33% North-West Euro
24% Balkan

Same Czech 23andMe (47% Eastern Euro):

46,6% Eastern European
22,0% Broadly European*
16,2% North-West European
15,1% South-East Euro (mostly Balkan)
0,1% East Asian

*Not sure why such a huge amount of this?

It's me with old 23andme! (y) I think Maciamo has already used my results.
Here is a Bohemian from Central Bohemian Region (around Prague) on DNA.Land:
DNA.Land1.jpg

Thanks a lot Tomenable, srdceleva and Syky for sharing this new data. I have further refined the East European map by making the shades more distinct from one another as I couldn't see well the difference between the 30-40, 40-50 and 50-60.

I have also updated the Balkans, BSE, BNWE, French & German, and British & Irish maps. Don't forget to clear your browser cache to see the changes.

From Madrid, Spain.

Ancestors from Madrid, Cataluña, Guadalajara and Extremadura.

Paternal line : R1b
Maternal line: X

Ancestry composition 23andme:

99.8% European

Southern European 80.9%
67.9% Iberian
2.5% Italian
10.4% Broadly Southern European

Northwestern European 15.3%
7.0% British & Irish
0.2% French & German
8.1% Broadly Northwestern European

0.2% Ashkenazi Jewish

3.4% Broadly European

< 0.1% Oceanian

< 0.1% North African

< 0.1% Unassigned

Here is a Bohemian from Central Bohemian Region (around Prague) on DNA.Land:
View attachment 8624
(S)he has so much of "Ambiguous" because (s)he uploaded the file soon after DNA Land launched its services. Tell him/her to re-upload his/her raw data, I'm quite sure that the results are going to be different this time.

23 and me results for an ethnic rusyn from far east Slovakia
24922ce0aba6b13ab69df776c3e42428.jpg

23andMe results for an ethnic Bosniak Muslim from southwestern Serbia (municipality of Prijepolje):

European: 99.6%
Balkan: 78.1%
Italian: 1%
Broadly Southern European: 5.3%
Eastern European: 6.6%
Broadly Northwestern European: 3.5%
Broadly European: 5.0%

After transferring from 23andMe to DNA.Land:

West Eurasian: 100%
North Slavic: 33%
Balkan: 23%
Mediterranean Islander: 18%
Northwest European: 15%
Sardinian: 5.2%
Ashkenazi: 3.2%
Central Asian: 1.5%

Last edited:
23andMe results for an ethnic Bosniak Muslim from southwestern Serbia (municipality of Prijepolje):

European: 99.6%
Balkan: 78.1%
Italian: 1%
Broadly Southern European: 5.3%
Eastern European: 6.6%
Broadly Northwestern European: 3.5%
Broadly European: 5.0%

After transferring from 23andMe to DNA.Land:

West Eurasian: 100%
North Slavic: 33%
Balkan: 23%
Mediterranean Islander: 18%
Northwest European: 15%
Sardinian: 5.2%
Ashkenazi: 3.2%
Central Asian: 1.5%

Equally Balkanic as me on DNA.Land. Interesting...

Their methodology is designed in such a way, that they can ignore minor and older admixtures:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...500-1000-years?p=507243&viewfull=1#post507243

23andMe's speculative mode greatly overestimates major components, and underestimates minor components. This is due to their methodology of snipping the genome into 100 SNP segments to compare against the limited references they have. So for example, if 60% of the the segment indicates Middle Eastern, and 40% indicates S Asian, that segment is assigned 100% Middle Eastern. In effect 40% of the segment, which is S Asian is ignored, and the whole segment is assigned Middle-Eastern.

Also, their methodology includes segment smoothing, which means if there are chunks of minor components in a segment, they are ignored.

That is how Iranians and W Asians turn out 98-100% Middle Eastern, and folks in neighboring Pakistan turn out 98-100% S Asian in speculative mode.

This naturally is unrealistic and uninformative, because you don't need a test to tell you that. Conservative mode is better with regards to inflation of major components and underestimation of minor components, but the trouble here is that people get 5-70% unassigned. This is where your minor components are hidden.

The above translates to 23andMe being useless for figuring out your minor components to any degree of accuracy.

Their ancestry report tells you more about recent geographical affinities than deep genetic affinities.

I think that GEDmatch is still the best if you want to know your "racial breakdown" (so to speak).

