Share your updated MyOrigins results

yeah boreas, you or your brother's totally absent west europe 20% seems a little off!

His WestEuropean results 21% and Sephardic results 10% makes nearly 1 in 3, in all his genetic, which I don't have any.

Who the hell is he !!! :LOL:

Before he had 2-3%percent North African, but I don't. Now I am North African, he is not :confused:

European 100%

East Europe 52%
British Isles 34%
Southeast Europe 8%
Scandinavia 6%

[FONT=&quot]From what I have been reading on blogs, I will be ignoring this update. I say this because many people who have Scandinavian parents and grandparents have now got ZERO % Scandinavian and really exaggerated British Isles :([/FONT]

yeah, it also seems to be thrown by the fact that they still don't have a proper balkan category, which i think may explain some of the more ...?! admixtures

My previous FTDNA origins makeup was:

96% European
54% British Isles
23% Scandinavian
19% Western and Central Europe

2% East Central Africa
2% Eastern Middle East

My new results are:
97% European
55% British Isles
28% Western and Central Europe
8% East Europe
6% Scandinavia

<2% West Africa
<2% North and Central America
<2% South Central Asia

My European percentage (97%) is the same at FTDNA and Ancestry but the breakdowns are slightly different. 23andMe shows me at 98.3% European and 1.7% Sub-Saharan African (West African). FTDNA is the first of the Big Three to show me with any Native American DNA, although DNA.Land does, and at the same percentage. DNA.Land has me at 96% West Eurasian. As a Colonial Stock American, the percentages on any of the results seems reasonable, except for that South Central Asia part...unless that possibly indicates a Romani ancestor somewhere in Europe.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]From what I have been reading on blogs, I will be ignoring this update. I say this because many people who have Scandinavian parents and grandparents have now got ZERO % Scandinavian and really exaggerated British Isles :([/FONT]
I think it varies per person because I have a friend with no known Scandinavian ancestors and his old results were 76% british isles, 0% Scandinavian and his new updated results are 51% British Isles and 25% Scandinavian.

You guys got to remember there's overlap between countries. The British Isles, Scandinavia, and Germany/Western Europe, for example, could easily share overlap due to history. Vikings to the UK, Brits [well Scots] were in the Scandinavian areas. Some areas of British Isles, for example, are going to appear different due to that.

Personally, I find it reasonable to my known ancestry [I happen to have (far) more Central and South Central Asia than a typical Brit would, as indicated in my response to LeBrok's HarappaWorld] but then again some of the FTDNA ideas are just a little odd to put it nicely.

Last edited:
My results are very short: 100% Iberian.
I lost my previous 20% British Isles, to become fully Iberian.

My results are very short: 100% Iberian.
I lost my previous 20% British Isles, to become fully Iberian.
Have you taken any other DNA tests?

My previous FTDNA origins makeup was:

96% European
54% British Isles
23% Scandinavian
19% Western and Central Europe

2% East Central Africa
2% Eastern Middle East

My new results are:
97% European
55% British Isles
28% Western and Central Europe
8% East Europe
6% Scandinavia

<2% West Africa
<2% North and Central America
<2% South Central Asia

My European percentage (97%) is the same at FTDNA and Ancestry but the breakdowns are slightly different. 23andMe shows me at 98.3% European and 1.7% Sub-Saharan African (West African). FTDNA is the first of the Big Three to show me with any Native American DNA, although DNA.Land does, and at the same percentage. DNA.Land has me at 96% West Eurasian. As a Colonial Stock American, the percentages on any of the results seems reasonable, except for that South Central Asia part...unless that possibly indicates a Romani ancestor somewhere in Europe.

That's another interesting case. This shows how randomly the admixture are assigned in MyOrigins. If it had the slighest reliability, how could the old version not spot 2% Native American ancestry reported in the new version? Fine-scale ancestry between close European populations isn't always easy, but Native American admixture is so distinct from European one that it should stick out like a sore thumb.

Another sign of unreliability is that your 2% East Central African became 2% of West African. That may not seem like a big deal for Westerners, but it is in terms of genetic accuracy, considering that there is more genetic diversity in Africa than in the rest of the world, and East Central African are as remote to West Africans as an Irishman would be to a Chinese.

Your 2% of South Central Asia probably correspond to the 2% of East Middle Eastern and would presumably correspond to ancestry around modern Iran. Unless you have Balkanic or Italian ancestry, it's probably not representative of any actual ancestry in the last 2000 years.

My previous results 100% East-Euro.

My updated results 97% East-Euro, 3% SE-Euro.

That's another interesting case. This shows how randomly the admixture are assigned in MyOrigins. If it had the slighest reliability, how could the old version not spot 2% