23andMe Share your 23andMe Ancestry Composition

The second iteration in the recently unlocked "beta" section came with significant updates for me as well.
As i cannot add links to any print screen crops I will just list the updated composition with its subsequent changes:

European 99.9%

I Greek&Balkan 86.1%

I.a Romania - Highly Likely Match:

• Cluj County
  • Sibiu
  • Brașov County
  • Dolj County
  • Mehedinți County
  • Argeș County
  • Ialomița County
  • Bucharest
  • Alba County
  • Mureș County

I.b Greece - Likely Match:

• Peloponnese
  • Ionian Islands

I.c Bulgaria - Possible Match:

• Lovec
  • Veliko Tarnovo Province
  • Burgas
  • Silistra

I.d Croatia - Possible Match:

Šibenik-Knin County

I.e Serbia - Possible Match:

• South Backa District
  • South Banat District
  • Pirot District
  • Bor District
  • Podunavlje District

I.f Bosnia i Hertzegovina - Possible Match:

• Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Republika Srpska

II. Eastern European 3.4%

II.a Poland - Possible Match:

• Lesser Poland Voivodeship
  • Podkarpackie Voivodeship
  • Silesian Voivodeship

II.b Ukraine - Possible Match:
no particular region found

III. Italian 3.3%

III.a Italy - Likely Match:

• Sicily
  • Campania
  • Abruzzo
  • Emilia-Romagna
  • Apulia

French & German 0.3%
"We’re working to identify your more detailed French & German ancestry"

Broadly Southern European 3.3%
Broadly Northwestern European 0.2%
Broadly European 3.3%

Melanesian 0.1%

Broadly Melanesian 0.1%
"We’re working to identify your more detailed Melanesian ancestry"

Additionally I calculated the percentage of relatives from, the total number of inhabitants in each country I have genetic relatives and I've found quite interesting results. From the start I didn't take into account the USA results (225) as they are all European descendants yet impossible to fit them in any European category.

By far, the most stunning result correlated with country's population is the one from Croatia 27 relatives out of 4.15 millions inhabitants 0.000006506% and all of them from a tiny region on the Dalmatian coast, second comes the percentage relative to Romania 110 relatives out of 19.64 millions inhabitants 0.0000056008%, third comes the Slovakian with 22 relatives out of 5.435 millions 0.0000040478, fourth Greece 36 relatives out of 10.77 millions 0.0000033426% and finally BiH 11 results out of 3.507 millions, 0.0000031366.
I just notice a quite strong Croatian connection and adding its neighboring regions of Bosnia and Serbia...it gets even further interesting. In Bosnia and Herzegovina(11 connections) the higher number of relatives comes from the confederation of croats and muslims, neighboring the very Šibenik-Knin County of Croatia(the one giving all my 27 connections from there) as from Serbia(15 connections), the highest number of connections comes from South Backa District, again neighboring a Croatian county of Vukovar Srijem.
And the final idea about that, I share with Poland 40 relatives all spread in 3 southern regions of Poland, a very interesting find being that these 3 actual regions were known in the XI-th century as Chrobatia region inside Poland, an area known as being inhabited by white croatians. From there they seem have migrated into the Balkans and settled on the dalmatian coast.
Perhaps my family name makes more sense in the context? I prefer not to think it is just coincidental... it is ... what/as it is. I am curious to see my French&German connections, perhaps with a future iteration, that section will receive some spots on the map as well.
What i am really curious and a bit baffled is that neither for Hungary nor for Slovakia with whom I share 22 relatives each, there is no point of presence on the Eastern European map.
With Germany I share 26 connections while with Austria 17.

Lol, so the people from Cluj County are near the people from Dolj county the and people from Mehedinti county and even near the people from Bucharest, as genetics?
I think most people from Cluj county would not be so happy, if they will find out these things.
:)

Lol, so the people from Cluj County are near the people from Dolj county the and people from Mehedinti county and even near the people from Bucharest, as genetics?
I think most people from Cluj county would not be so happy, if they will find out these things.
:)

All Romanians are closer to each other than to neighbours generally. But that's not what you have read. Those counties are where his personal matches come from. So the distribution is specific to him. Bucharest, like all other capitals, should bot be taken into consideration, since it has people from all over the country.

