Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

It's amazing that Greek Aegean Islands have more 'Italian' than Veneto and Friuli and almost as much as Lombardy! Could it be because of Roman and/or Venetian colonisation? I wonder if they also look more Italian than the Greek average?

That is odd indeed. Let's just say for now that 23andMe misreports some Greek ancestry (Aegean, Anatolia, Cyprus) as Italian. But in western Europe the Italian is probably of Roman origin.

I don't know if it's real Italian ancestry in the Greek Aegean Islands. The 23andMe's Italian label peaks in Southern Italians, anywhere between Molise and Abruzzo, followed by Apulians. The 23andMe Italian category is based on Italian-Americans who are mostly of Southern Italian descent, and only secondarily and to some extent on Central Italians.

On 23andMe the Greek label is included in the Balkan category, and Balkan peaks in Montenegrins and Albanians, and in Greece there have been many migrations from Albania in recent centuries.

Autosomal map based on the data of 23andMe users of full Italian ancestry.

sRhb03A.png

I don't know if it's real Italian ancestry in the Greek Aegean Islands. The 23andMe's Italian label peaks in Southern Italians, anywhere between Molise and Abruzzo, followed by Apulians. The 23andMe Italian category is based on Italian-Americans who are mostly of Southern Italian descent, and only secondarily and to some extent on Central Italians.

On 23andMe the Greek label is included in the Balkan category, and Balkan peaks in Montenegrins and Albanians, and in Greece there have been many migrations from Albania in recent centuries.

Autosomal map based on the data of 23andMe users of full Italian ancestry.

sRhb03A.png

Those are excellent maps! Kudos. Are you the author of the maps? If not, do you know who is?

Those are excellent maps! Kudos. Are you the author of the maps? If not, do you know who is?

The author is a 23andMe's Italian user, the map was posted in an Italian group on Facebook. If you're interested I can try to find his contact.

The author is a 23andMe's Italian user, the map was posted in an Italian group on Facebook. If you're interested I can try to find his contact.

That would be great. What's the name of the Facebook group?

That map shows a pattern and a cline.

1) Italian and Balkan are scored by all the Italians. Balkan shows a Eastern-Western gradient, Italian a Southern-Northern gradient.

2) French & German and British & Irish are scored by Northern and Central Italians only (British & Irish by Sardinians too).

3) Iberian is scored by Northern and Central Italians, and only to a minor extent by Southern Italians like Abruzzesi and Molisani.

3) Mena is only scored by Southern Italians. It peaks in Southern Calabria and Eastern Sicily.

4) Eastern European is only scored by Friulani.

5) Sardinian is scored only by Sardinians (not higher than 27.6% though). Italians don't get on average more than 0.5%.

5) Italian users get a lot of Broadly Northwest European (1), Broadly European (2) and Broadly Southern European (3). Broadly Northwest European is scored by Northern and Central Italians, and to a minor exent by Abruzzesi, Molisani, and northern Campani and Pugliesi.

That would be great. What's the name of the Facebook group?

I got a reply, the author is a Venetian guy, Federico, the same user who made this graph already posted by Regio X. The map wasn't posted by himself in the group. So Regio X can put you in touch with Federico.

23andme_zpsadrzegdp.jpg

The same guy. He also provides the following numbers, for Slovakia (n=16):

- Southern European: 14.3
italian: 0.1
balkan: 10.6
broadly S.E.: 3.6
- Northwestern European: 19.3
french & german: 3.5
british & irish: 1.4
scandinavian: 1.0
broadly NW.E.: 13.4
- Eastern European: 52.0
- Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.1
- Broadly European: 13.6 (it says 3.58, but it's probably a mistake)
- East Asian: 0.2

The same guy. He also provides the following numbers, for Slovakia (n=16):

- Southern European: 14.3
italian: 0.1
balkan: 10.6
broadly S.E.: 3.6
- Northwestern European: 19.3
french & german: 3.5
british & irish: 1.4
scandinavian: 1.0
broadly NW.E.: 13.4
- Eastern European: 52.0
- Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.1
- Broadly European: 13.6 (it says 3.58, but it's probably a mistake)
- East Asian: 0.2

Thanks. I have updated all the maps. Please clear your browser cache to see the changes. It would be great to have some data for Spain (ideally with separate data for the Basques, Catalans and Galicians), Czechs and Austrians so that the maps finally look complete.

