Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

Oh, I think they've refined the analysis in terms of West Asian and North African. My Calabrian shares now have no North African/Arabian, and the West Asian "high" is about 8 percent.

my wifes results
Italian 69.2%
French & German 2.5%
Spanish & Portuguese 4.2%
Greek & Balkan 5.8%
Sardinian 0.0%
Eastern European 1.0%
Broadly Southern European 12.1%
Broadly Northwestern European 2.6%
Broadly European 2.0%
Western Asian & North African 0.6%
her dna ...got the ydna from her brother is R1a-Z282 ......her mtdna is K1a4
new matches...surnames, Pin, Bazzo and Riner
Wow! Her new results seem good - more accurate - as well.
As for the Y-DNA, the paternal granfather of my mother-in-law was from Udine, and she has a match with a same family name, also from Udine, who is R1a too. As this family name is a somewhat common patronymic, I'm not sure the lines are the same, but it could be.
Apparently Friuli is the only part of Italy with relatively high % of R1a. Not even Veneto would have anything close to it.

"Ethnic" attribution is very strange from one company to another. I know people who have tested with more company and have totally opposite percentages.
For example, 0% Balkans, but huge NE European and some Italian and Geek, with one, but... 92% Balkans with another!!
:confused:

Like random results. Like a lottery...
This can not give us confidence in the tests results!

These Companies assign us the geographic areas of the populations carrying segments of our DNA.

They all use different methodologies, and we should learn how to interpret their results.

imo a small “Ethnic Attribution” shouldn’t be assigned as Ethnicity at all, but as Genetic Trace Mark.

At least it's clean for once, but I liked the previous iteration more.

EElXMf8.png

When 23andme says Greek-Balkan, does it mean there is a Greek component, a Balkan one different from Greek or a single one called Greek-Balkan?
What is Balkan, knowing that there is Slavs, Albanian, Bulgarian with different origins
Can any one explain this to me, since I am confused about these definitions

They explain it themselves in the description of the category.

"
Despite broad cultural and religious diversity, the people of the Balkans are genetically similar to one another, descending from early Mediterranean and Slavic peoples. Island Greeks lack this ancestral Slavic influence and are similar to southern Italians."

According to their definition, the Balkans extend from Moldova to Croatia North and down South to Greece, sans the islands. Cyprus is still grouped with West Asia as far as I know

Eastern European

79.7%

French & German

4.3%

Scandinavian

1.5%

Broadly Northwestern European

10.0%

Broadly European

3.4%

Spanish & Portuguese

0.6%

Broadly Southern European

0.5%

Eastern European 79.7%
Poland

Likely Match
Poland has 16 administrative regions, and we found the strongest evidence of your ancestry in the following 7 regions.

• Silesian Voivodeship

• Lesser Poland Voivodeship
  • Masovian Voivodeship
  • Swietokrzyskie
  • Greater Poland Voivodeship
  • Łódź Voivodeship
  • Lublin Voivodeship

Lithuania

Possible Match

My Results changed alot! These numbers are a bit hard to interpret though.

Italian - 50.6%
Jewish - 18%
Southern European - 7.5%
British and Irish - 5.4%
North Western European - 4.9%
West Asian - 3.5%
European - 3.5%
French and German - 2.5%
Spanish and Portuguese - 1.8%
Scandinavian - 1.6%
Unassigned - 0.4%
West Asian and North African - 0.3%
Sub-Saharan African - 0.1%

50% Italian = 46.2% Italian + 3.8% West Asian
25% Jewish = 18% Ash. + 5.2% Southern European + 1.8% Spanish
25% "American" = 5.4% British/Irish + 4.9% North Western European + 3.8% Italian + 2.5% German/French + 2.3% Southern European + 1.6% Scando + 0.4% Unassigned + 0.1% African