Their methodology is designed in such a way, that they can ignore minor and older admixtures:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...500-1000-years?p=507243&viewfull=1#post507243
Their ancestry report tells you more about recent geographical affinities than deep genetic affinities.

I think that GEDmatch is still the best if you want to know your "racial breakdown" (so to speak).

It doesn't exist a "best for all people", there are different perspectives. Racial? Extremely laughable.

my sons results must come via his mother as her K1a4 matches are Villach, Linz, and other Austrian places .............she also has veneti, friuli, finnish and bulgarian matches ...and surprising no other italian matches

You probably have already read this

"The mitogenomes of 42 haplogroup K individuals from Eastern Italian Alps were analyzed (Table S1). The most frequently observed K1 Alpine haplogroups were K1a4 and K1a1, similar to the worldwide K1 distribution (Fig. 1) and K1a + 195 (Table S2). Rare haplogroups were also observed in this study such as K1a19 and K1a24, and K1e1, which was represented in our dataset by a novel haplotype defined by a specific transition in the coding region (transition A15244G; sample #111Gm in the Fig. S2). Neither the Iceman’s lineage nor any other intermediate haplotypes of K1f were detected."

Whole mitochondrial DNA sequencing in Alpine populations and the genetic history of the Neolithic Tyrolean Iceman

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4725900/

You probably have already read this

"The mitogenomes of 42 haplogroup K individuals from Eastern Italian Alps were analyzed (Table S1). The most frequently observed K1 Alpine haplogroups were K1a4 and K1a1, similar to the worldwide K1 distribution (Fig. 1) and K1a + 195 (Table S2). Rare haplogroups were also observed in this study such as K1a19 and K1a24, and K1e1, which was represented in our dataset by a novel haplotype defined by a specific transition in the coding region (transition A15244G; sample #111Gm in the Fig. S2). Neither the Iceman’s lineage nor any other intermediate haplotypes of K1f were detected."

Whole mitochondrial DNA sequencing in Alpine populations and the genetic history of the Neolithic Tyrolean Iceman

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4725900/

all 42 have been placed with GenBank via Ian Logan

The French & German and the British & Irish components are less useful to differentiate ancient ancestry in the Benelux, as they are both hybrid components mixing ancient Celtic and Germanic populations.
The British & Irish component, although peaking in the British Isles, might represent Germanic ancestry of Danish, Saxon and Frisian origin in the Low Countries, where Insular Celtic ancestry in very low. 23andMe simply seems to have amalgamated all ancestries found in Ireland and Scotland to create this component, including Anglo-Saxon DNA. It should ideally be split in two to clearly differentiate Celtic from West Germanic ancestry. Outside the British Islesand France, this admixture peaks in Northwest Germany and Frisia, the ancient homeland of the Anglo-Saxons. It is higher in Flanders (23.5%, ranging from 16% to 38%) higher than Wallonia (17.5%, ranging from 6% to 30%), which makes sense since the Germanic ancestry of Flemings comes from both the Saxons and Franks, while in Wallonia is comes mostly from the Franks. Interestingly, the Dutch provinces of Noord-Brabant and Limburg get a closer score (17%) to Wallonia, and also have more Frankish ancestry historically. The northern provinces score 20 to 25%, similar to Denmark and Flanders. The Dutch average is 25%.
The French & German shows the reverse pattern of the British & Irish component. This admixture probably correspond to a blend of Gaulish and Frankish ancestry. It is in fact higher in Wallonia (45%, ranging from 28% to 70%) than in Flanders (36%, ranging from 10% to 46%). The Netherlands also has a strong north-south gradient, with 40% in the south and 18% in the north. The French and German admixture peaks in Wallonia, southern Germany and Switzerland, a region were the Franks and Alemani/Suebi mixed with the descendants of the La Tène Celts.

Hey Maciamo, do you know if there are any DNA samples from Iron Age German/Roman's Germania Tribes? I'm wondering if there is an algarithm us Western Europeans can use to differentiate our Celtic and Germanic ancestry. :)

Hey Maciamo, do you know if there are any DNA samples from Iron Age German/Roman's Germania Tribes? I'm wondering if there is an algarithm us Western Europeans can use to differentiate our Celtic and Germanic ancestry. :)

Iron Age British Celts and Anglo-Saxons were both tested (Hinxton genomes). Unfortunately we can't run their genomes on 23andMe to see what their admixtures would be.

