Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

@Maciamo: Do you still change the maps after the latest updates? I have 7 samples from Upper Austria, more from its Western parts. They seem to be deeply rooted there, with some distant genealogical connections especially to Southern Bavaria, Lower Austria and Styria. If you still update, I may look around for more Central European samples.

These are quite uniform with little variation - most of the Southern European being put by 23andme forward or backward between Iberia, Italy and Balkan. The Western Asian is present at trace levels in all of them (in one it was assigned to AJ at the same level), I'd assume from Roman times, because the Celto-Roman population survived there better than in some other places probably where even less was left, also according to regional place names (n = 7):
99,52857European
82,2North Western European
64,14286French & German
4,371429British & Irish
1,714286Scandinavian
11,97143Broadly North Western
6,885714Southern European
0,757143Greek & Balkan
3,557143Italian
0,428571Spanish & Portuguese
2,142857Broadly Southern European
3,785714Eastern European
6,628571Broadly European
0,2Western Asian & North African
0,028571Ashkenazi Jewish
0,028571East Asian & Native American

One year later 23andme recalculated my ancestry composition, the previous one being done like 9th of October 2019 or something.
The one I got now seems....so damn simplified 100% European, 100% South European, 100% Greek and Balkans... :petrified:
What can I say...hmm boring :)) I miss my eastern European percents, my northwestern European bits, I even miss my Cypriot tiny bits...so boring :unsure: SmartSelect_20201023-200210_Chrome.jpg

Mine is...interesting...but is better by leaps and bounds than Ancestry, which does not appear to pick up any trace of my father's maternal grandfather in me; his parents were from Palazzo Adriano, Sicily. E68ED982-534D-464E-9D07-481CD1388F4D.jpg

... bought it, ... again! ... waiting game ...

Mine updated, it used to be around 60% Balkan and 30% Eastern European. Now I'm much more Balkan, and related to Greeks? Uh, also... slightly related to Sudanese and Japanese...

23andme1.png
23andme2.jpg
23andme3.jpg

So does this mean I'm part Greek? I am a bit more southern shifted than typical Croats or Bosnians, according to my Eurogenes. Or is the Greek a stand-in for Illyrian? If it's the later why wouldn't it show me as being related to Albanians? Also for my Eurogenes I get connected to Greeks a lot (they're my closest related Southern Europeans), so regardless if I have true Greek ancestors, I must have descent from people who are related to Greeks in some way regardless. Or... is this relation due to the Slavic invasions of the Greek peninsula? I don't know how much Slavic DNA typical Greeks have. But I'm definitely not identical to Poles, Czechs or Slovaks it seems!

Also... haha what is with the 0.1% Japanese and Sudanese!? Is that just a system error? If not I'm buying a katana and starting my own clan tomorrow.

Is there any limit @1500 relatives only?
New ones keep popping yet counter's set in stone at 1500.

My updated results:

European 99.9%
-Southern European 99.9%
--Greek & Balkan 90.3%
--Italian 6.8%
--Broadly Southern European 2.8%
Trace Ancestry 0.1%
-North African 0.1%

... breakdown:
detected / not detected

1y18eZQ.jpg

U8aRonZ.jpg

Neanderthal:
FR7rOtc.jpg

Here is mine:

01F5q6N.png

I feel like this breakdown makes sense, the Iranian, Caucasian, & Mesopotamian, is excess CHG/IN.

Not bad considering the V5 chip only reads about 30% of the genotype coverage. As per uploading it and seeing the results on Admixture studio 2.5.

At any rate, the Ancestry chip is much better, it covers about 90%, and there is indeed a stark difference.

It would be interesting to see what the 23andme algorithm would give me with my Superkit raw data, which coverages about 95%.

The more samples they get from Italy, the higher this will go.

WR66nMj.png

8DyocPj9ZE4TwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The 4% Sardinian doesn't surprise me. I always come up with high scores for settlements in Old Europe, i.e. Copper to Early Bronze Age "natives". It draws me "south". Sardinian boats make the run to La Spezia constantly, so, as I said, no surprise.

Neither is Provence-Cote d'Azur a surprise. I'm a quarter Ligurian, after all. Not much difference genetically on either side of that rather recent political border. Heck, Garibaldi was born on the other side of it, and tons of the last names there are Italian.

How they don't classify that and the southwest of France as "Southern European" is beyond me.

So, I think that 10% and 4% should be added to my "Italian" total. :)

I apparently have more of my father in me than my mother, however, which doesn't at all surprise me, either. I may look more like her, but I'm definitely my father's daughter in mostly everything else.

no change for myself

@torzio
Ancestry Composition was updated to 5.9 only for chip v5 so far. I tested v4, for example, and I'm still at 5.2 (from abt. one year ago).

The more samples they get from Italy, the higher this will go.

WR66nMj.png

8DyocPj9ZE4TwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The 4% Sardinian doesn't surprise me. I always come up with high scores for settlements in Old Europe, i.e. Copper to Early Bronze Age "natives". It draws me "south". Sardinian boats make the run to La Spezia constantly, so, as I said, no surprise.

Neither is Provence-Cote d'Azur a surprise. I'm a quarter Ligurian, after all. Not much difference genetically on either side of that rather recent political border. Heck, Garibaldi was born on the other side of it, and tons of the last names there are Italian.

How they don't classify that and the southwest of France as "Southern European" is beyond me.

So, I think that 10% and 4% should be added to my "Italian" total. :)

I apparently have more of my father in me than my mother, however, which doesn't at all surprise me, either. I may look more like her, but I'm definitely my father's daughter in mostly everything else.

Comparison with Ancestry:
Northern Italy85%

France11%

Spain4%

I like their timeline feature. This is the earliest: 1750.

3ujmSEL.png

I just had a strange match show up. She's only a 5th-8th cousin match, but surname from around Carrara, so definitely a relative on my mother's side. She looks more like me than my own brother, more than anyone except my mother. Even my first cousins on my mother's side don't look as much like me.

I suppose then it's a "Tuscan" look, while my brother looks completely Emilian.

Genes are really weird; a complete crap shoot.

Here’s mine:

View attachment 12385

The Italian/Sicilian is a little low but otherwise their upgrade was an improvement.

23andme says: ... What do you and Thomas Jefferson have in common ???

... :unsure:... :petrified: ... not that, ...

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" :)

PmjBX1h.jpg

This thread has been viewed 235508 times.

Back