Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

They don’t include Salento because of the Griko population.
I might not have Griko Ancestry, and my genes are closer to other Apulians.

EDITED:
I mean that I’m not related to recent Medievel Greeks, but rather to older Magna Grecia or older. Same as other Apulians.

Well, I don't know from where you draw your ancestry, but northern Apulia didn't really fit into Magna Graecia according to most scholars. The migration might have been more from people a bit further north in the Balkans. However, there would have been a lot of mixing over the centuries since, obviously. I also don't think the Byzantines were only in the Salento. Of course, for the Byzantines, they expanded greatly and then there was a huge contraction.

greek-colonies-550.jpg

1200px-AntikeGriechen1.jpg

The Byzantine Empire in 1025.

1920px-Map_Byzantine_Empire_1025-en.svg.png

64946-004-CB78E6D2.jpg

As for the Griko language, last time I checked there's no agreement as to whether it descends from the ancient Greek of Magna Graecia or the Byzantine Greek of the Middle Ages or both. Regardless, Greek was spoken throughout the Greek Byzantine dominions. These are only the remnants where people just wouldn't give it up, from what I can tell. One of my husband's lines spoke it until two centuries ago, in Calabria, where it's almost gone today.

Last edited:
@Angela
I should have said Balkans for Center/North Puglia, and Magna Grecia or older for Salento and Taranto.
My bad ...

My Town is not part of Grecia Salentina, and the dialect is Italic.

They don’t include Salento because of the Griko population.
I might not have the local Griko Ancestry, and my genes are closer to other Apulians.

EDITED:
I mean that ........

EDITED:
In Puglia, mainly Salento and Taranto has a segment of the population that carries Ancestry of Magna Grecia.
The rest of Puglia does not, or not as much.

Last edited:
View attachment 10603

This is what I got for my 36.4% Half Italian ancestry. The rest of it comes out with Broadly Southern at 20%, Balkan at 1.9% and West Asian at 2.1%

Y-DNA: I - Z17855

mtDNA: V
[h=2][/h]

BEING ME 100%

• European

99.5%

• Balkan

96.4%

• Italian

0.6%

• Ashkenazi Jewish

0.2%

• Broadly Southern European

1.8%

• Broadly European

0.6%
  • Western Asian & North African

0.2%

• Broadly Western Asian & North African

0.2%
  • Unassigned

0.1%

• No Data Available

In theory, about 500 years, I guess. In theory...
Not sure, but assuming these additional French & German plus NW European %s in Venetians ("additional" compared to most of other Italians) tend to be in fact (Southern) French mostly - rather than Northern French or German -, like my own results suggest, I wonder if it wouldn't be a clue that it has almost nothing to do with the invasions of Lombards, Goths or whatever. And I'm not aware of any big movements from France/Swiss to NE Italy in recent times. Perhaps it's nothing more than shared ancestry with some Central Europeans, notably French and Swiss?

i think this is older than 500 years

i get this below for 500years or less
distance%: 0.83

Italian_Bergamo 57.11
German 22.37
Slovenian 20.52

If you go to "Settings" and opt into their beta program, then they will unlock this for you.

Thank you sir for being so kind to share how to join their beta program and to unlock an interesting new tool. I think it will need to come a long way in terms of improvement, perhaps future optimizations will bring more accurate results. But, as it is a beta feature, I believe it has to be taken exactly as it is, an early stage of an upcoming feature. My composition consists of three major groups: Balkan, Eastern European and Italian.
Unfortunately I had to edit my post as I am not allowed to add any links at this early stage.
Maybe some other time then.

Clicking on my Italian which increased to 36% ( rounding )
Taking away family members .....2 matches with Trentini ......
My 14% french -German
3 matches with Austrians and 2 with Germans ( hmm, no french ) .............2 Austrians have Italian surnames, Cisneros from south-tyrol and Moro from Veneto
My 3 % Balkan
matches with 1 each of Croatian, Montenegrin and Romanian ( is Romania really Balkan ?)
My 3% UK
all matches just say united kingdom
1% Sardinia
zero matches.
26% NW-Europe
zero matches.
15% south Europe
zero matches
1% westAsian.
1% east-Asian

23andme updated the percentages yesterday...mine are above....italian received a major change
.the beta map stayed the same
also many new alpine matches from italians/austrians with surnames
Penner, Linter, Segurini, Serrer, Zardo, Tezzele, Koestenberger, Moschitz, Unterluggauer ......................I only have a Penner so far in my tree
NW-european took the major hit from 26% to 3% .............maybe they sorted out the alpine populace

23andme updated the percentages yesterday...mine are above....italian received a major change
Penner, Linter, Segurini, Serrer, Zardo, Tezzele, Koestenberger, Moschitz, Unterluggauer ......................I only have a Penner so far in my tree
NW-european took the major hit from 26% to 3% .............maybe they sorted out the alpine populace

Are the new results part of the beta program or the normal main ancestry?

if everybody get shifted south by 15/20 %, we will see a huge increase of people with “Paisà” ancestry. :)

They said
NW-Europe is from Ireland to Scandinavia to Switzerland and vienna Austria ...............LOL, what a huge area
so i should add the 17% of UK and french/german to the 26% NW-Euro .............43%
Does this mean that 23andme just mixed Celtic and Viking Ancestry? It seems like my Germanic Ancestry has gone down and my Norseman Scandinavian ancestry disappeared.

