23andMe Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

fyTLOtI.png

I just received mine today :)

fyTLOtI.png

I just received mine today :)

I've never, ever seen results like that for a southern Italian from 23andme. I've never seen anyone get 100% southern European, either.

I wonder if it has something to do with the V5 chip? Do you know any other southern Italians who have been tested using the V5 chip?

The "West Asian" percentages southern Italians usually get are also gone. Do you know if the algorithm was changed for the V5 chip, or the "centrum" or reference samples for "Italian"? I wonder if they moved it to southern Italy.

Oh, I think the 35% "Balkan" might make some sense, given that all your ancestry is from Puglia.

That's it, I'm going to "waste" the money and retest on the V5 and see how it compares.

I've never, ever seen results like that for a southern Italian from 23andme. I've never seen anyone get 100% southern European, either.
I wonder if it has something to do with the V5 chip? Do you know any other southern Italians who have been tested using the V5 chip?
The "West Asian" percentages southern Italians usually get are also gone. Do you know if the algorithm was changed for the V5 chip, or the "centrum" or reference samples for "Italian"? I wonder if they moved it to southern Italy.
Oh, I think the 35% "Balkan" might make some sense, given that all your ancestry is from Puglia.
That's it, I'm going to "waste" the money and retest on the V5 and see how it compares.

I don't know, but I'm thinking about getting the DNA kit for my mother and father. They have a sale right now for $49 each, if you order more than one, which lasts until Thanksgiving.

It would be interesting to see how the older version and the new version compares.

My results were done super quick as well. It only reached the lab on Oct. 17th, and I received them on today.

This is from v4 Chip, also from Puglia:
3968549be8df391b7133ae7199f96bf3.jpg

Salento, you should retake the test too to see how it compares. Not that I like telling people how to spend their money : )
I’m going to use your V5 chip as a reference. If a take the new Test it might be similar to Yours. [emoji2]

I think that they replaced the MENA with higher Balkans %. Maybe.

I’m going to use your V5 chip as a reference. If a take the new Test it might be similar to Yours. [emoji2]

I also think you should come out like jovialis, are you from the same area?

Would be nice if results from this new version can be used for the new ancient calculator :(. Thats pretty much the only calculator I'm willing to try!

Come out? Like being from Southern Italy is like being a closet homosexual?

I've never known a Sicilian, for example, not to say he was a Sicilian. It's usually the first thing they tell you.

I don't know where you get some of this stuff.

Would be nice if results from this new version can be used for the new ancient calculator :(. Thats pretty much the only calculator I'm willing to try!

Where he's from is in his username.

I've never known a Sicilian, for example, not to say he was a Sicilian. It's usually the first thing they tell you.
That's not what I meant! I meant "come out" as in "score", I used it interchangeably with that word and wasn't in any way shape or form implying that being from southern Italy is like being a closet homosexual! What led you to this idea?

I think Davef was trying to say that if I take the V5 test my results would be kind of similar as Jovalis.

That's not what I meant! I meant "come out" as in "score", I used it interchangeably with that word and wasn't in any way shape or form implying that being from southern Italy is like being a closet homosexual! What led you to this idea?

Davef, maybe you used the phrase inappropriately. That's fine, no problem, but you can't deny that's how that term is used. You know, as in Kevin Spacey "coming out" as a homosexual. Why he thinks it was news to anyone is a different story.

I would think that to elicit the information in which you were interested you'd just say, "Where did your ancestors in Italy come from?"

It made it sound as if it were something of which to be ashamed, or something which had previously been hidden. If that's not what you meant, again, fine.

Salento, you should retake the test too to see how it compares. Not that I like telling people how to spend their money :)

Would retaking as an Albanian make any difference? Or am I likely to get 94 plus Balkan as before?

Davef, maybe you used the phrase inappropriately. That's fine, no problem, but you can't deny that's how that term is used. You know, as in Kevin Spacey "coming out" as a homosexual. Why he thinks it was news to anyone is a different story.

I would think that to elicit the information in which you were interested you'd just say, "Where did your ancestors in Italy come from?"

It made it sound as if it were something of which to be ashamed, or something which had previously been hidden. If that's not what you meant, again, fine.
Thanks, but I didn't use it inappropriately, take a look at 1.3:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/come_out

Come out çan be used interchangeably with score.

And why would I have even bothered asking him to admit his southern Italian heritage to begin with? He has "Italian" listed as his ethnicity, he's posted test results consistant with being fully southern Italian, on top of his numerous posts about his heritage.

I'm not upset with you and i apologize in advance if I sound that way, I was just correcting your interpretation of my post ;)

keOQ5iI.png

23andMe got back to me with an answer to our question.

@Dibran

Not sure, but right now they have a good sale on the dna kit ($49 for 2 or more)

Interesting. So it's not that they pruned their original set of snps, but that they are using a different set of ancestry snps, ones they think are more accurate, presumably.

I'm more interested than ever to see some more Italian samples analyzed by the v5 chip.

keOQ5iI.png

23andMe got back to me with an answer to our question.

@Dibran

Not sure, but right now they have a good sale on the dna kit ($49 for 2 or more)

Just checked with the user Kelmandasi results. Seems like for Albanians it makes little difference, Still scoring mostly Balkan. I got 94 Balkan, so I imagine it wont really tell me much. Though, if they had an upgrade option for a small fee, I would do it. To rebuy the kit? probably not. Unless its to test other family members.

“I’m coming out” LOL
Gedmatch:
132cec85a79af5c5e0c0d07f40eb6d9e.jpg

ef484d834cfc5921b952bc03a37f4272.png

This thread has been viewed 237845 times.

Back