Wow! Her new results seem good - more accurate - as well.
As for the Y-DNA, the paternal granfather of my mother-in-law was from Udine, and she has a match with a same family name, also from Udine, who is R1a too. As this family name is a somewhat common patronymic, I'm not sure the lines are the same, but it could be.
Apparently Friuli is the only part of Italy with relatively high % of R1a. Not even Veneto would have anything close to it.
privately email this name
as for my wife paternal lines .....i traced them back for over 200 years and they are from firstly Gaiarine and then Conegliano Veneto..................her mother is from San Stino di Livenza ( venesia province)
we don't know the true border of Friuli although now it is the Livenza river, but a very old friend from Cividale friuli gave me a read from a book he picked up last year in Italy and basically pordenone and that western part of Friuli was Veneti at the time of the Venetian republic....
Yes, I think there is about 10% R1a in friuli.
I wonder how less in % if you remove this area from the data
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavia_Friulana

privately email this name
as for my wife paternal lines .....i traced them back for over 200 years and they are from firstly Gaiarine and then Conegliano Veneto..................her mother is from San Stino di Livenza ( venesia province)
we don't know the true border of Friuli although now it is the Livenza river, but a very old friend from Cividale friuli gave me a read from a book he picked up last year in Italy and basically pordenone and that western part of Friuli was Veneti at the time of the Venetian republic....
Yes, I think there is about 10% R1a in friuli.
I wonder how less in % if you remove this area from the data
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavia_Friulana
From the last Friuili DNa paper which was 2012, these where the ydna
G2c , G2a, J2b and T1 are remnants of Early Hunter gathers before the arrival of farmers ...............surprised no C and H2 ydna found although these are usually found with G and T in neolithic times in Europe
I2b and I1 would be herders/farmers "black sea area" and I2a and E1b1b are anatolian farmers
R1a and R1b steppe migration
R1b ....20
E1b1b .....16
R1a ....13
I2b ....8
I1 ....6
G2c ...4
J2b ...4
G2a ...3
I2a ...2
T1 ....1
maybe we need to check the east tyrol paper and the above ydna come from friuli alps ( carnico alps )

From the last Friuili DNa paper which was 2012, these where the ydna
G2c , G2a, J2b and T1 are remnants of Early Hunter gathers before the arrival of farmers ...............surprised no C and H2 ydna found although these are usually found with G and T in neolithic times in Europe
I2b and I1 would be herders/farmers "black sea area" and I2a and E1b1b are anatolian farmers
R1a and R1b steppe migration
R1b ....20
E1b1b .....16
R1a ....13
I2b ....8
I1 ....6
G2c ...4
J2b ...4
G2a ...3
I2a ...2
T1 ....1
maybe we need to check the east tyrol paper and the above ydna come from friuli alps ( carnico alps )

wich Jura and why, :unsure:

??

Jura Caves in North Switzerland / SW Germany............

oldest Z19945 found there

Caves and Ice Age Art in the Swabian Jura
Some 35 to 40,000 years ago, humans took up residence in six caves in the Swabian Jura, and left behind unique evidence of their creative endeavours.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caves_and_Ice_Age_Art_in_the_Swabian_Jura
Is this what you mean ?

Yes, thanks.

I saw Jura next to your (our) Y Haplogroup.

I understand now why you did that, you’re suggesting that because the oldest Z19945 was found in the Jūra Caves, It could have originated in North Switzerland / SW Germany.
I guess it’s possible. :)

I have already obtained my results and they are these. Enjoy them, something like this is not found every day. My native population is province of Cádiz, Andalusia, Spain.
Thanks for Sharing your results.
... Rota, El Puerto. I spent about a month in Andalusia years ago and loved it.
Lots of Sevillanas​ music/dance. :)

[QUOTE = Salento; 564196] Gracias por compartir tus resultados.
... Rota, El Puerto. Pasé hace un mes en Andalucía y me encantó.
Un montón de música / danza sevillanas. :)[/CITAR]

Enchanted, it will always be well received in Andalusia. I am more to the north of the province of Cádiz, in the mountain, there is no sea but as a child I spent some summers in Rota.