Thanks for bringing it up in the front.. ;)
I have zero connections with Albania, zero with Montenegro and zero with FYROM
Moreover, the particular E-V13 clade I am A+ is not at all an albanian, bulgarian or serbian one... but apparently S19928* has on yfull only two italian results one from Bergamo and another one from Cagliari.
As the Yseq test came negative at G for the branch below S19928, the BY4518/BY4507 my final result is S19928*...again not an albanian, serbian or bulgarian clade of CTS 9320.
The romanians start to move in newly built town of Turnu Severin from the ex capital of The Mehedinti county - Cerneti around 1915, till then roughly 80% of the population (according to a census from around 1910) was anything else but Romanian from the villages around.
Unfortunately the town had barriers at its entrances and the jandarms were forcing the peasants coming to sell their products in the market to take of their "opinci and itari" At that very moment my ancestors on my fathers side were already at the third generation, I can share with you a picture from the railway station at the reception of a newly delivered Skoda locomotive. My great grandfather was a driver/ engineer on a steam locomotive around the period of the Balkanic wars.
I can tell you many things about the Romanians who came into the city after they decided to move from Cerneti, yet I'm afraid it is not relevant for the discussion as I am not searching for the history of the town from 1915 onward.
The forced industrialization during commie times is another chapter in town's history I'm afraid.

I don't want to be rude but you having zero connections to the countries you've mentioned in your post is very obvious since you are a Romani,
as you said in your previous posts that all your ancestry is from Romania!
As Romanian however, you are more closely related to the people of the countries you mentioned in your post than the Italians!
If you have tested negative for all known branches under S19928, doesn't mean that you will form a branch with some of the Italians!
To find out if so, you need to do NGS test, BIG Y-500 for example, join the e-m35 dna project and ask the admins when your results are ready, if you form a branch with those Italians or simply send your BAM file to YFULL and you will find out if so!
In fact, in the E-M35 dna project, there is an Albanian with the exact terminal SNP as yours, S19928, TMRCA 2800 ybp!
Also, there are people from Hungary and Slovakia which are neighboring countries of Romania!

You don't want to be rude but you call me romani? Am i romani? How do you know that ? Did you check my passport? Since when I became romani, have I moved somehow from India/Pakistan and I am a matusalem living since hundreds of years ?
Do you have any clue what you're talking about or you just glued ideas from here and there?
Where exactly I stated all my ancestry is from Romania and when exactly an ancestry starts from? Hello are you delusional drunk or high? My ancestry starts wherever and whenever I want to put a marker, 7000 years ago if i consider my paternal line and E-V13 as a satisfactory answer given by 23andme. 2800 years ago if the answer given by yseq quenches my thirst for knowledge. What does ancestry translate in your book? The only relatives in your album with pictures? You don't have the decency to state your real location nor any known affiliation to any haplogroup yet you have the nerve to come and teach me lessons. Do you think your mockery and cheap pseudo knowledge scores high?
How do you know I have zero connections with stated countries have you checked my yet unpost print screens? Are you a seer? A clairvoyant perhaps? A magician by any chance?
I mean... HOW DARE YOU?
I don't need neither your advices nor your suggestions, as for other members reading now I kindly inform you if it is relevant and to your concern, that I am already a member of the double helix/haplozone and in contact with Steve an S19928 well known contributor to the L618-V13 understanding.
But to you uninvited guest I'm afraid it is not your business to know at all about that matey just because... you don't want to be rude ;)

S19928
is just now having its new subbranches proposed:
BY104590 (B38) 13749830 T>G
BY110859 (B38) 14778447 G>A
BY202815 (B38) 8696067 G>A
apart of the BY4518 the one I already know I am negative of.
BY20073 the current separate listed by ftDNA subbranch might prove to be the fifth it is not a definitive subbranch as not recognized as so by yfull ;)