• British & Irish

55.2%

United Kingdom, Ireland

• French & German

19.9%

Germany

• Spanish & Portuguese

3.5%

• Eastern European

2.8%

• Finnish

0.3%

• Broadly Northwestern European

16.1%

• Broadly Southern European

0.5%

• Broadly European

1.6%
  • Sub-Saharan African

0.1%

• Congolese

0.1%

I just saw my new results (I'll post them later). Apparently 23andMe made a good job in my Ancestry Composition (now I get lots more Italian %, which is right), but they messed up my mother's, who is for sure full Venetian in ancestry (so in theory she should get similar results to ours).

Are the new results part of the beta program or the normal main ancestry?

if everybody get shifted south by 15/20 %, we will see a huge increase of people with “Paisà” ancestry. :)

they are part of the normal
my french/german still stayed 100% german no french ....strange..............i do have 3 sets of cousins who have lived in france since 1910 in Toulouse, Montpelier and coastal France next to catalonia

I just saw my new results (I'll post them later). Apparently 23andMe made a good job in my Ancestry Composition (now I get lots more Italian %, which is right), but they messed up my mother's, who is for sure full Venetian in ancestry (so in theory she should get similar results to ours).
strange
my father went up in italian from 21 to 38 %
my son rose in italian from 27 to 48%
my fathers french/german went from 16 to 25%
my sons french/german went from 15 to 21%
.Both their NW-European took major percentage loses

New results

strange
my father went up in italian from 21 to 38 %
my son rose in italian from 27 to 48%
my fathers french/german went from 16 to 25%
my sons french/german went from 15 to 21%
.Both their NW-European took major percentage loses
Mine (seems decent)
***European 99.7%
- Italian 85.5%
- Spanish & Portuguese 4.1%
- Greek & Balkan 1.5%
- Eastern European 0.4%
- Broadly Southern European 7.0%
- Broadly Northwestern European 0.5%
- Broadly European 0.6%
***Sub-Saharan African 0.1%
- Somali 0.1%
***Unassigned 0.1%

Mother (it didn't get better; at least in the previous version there was some coherence between my results and my parents')
***European 100%
- Italian 36.0%
- French & German 31.9%
- Greek & Balkan 2.3%
- Spanish & Portuguese 2.2%
- British & Irish 1.3%
- Eastern European 1.3%
- Broadly Southern European 15.4%
- Broadly Northwestern European 5.4%
- Broadly European 4.4%

Father (good; Italian % correctly increased and NW European % correctly decreased)
***European 100%
- Italian 51.7%
- French & German 17.7%
- Greek & Balkan 3.4%
- Spanish & Portuguese 1.8%
- Eastern European 1.3%
- Sardinian 0.6%
- British & Irish 0.2%
- Broadly Southern European 11.8%
- Broadly Northwestern European 5.9%
- Broadly European 5.6%

Mine (seems decent)
***European 99.7%
- Italian 85.5%
- Greek & Balkan 1.5%
- Eastern European 0.4%
- Broadly European 0.6%
- Somali 0.1%
***Unassigned 0.1%

Mother (it didn't get better; at least in the previous version there was some coherence between my results and my parents')
***European 100%
- Italian 36.0%
- French & German 31.9%
- Greek & Balkan 2.3%
- British & Irish 1.3%
- Eastern European 1.3%
- Broadly European 4.4%

Father (good; Italian % correctly increased and NW European % correctly decreased)
***European 100%
- Italian 51.7%
- French & German 17.7%
- Greek & Balkan 3.4%
- Eastern European 1.3%
- Sardinian 0.6%
- British & Irish 0.2%
- Broadly European 5.6%

I don't understand how you can score Italian 85.5% while your parents score 36% and 51%.

I don't understand how you can score Italian 85.5% while your parents score 36% and 51%.
Agreed. Trio-phasing doesn't explain such difference. Well, but they "are" my parents, as proved in DNA Relatives tool. lol

My parents gave me
From Father European 48.7%
Italian 19.6%
French & German 11.3%

From Mother European 50.8%
Italian 34.6%
French & German 2.2%

I gave my son this part from me for his admixture
European 48.7%
Italian 19.7%
French & German 8.6%
Spanish & Portuguese 2.5%
Greek & Balkan 0.0%
Eastern European 0.6%
Broadly Southern European 11.8%
Broadly European 4.4%
Broadly Northwestern European 1.1%

Its not just a straight half half from parent to child

Mine (seems decent)
***European 99.7%
- Italian 85.5%
- Greek & Balkan 1.5%
- Eastern European 0.4%
- Broadly European 0.6%
- Somali 0.1%
***Unassigned 0.1%

***European 100%
- Italian 36.0%
- French & German 31.9%
- Greek & Balkan 2.3%
- British & Irish 1.3%
- Eastern European 1.3%
- Broadly European 4.4%

***European 100%
- Italian 51.7%
- French & German 17.7%
- Greek & Balkan 3.4%
- Eastern European 1.3%
- Sardinian 0.6%
- British & Irish 0.2%
- Broadly European 5.6%

give your split from your parents , what % did you get from each?

give your split from your parents , what % did you get from each?
In theory, the differences would be explained by trio-phasing, but your son, for example, is not that different from you and his mother, right?
I think virtually all my parents' Italian % coming to me is unlikely. I assume part of these %s came from their "Broadly something", either Southern, Northern or just European. Notice how mine are low, whereas their "Broadly" are substancially higher.*

It's said 51.3 of my Italian come from mother, and the other 34.2 from father (total of 85.5). All the rest come from father, which means all what come from mother are Italian. To be true, some of her "Broadly something" would have come to me as Italian.
*Indeed, I would have inherited 0% Broadly from mother. All from father.
So, total of 51.3 from mother and 48.6 from father.

Btw, my Ancestry Timeline in 23andMe got a little better.

This thread has been viewed 235441 times.

Back