The second iteration in the recently unlocked "beta" section came with significant updates for me as well.
As i cannot add links to any print screen crops I will just list the updated composition with its subsequent changes:

European 99.9%

I Greek&Balkan 86.1%

I.a Romania - Highly Likely Match:

• Cluj County
  • Sibiu
  • Brașov County
  • Dolj County
  • Mehedinți County
  • Argeș County
  • Ialomița County
  • Bucharest
  • Alba County
  • Mureș County

I.b Greece - Likely Match:

• Peloponnese
  • Ionian Islands

I.c Bulgaria - Possible Match:

• Lovec
  • Veliko Tarnovo Province
  • Burgas
  • Silistra

I.d Croatia - Possible Match:

Šibenik-Knin County

I.e Serbia - Possible Match:

• South Backa District
  • South Banat District
  • Pirot District
  • Bor District
  • Podunavlje District

I.f Bosnia i Hertzegovina - Possible Match:

• Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Republika Srpska

II. Eastern European 3.4%

II.a Poland - Possible Match:

• Lesser Poland Voivodeship
  • Podkarpackie Voivodeship
  • Silesian Voivodeship

II.b Ukraine - Possible Match:
no particular region found

III. Italian 3.3%

III.a Italy - Likely Match:

• Sicily
  • Campania
  • Abruzzo
  • Emilia-Romagna
  • Apulia

French & German 0.3%
"We’re working to identify your more detailed French & German ancestry"

Broadly Southern European 3.3%
Broadly Northwestern European 0.2%
Broadly European 3.3%

Melanesian 0.1%

Broadly Melanesian 0.1%
"We’re working to identify your more detailed Melanesian ancestry"

Additionally I calculated the percentage of relatives from, the total number of inhabitants in each country I have genetic relatives and I've found quite interesting results. From the start I didn't take into account the USA results (225) as they are all European descendants yet impossible to fit them in any European category.

By far, the most stunning result correlated with country's population is the one from Croatia 27 relatives out of 4.15 millions inhabitants 0.000006506% and all of them from a tiny region on the Dalmatian coast, second comes the percentage relative to Romania 110 relatives out of 19.64 millions inhabitants 0.0000056008%, third comes the Slovakian with 22 relatives out of 5.435 millions 0.0000040478, fourth Greece 36 relatives out of 10.77 millions 0.0000033426% and finally BiH 11 results out of 3.507 millions, 0.0000031366.
I just notice a quite strong Croatian connection and adding its neighboring regions of Bosnia and Serbia...it gets even further interesting. In Bosnia and Herzegovina(11 connections) the higher number of relatives comes from the confederation of croats and muslims, neighboring the very Šibenik-Knin County of Croatia(the one giving all my 27 connections from there) as from Serbia(15 connections), the highest number of connections comes from South Backa District, again neighboring a Croatian county of Vukovar Srijem.
And the final idea about that, I share with Poland 40 relatives all spread in 3 southern regions of Poland, a very interesting find being that these 3 actual regions were known in the XI-th century as Chrobatia region inside Poland, an area known as being inhabited by white croatians. From there they seem have migrated into the Balkans and settled on the dalmatian coast.
Perhaps my family name makes more sense in the context? I prefer not to think it is just coincidental... it is ... what/as it is. I am curious to see my French&German connections, perhaps with a future iteration, that section will receive some spots on the map as well.
What i am really curious and a bit baffled is that neither for Hungary nor for Slovakia with whom I share 22 relatives each, there is no point of presence on the Eastern European map.
With Germany I share 26 connections while with Austria 17.

At least it's clean for once, but I liked the previous iteration more.

They explain it themselves in the description of the category.

"
Despite broad cultural and religious diversity, the people of the Balkans are genetically similar to one another, descending from early Mediterranean and Slavic peoples. Island Greeks lack this ancestral Slavic influence and are similar to southern Italians."

According to their definition, the Balkans extend from Moldova to Croatia North and down South to Greece, sans the islands. Cyprus is still grouped with West Asia as far as I know

