andMe, who claim to be Montenegrin, have a 99% Greek-Balkan.

https://imgur.com/a/oTs4gcj

Sent from my SM-J730F using Eupedia Forum mobile app

This is my new autosomic of 23andMe. Compared to the previous calculation, the Italian share (+ 2%) and the Iberian share (about + 1%) increased by a few points. They have refined the northern European quota so now they better capture the French-German quota. Instead, I believe that they have broken down the old Balkan one: now the greek-balkan seems to me to identify the actual archaic component (Illyrian / Greek-continental), causing the rest to flow between the East-European and the Broadly Southern-European.
Some of my genetic cousins ​​of 23andMe, who claim to be Montenegrin, have a 99% Greek-Balkan.

When 23andme says Greek-Balkan, does it mean there is a Greek component, a Balkan one different from Greek or a single one called Greek-Balkan?
What is Balkan, knowing that there is Slavs, Albanian, Bulgarian with different origins
Can any one explain this to me, since I am confused about these definitions

Thanks for sharing,

Judging from the results I've seen recently posted here, 23andme gives about 3/4th or more [Italian + Broadly Southern European (which can be added to the Italian percentage)] to most Italians. The other 1/4 depends on the region.

Now the algorithms for all of the past chips seem to have been updated to be like that of V5. For some there have been sweeping changes.

Last edited:

I agree, there's been many pre-historic migrations, as well as historic. I think some of the "Greek & Balkan" can be subsumed into what would be expected from southern Italians in my area from before Magna Graecia, going back to the neolithic. As well as the majority of the "West Asian" which could be attributed to the Bronze-age Anatolians, that the 23andme centurm for "Italian" has a little bit less of. Some of that could have been increased slightly by the Greeks and Balkanites, who experienced Bronze-age Anatolian migrations, as well.

Interesting how just by being from the west versus the east I have no Greek and Balkan and no Eastern European at all. Other than Italian (about 70%), and broad Southern European (9%), it's all French/German and North Western European and Scandinavian. I wonder what my 100% Emilian father would have gotten.

When the scientists say the Italians are the most diverse people in Europe they aren't kidding. :)

Just a point of curiosity. On my report it says 80% of my matches are French German, but when I look at the top matches they assign to me, four out of the five have at least one Italian surname. Are your matches also partly Italian?

oTs4gcj

oTs4gcj

oTs4gcj

This upgrade is the 18th of December upgrade for all versions except V5 which was done prior to December

Interesting how just by being from the west versus the east I have no Greek and Balkan and no Eastern European at all. Other than Italian (about 70%), and broad Southern European (9%)(...)
"Ethnic" attribution is very strange from one company to another. I know people who have tested with more company and have totally opposite percentages.
For example, 0% Balkans, but huge NE European and some Italian and Geek, with one, but... 92% Balkans with another!!
:confused:

Like random results. Like a lottery...
This can not give us confidence in the tests results!

Sure. I'm aware of it. :)

It's even better, indeed. Obviously not perfect, but imo 23andMe already was the best before; now it's becoming "hors concours" in admixture, he he he.

Despite the wishes of a few internet t-rolls, there is virtually no "Slavic" ancestry in Italians, apart from perhaps a bit in Friuli and Istria and places like that, which is relatively recent.
What the yDna shows is clear.
I saw few days ago in FTDNA the results of a person from a pre-Alpine area in Udine, and he got almost 50% of Eastern European, which seems an exaggeration. I presume it would mean a bit less than 10% in 23andMe.

Not in this case.
I have access to two results (mother and daughter) in similar situation. After phasing (not trio-phasing), the "Broadly" increased. The daughter is mixed though (mother NE Italian and father Hispanic). Not sure it has something to do. Anyway, it happens.

Since new admixture results 23andme has given me more messages from potential people
Bottacin, Tieppo both in Istrana Veneto and
Neuman from Vas in Belluno province
my wifes results
Italian 69.2%
French & German 2.5%
Spanish & Portuguese 4.2%
Greek & Balkan 5.8%
Sardinian 0.0%
Eastern European 1.0%
Broadly Southern European 12.1%
Broadly Northwestern European 2.6%
Broadly European 2.0%
Western Asian & North African 0.6%
her dna ...got the ydna from her brother is R1a-Z282 ......her mtdna is K1a4

new matches...surnames, Pin, Bazzo and Riner

When 23andme says Greek-Balkan, does it mean there is a Greek component, a Balkan one different from Greek or a single one called Greek-Balkan?
What is Balkan, knowing that there is Slavs, Albanian, Bulgarian with different origins
Can any one explain this to me, since I am confused about these definitions
Try and ask the companies. I think, confusion is also great for them, and you probably will not get a unitary answer as long as each company offers very different results for the same person.

Mine, my mothers and my fathers just upgraded to either 100 percent or near 100 percent "Greek & Balkan"

This thread has been viewed 238404 times.

Back