To summarize, S19928* is simply my official final result YSEQ gave me and in my previous post I mentioned Yfull tree, you mention a collection of ftDNA results mixed together and perhaps a ftDNA tree which is solely based on their BigY test. Is it the fundamental truth, the sole and the one and only? Indeed they choose to put the two Italian samples in BY20073 separate branch, if that could be called a branch...or is it maybe a custom family test ?
Do you know how many S19928 samples have been discovered so far worldwide? 19 !
"As for the currently identified S19928s I know of nineteen. Ten have done NGS testing and I am one of them. From the ten that have tested I can say at present that there will be at least five sub branches.
Hope this is helpful.
Regards
Steve"
So deeply sorry mate for fitting aside the two Italian samples, that is what Yfull is saying E-Z25461* <=>E-S19928* and inside there only two results:

• id:YF10128ITA [IT-BG]
  • person.png
    id:ERS255996ITA [IT-CA]
In the V13 tree maintained by the same double helix E-L618 phylogeny enthusiast (Steve Fix) the BY20073 doesn't exist as well. Do you think this super guru of E-V13 doesn't know about the ftDNA tree, why they both (y full and double helix) chose to ignore the results as being in a separate branch yet there are 3 new proposed new branches? Mate I exchange e mails on the subject with him on daily basis.
And what's the "TMRCA" of these two particular samples, by any chance 2800 ybp, same as S19928? The only proved to be distinct sub branch is BY4518 having TMRCA 2000 ybp, a proper, younger sub branch ! Do you have strong reasons to believe these 2 samples belong in a separate branch? If in your opinion only the ftDNA opinion is relevant, are they the only ones doing phylogeny or they are somehow merely a company providing the tools and letting some others to give/understand the answers ...;)
Even had I known all my paternal ancestry all the way from 2000 years ago till now,still there would be an 800 years gap to that precise moment of split. Why are you mixing so conveniently what a company like 23andme is offering and whose approach and updated tools for finding connections we were trying to understand here, with what I was looking from exactly the opposite end of the unknown gap? Current ancestry I share with certain regions from certain countries according to 23andme might have no connection whatsoever with the phylogeny of S19928 and its subsequent branches who knows how many they'll prove to be and however distant one form another they are.
Do tell me please you mistake a romanian with a romani and all was just a typo. Frankly, I tend to disbelief utterly such a "naive" mistake and i do take it as a mockery combined with patronizing attitude.
However, you don't seem to know much about S19928 yet here you are eager to give me unasked advices and ready to educate me. How about: bugger off?
As you mentioned the slovakian sample, it comes together with the austrian and the irish sample and they do indeed form a different subbranch the BY 4507/4518. And by the way, so unfortunately... no hungarian result I'm afraid, perhaps the italian flag is just twitching itself on your screen.
So ftDNA is showing an albanian sample, also a turkish a romanian a bulgarian, a fyrom, two german, and a french...perhaps too widely spread for a branch or still an Easter egg the S19928 with its all around Europe presence more like CTS9320 itself... But what do i know...innit?

Would you please do me the courtesy not to quote any of my posts again, and furthermore not to give me any unasked advice:) cheerz in advance for that. We were discussing here humble 23andme speculations and findings, a tea break chat room if the description pleases you, all based on their new iteration on refining test results. Most definitely not NGS or my YSEQ SNP's research. Whence and whether such a wanton thought of an NGS might eventually cross my mind, to do test in such direction, perhaps never to come true.
bye !

Last edited:
I don't want to be rude but you having zero connections to the countries you've mentioned in your post is very obvious since you are a Romani,
as you said in your previous posts that all your ancestry is from Romania!
As Romanian however, you are more closely related to the people of the countries you mentioned in your post than the Italians!
If you have tested negative for all known branches under S19928, doesn't mean that you will form a branch with some of the Italians!
To find out if so, you need to do NGS test, BIG Y-500 for example, join the e-m35 dna project and ask the admins when your results are ready, if you form a branch with those Italians or simply send your BAM file to YFULL and you will find out if so!
In fact, in the E-M35 dna project, there is an Albanian with the exact terminal SNP as yours, S19928, TMRCA 2800 ybp!
Also, there are people from Hungary and Slovakia which are neighboring countries of Romania!

I'm pretty sure that Macedonians are more Gypsy admixed than Romanians.