Last edited:
Additionally I calculated the percentage of relatives from, the total number of inhabitants in each country I have genetic relatives and I've found quite interesting results. From the start I didn't take into account the USA results (225) as they are all European descendants yet impossible to fit them in any European category.
By far, the most stunning result correlated with country's population is the one from Croatia 27 relatives out of 4.15 millions inhabitants 0.000006506% and all of them from a tiny region on the Dalmatian coast, second comes the percentage relative to Romania 110 relatives out of 19.64 millions inhabitants 0.0000056008%, third comes the Slovakian with 22 relatives out of 5.435 millions 0.0000040478, fourth Greece 36 relatives out of 10.77 millions 0.0000033426% and finally BiH 11 results out of 3.507 millions, 0.0000031366.
I just notice a quite strong Croatian connection and adding its neighboring regions of Bosnia and Serbia...it gets even further interesting. In Bosnia and Herzegovina(11 connections) the higher number of relatives comes from the confederation of croats and muslims, neighboring the very Šibenik-Knin County of Croatia(the one giving all my 27 connections from there) as from Serbia(15 connections), the highest number of connections comes from South Backa District, again neighboring a Croatian county of Vukovar Srijem.
And the final idea about that, I share with Poland 40 relatives all spread in 3 southern regions of Poland, a very interesting find being that these 3 actual regions were known in the XI-th century as Chrobatia region inside Poland, an area known as being inhabited by white croatians. From there they seem have migrated into the Balkans and settled on the dalmatian coast.
Perhaps my family name makes more sense in the context? I prefer not to think it is just coincidental... it is ... what/as it is. I am curious to see my French&German connections, perhaps with a future iteration, that section will receive some spots on the map as well.
What i am really curious and a bit baffled is that neither for Hungary nor for Slovakia with whom I share 22 relatives each, there is no point of presence on the Eastern European map.
With Germany I share 26 connections while with Austria 17.

For the relatives, I suggest filtering to 4 grandparents.
Here's a personal example:
Russia - 60 relatives; with 4 grandparents - 0
Germany - 28; with 4gp - 0

So for me the distribution of relatives (without the New World) overall looks like this:

Poland (74)
Ukraine (66)
Russia (60)
Romania (43)
Germany (28)
Hungary (21)
Austria (20)
Italy (18)
Slovakia (16)
United Kingdom (15)
Lithuania (13)
Greece (11)
Belarus (10)
Croatia (9)
Czechia (7)
Moldova (7)
Serbia (7)
France (6)

But when that's filtered down to 4 grandparents, it suddenly makes more sense:

Romania (26)
Poland (15)
Ukraine (12)
Moldova (5)
Hungary (4)
Serbia (4)
Greece (4)
Belarus (3)
United Kingdom (3)
Croatia (2)
Slovakia (2)
Austria (2)
Italy (2)
France (2)
Lithuania (1)
Czechia (0)
Germany (0)
Russia (0)

The second iteration in the recently unlocked "beta" section came with significant updates for me as well.
European 99.9%
I Greek&Balkan 86.1%
(...)

You are from Romania or have Romanians ancestors?
Domogled is an area in Cerna Mountains in Caras-Severin County.

Interesting how just by being from the west versus the east I have no Greek and Balkan and no Eastern European at all. Other than Italian (about 70%), and broad Southern European (9%), it's all French/German and North Western European and Scandinavian. I wonder what my 100% Emilian father would have gotten.

When the scientists say the Italians are the most diverse people in Europe they aren't kidding. :)

Just a point of curiosity. On my report it says 80% of my matches are French German, but when I look at the top matches they assign to me, four out of the five have at least one Italian surname. Are your matches also partly Italian?

oTs4gcj

oTs4gcj

oTs4gcj

Yes, Angela. Also in my case the matches sharing with me larger genome fragments are either Italians of my own parts (or from very close areas) or people of partial Italian roots (with some recent ancestors, from parents to great-grandparents). However, among the first 10 ones of my list also appears a boy who I suppose is completely Bulgarian (has a 9% of Italian, but I don't think it's a recent legacy), and a couple of American women of completely Northern European and / or Eastern European ancestry.

Yes, Angela. Also in my case the matches sharing with me larger genome fragments are either Italians of my own parts (or from very close areas) or people of partial Italian roots (with some recent ancestors, from parents to great-grandparents). However, among the first 10 ones of my list also appears a boy who I suppose is completely Bulgarian (has a 9% of Italian, but I don't think it's a recent legacy), and a couple of American women of completely Northern European and / or Eastern European ancestry.

Yes, I have some weird results like that too, and among my highest matches, so it's unlikely they're false matches. There's one family in the U.S. and one in Sweden who as far as they know are completely Scandinavian in ancestry. I can't figure it out unless my father's area being so isolated means certain bits dating back to the Langobard period have been conserved there. That or they're both wrong about their own ancestry.

This thread has been viewed 235340 times.

Back