Thanks. I have updated all the maps. Please clear your browser cache to see the changes. It would be great to have some data for Spain (ideally with separate data for the Basques, Catalans and Galicians), Czechs and Austrians so that the maps finally look complete.

One Spanish result.

Maternal: Galicia, Cantabria, Asturias, Burgos, Granada, Almería y Málaga.
Paternal: Tóledo y Ávila.

KGUpi55.png

My own statistics for Venetians (roots in TV and BL provinces mainly) based on 12 samples to which I have access, including 2 (my father and I) with a little "touch" of MN and 1 with a little touch of UD. :) The scores don't total 100% because of the rounding down, and I discarded those below 0,1%.

- Southern European: 55,3
italian: 31.0
balkan: 4.1
iberian: 1.3
sardinian: 0.1
broadly S.E.: 18.3
- Northwestern European: 36.2
french & german: 15.5
british & irish: 2.7

scandinavian: 0.1
broadly NW.E.: 18.2
- Eastern European: 0.2
- Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.2
- Broadly European: 8.0

My mother presents the highest Balkan % (7.6) from the list, followed by my father (7.1). I have the highest Iberian % (4.9) and Scandinavian % (0.8).

Excluding those 3:

- Southern European: 52,8
italian: 30.0
balkan: 3.5
iberian: 1.1
sardinian: 0.2
broadly S.E.: 17.3
- Northwestern European: 38.4
french & german: 17.7
british & irish: 1.5
scandinavian: 0.1
broadly NW.E.: 19.0
- Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.2
- Broadly European: 8.3

The statistics below are more accurate, because they include many more samples (from all parts of Veneto, I guess). They have been done some months ago by a 23andMe user from Veneto.
Veneto (n=38), Lombardy (n=24), Tuscany (n=12) and Sicily (n=50):

Interesting how your french-german is above the average of 12%
, most likely due to your Belluno province of Veneto.

Following my paternal line via registry data , mine as well is usually above 12% but my line came from Trentino alto-adige prior to ~1600, towns of Magre`, Tres, Dermulo, Smarano and val de Sol.

Maybe the French-German really means the ancient alpine tribes be it french, italian, austrian, german, swiss etc

Greece - Ionian islands (n=3)
Balkan 37.73%
Italian 41.17%
Broadly South 13.97%
East 0.5%
Broadly Northwest 0.8%
MENA 3.53%

Interesting how your french-german is above the average of 12%
, most likely due to your Belluno province of Veneto.

Following my paternal line via registry data , mine as well is usually above 12% but my line came from Trentino alto-adige prior to ~1600, towns of Magre`, Tres, Dermulo, Smarano and val de Sol.

Maybe the French-German really means the ancient alpine tribes be it french, italian, austrian, german, swiss etc
Most of my contacts with Venetian background are related to TV and get more than 12% (three have less). The F & G % in my list vary from 5.7 (this person has the highest British & I.) to 30%. Your son has the third highest F & G % I've ever seen in a Venetian. Possibly it represents some "Swiss like" ancestry. I don't know.

It is going to be difficult to make those maps accurate as you would need a relatively large sample set. I share with a large amount of Irish people and while they have high levels of British & Irish they have slightly different amounts of other categories. Many have small amounts of Scandinavian, Finnish and surprisingly many have trace amounts of East Asian and Native American.

Hi everybody.
All my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents are italians from eastern Emilia (Ferrara/Bologna) and Romagna (Rimini/Forlì).
These are my results from 23andMe:

Italian 54.6%
Balkan 6.5%
Iberian 6.0%
Sardinian 0.3%
Broadly Southern European 16.0%
French & German 1.1%
Broadly Northwestern European 7.4%
Broadly European 7.2%
Middle Eastern & North African 0.8%
East Asian & Native American <0.1%
Sub-Saharan African <0.1%
Unassigned 0.2%

It is going to be difficult to make those maps accurate as you would need a relatively large sample set. I share with a large amount of Irish people and while they have high levels of British & Irish they have slightly different amounts of other categories. Many have small amounts of Scandinavian, Finnish and surprisingly many have trace amounts of East Asian and Native American.