Well, here's Wallachia: https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/63794
"We analyzed 1910 unrelated individuals from 14 of 15counties in Wallachia region as follows: 259 samples fromArgeş, 148 from Brăila, 10 from Buzău, 11 from Călăraşi, 215from Dâmboviţa, 288 from Dolj, 114 from Giurgiu, 154 fromGorj, 117 from Ialomiţa, 113 from Ilfov, 122 from Mehedinţi,20 from Olt, 331 from Prahova, and 8 from Teleorman. Theregion of the Romanian capital city, Bucharest, was excluded from the study.
Results With the exception of vWA locus (P=0.001), noother significant deviations from Hardy-Weinberg expectations were found. Single locus comparisons with dataon geographically close populations showed significantdifferences between the population of Wallachia and thepopulation of Bucharest area, Greece, Turkey, Italy, Hungary, Belarus, and Poland, but no differences were found fromthe population from Croatia and Serbia.Conclusion According to 15 analyzed STR loci, the population of Wallachia region was found to be genetically moresimilar to Slavic populations of Croatia and Serbia than toother surrounding populations."

After Serbia and Croatia, the third related country is Greece(at only one locus),which automatically leads also to a connection with Albania,that is not included in the study,because it is located between ;and the common background for these three countries is the Paleo-Balkanic populations, not the Slavs.

Perhaps, the Romanian study has tried to prove a dull Vlach migration, from the Adriatic, inside the Kingdom of Hungary,with no statality,leaving the Asen's state to Aromanians and Bulgarians, as it was the tradition,we all know that you used to post this scenario extremely often, because you have probably read it in an Hungarian book.

European : 98.1%
Italian 66.1%
French and German: 3.8%
British and Irish : 2.6%
Iberian : 1.5%
Balkan : 1%
Broadly Southern Euro : 12.7%
Broadly Northwestern Euro : 7.3%
Broadly Euro : 3.1%
Western Asia and North African : 1.5%

European : 98.1%
Italian 66.1%
French and German: 3.8%
British and Irish : 2.6%
Iberian : 1.5%
Balkan : 1%
Broadly Southern Euro : 12.7%
Broadly Northwestern Euro : 7.3%
Broadly Euro : 3.1%
Western Asia and North African : 1.5%

Well, that's certainly an unexpected result. Are all your grandparents French? From what areas in France do they come?

Hi Angela,
My mother's family is mostly from NE France (Champagne), my father's family's from Campania, Italy.
My genealogy goes like this:
50% Campania (paternal side)
37.5% Champagne (maternal side)
12.5% Haute-Savoie (maternal side)

Only the Italian DNA was detected (highly likely match, regional breakdown: Campania on top). They couldn't identify the French part (it's only identified as 'French & German').

ADDED: sorry, hadn't read the opening post: "Please only share your results if all your ancestors come from the same country!"
Ignore my results then :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think I've already solved it. I have many problems to upload images.

@Carlos we can’t see your results.
Don’t Depart yet ! :)

—-EDIT—-
now we can; Surprise, surprise, you’re a Spaniard, SPANIARD! lol

The results at the TOP are a list of what you are made of and by how much.
How to make a Carlos: lol
Ingredients - 40.8% of North Atlantic DNA, 29.04 of West Mediterranean DNA, ...

The BOTTOM shows how similar you are to the populations in the list.

Generally the Spreadsheets list what criteria they used to assign each “INGREDIENT” to each Ancestry
(How to make a Spaniard, or how to make a French, ...)
(How to make a Spaniard of Cantabria, or how to make a Spaniard from Andalusia).

We are a Mosaic of our Ancestors!

Same reasoning applies to the Ancient population results.
They try to find out how much DNA you still retain and have in common with Ancient Civilizations, or ancient individuals from a specific geographic area.

Last edited:
^^
Merci beaucoup. I'll put it on favorite. But I see that in other countries countries are even needed, how can you find out with my results. Since saying Nord west or sudest includes many current countries.

Borders, historically are Dynamic.
Nothing is perfect, but if you like to get a Visual Idea to how you relate to population of other Countries:
Go to Gedmatch > Eurogenes > K36
copy your results, and go to:
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/similitude.htm

input all your numbers, click Valider and you’ll get:

Taux de similitude avec différentes populations

oGx4Q0R.jpg

Also Africa, Australia, and the Americas.

^^^

In the last list that I have put K11 the smaller values indicate to be nearer or are the greater values those that indicate to be closer?

This thread has been viewed 237220 times.

Back