A couple Albanians that shared their genome via 23andme:

99.8%
European

Southern European
90.7%
Balkan
1.0%
Italian
3.1%
Broadly Southern European

Northwestern European
1.6%
Broadly Northwestern European
3.4%
Broadly European
0.2%
East Asian & Native American

East Asian
0.2%
Yakut
< 0.1%
Broadly East Asian
< 0.1%
Unassigned

99.6%
European

Southern European
86.1%
Balkan
0.7%
Sardinian
4.8%
3.8%
Eastern European

Northwestern European
0.9%
0.2%
Ashkenazi Jewish
3.3%
Broadly European
0.3%

East Asian
0.3%
Broadly East Asian
< 0.1%
Broadly East Asian & Native American
< 0.1%
Sub-Saharan African
< 0.1%
Central & South African
< 0.1%
Unassigned

100%
European

Southern European
94.4%
Balkan
4.7%
0.4%
Eastern European
0.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish

Northwestern European
0.1%
0.3%
Broadly European

_________________________-
99.7%
European

Southern European
93.3%
Balkan
4.6%

Northwestern European
0.2%
British & Irish
0.5%
0.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish
1.0%
Broadly European
0.3%

East Asian
0.2%
Mongolian
0.1%
Broadly East Asian
< 0.1%
Unassigned

_____________________-
99.9%
European

Southern European
88.0%
Balkan
1.8%
Italian
6.7%

Northwestern European
0.4%
3.1%
Broadly European
0.1%
0.1%
Broadly East Asian & Native American
< 0.1%
Unassigned

Iron Age British Celts and Anglo-Saxons were both tested (Hinxton genomes). Unfortunately we can't run their genomes on 23andMe to see what their admixtures would be.

Not a problem, I think geneticists from the documentary "Britain AD said that Anglo-Saxons were closest genetically to the modern Dutch populations; especially Flanders and the Dutch are descended from Belgae/Frankish to the south and Germania/Frankish to the north. I'm 100% mathematically improvising here but it appears that the Dutch are a Mixture of only Unknown European, Scandinavian, French/German and British/Irish Components. I think the Dutch might make a good proxy especially if R1b-U152 tribes/Alledged French/German component never made it past the Rhine before the Roman era. If not then French/German would be eliminated from the Jastorf Culture all together. Just a thought :).

Last edited:
Can some one explain to me why my Broadly European is so high?

European 99.1%
Southern European 74.8%
Italian 30.9%
Balkan 23.6
Broadly Southern European 20.4%
North Western European 16.7%
French and German 3.8%
British and Irish 2%
Scandinavian 1.3%
Broadly Northwest European 9.7%
Eastern European 2.4%
Ashkenazi Jew .01%
Broadly European 4.8%
Middle Eastern and North African .8%
Unassigned .02%

European 99.1%
Southern European 74.8%
Italian 30.9%
Balkan 23.6
French and German 3.8%
British and Irish 2%
Scandinavian 1.3%
Eastern European 2.4%
Ashkenazi Jew .01%
Broadly European 4.8%
Unassigned .02%

I remember asking the same question on this blog earlier, apparently the "Broadly European" is most likely WHG/European Mesolithic genes.

From Belgium Prov Luxembourg ( Ardenne). 6 g?n?rations, 64 Great parents, All coming from the same aerea between Bouillon-Arlon-Houffalyse
autosomial result from 23 and me
Northwestern European 87.7% French & German 35.9%
British & Irish 21.3%
Scandinavian 2.3%
Finnish 0.0%
Broadly Northwestern European 28.1%
Southern European 6.0%
Italian 2.3%
Sardinian 0.0%
Iberian 0.0%
Balkan 0.0%
Broadly Southern European 3.7%

Ashkenazi Jewish < 0.1%

Eastern European 0.0%

Broadly European 6.2%

European 99.1%
Southern European 74.8%
Italian 30.9%
Balkan 23.6
French and German 3.8%
British and Irish 2%
Scandinavian 1.3%
Eastern European 2.4%
Ashkenazi Jew .01%
Broadly European 4.8%
Unassigned .02%

Stay cool, my "Broadly European" is 20% ;)

This thread has been viewed 237916 times.

Back