Would you mind posting the percentages of other Irish people with whom you are sharing? No need to mention their names of course.

Most of my contacts with Venetian background are related to TV and get more than 12% (three have less). The F & G % in my list vary from 5.7 (this person has the highest British & I.) to 30%. Your son has the third highest F & G % I've ever seen in a Venetian. Possibly it represents some "Swiss like" ancestry. I don't know.

We know that Austrians became Austrians from 998AD and where initially Bavarians . We also know Bavarians where the last of the German groups to become German after the fall of the Roman Empire ...............the question seems to me is that who or where or are the Tyrolese ..........clearly they are either alpine Gallic tribes or Raetic tribes.

Belluno ( where some of your ancestors are from ) and south-tyrol clearly fall into ancient Raetic zones

Here is the map of East European admixture. I would need more data from East Germany, Czechia, Austria, Slovenia, Estonia, northern Russia, Moldova, the Volga-Ural region, the Caucasus and Turkey to work out the gradients.

23andMe_East_European.png

Here is the map of East European admixture. I would need more data from East Germany, Czechia, Austria, Slovenia, Estonia, northern Russia, Moldova, the Volga-Ural region, the Caucasus and Turkey to work out the gradients.

23andMe_East_European.png

I think Serbia should have the same color (and percentages) as Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. And does Turkey really have 1-5%?

These are results collected by myself. The Italian ones are not included in those already posted, as I know.

Italy - Piedmont (n=1)

-- Southern European: 57%
Italian: 34.1%
Balkan: 2.0%
Iberian: 1.6%
Broadly Southern European: 19.3%
-- Northwestern European: 33.5%
French & German: 9.2%
British & Irish: 4.2 %
Broadly Northwestern European: 20.1 %
-- Broadly European: 8.9%
--Middle Eastern & North African 0.3%
North African: 0.3%
- East Asian & Native American
Broadly East Asian: 0.1%

Italy - Lombardy (n=4)

-- Southern European: 71.8%
Italian: 51.3 %
Iberian: 3.9 %
Balkan: 1.3 %
Sardinian: 0.8%
Broadly Southern European: 14.5%
-- Northwestern European: 22.9%
French & German: 7.1 %
British & Irish: 2.3%
Broadly Northwestern European: 13.4 %
-- Broadly European: 5.2%

Italy - Tuscany (n=4)

-- Southern European: 81.9%
Italian: 63.9 %
Iberian: 2.5 %
Balkan: 1.7 %
Sardinian: 0.2%
Broadly Southern European: 13.6%
-- Northwestern European: 13.5%
French & German: 3.7 %
British & Irish: 2.1 %
Broadly Northwestern European: 7.7%
-- Broadly European: 4.5%
-- Ashkenazi Jewish: 0.02%

Italy - South Tyrol (n=1)

-- Southern European: 20.5%
Italian: 5.6%
Iberian: 1.7%
Sardinian: 1.1%
Broadly Southern European: 12.1%
-- Northwestern European: 72%
French & German: 42.6%
British & Irish: 5.8%
Scandinavian: 1.3%
Broadly Northwestern European: 22.3 %
-- Broadly European: 7.4%

Croatia - Dalmatia (n=1)

-- Southern European: 65.8%
Balkan: 61%
Broadly Southern European: 4.8%
-- Eastern European 23.5%
-- Broadly Northwestern European: 1.2%
-- Broadly European: 9.4%

Sweden (n=1)

-- Northwestern European: 98.5%
Scandinavian: 63.7%
French & German: 4.4%
British & Irish: 5.7%
Finnish: 0.9%
Broadly Northwestern European: 23.8%
-- Eastern European: 0.3%
-- Broadly European: 0.9%
-- East Asian & Native American: 0.2%

I think Serbia should have the same color (and percentages) as Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. And does Turkey really have 1-5%?

According to the 16 Serbian samples shared by Regio X, Serbia has only 9% of Eastern European, against 16-17% for Croatia and Bosnia.

I only have 5 samples from Turkey, but the average is 1.2% Eastern European.

This thread has been viewed 235340 times.

Back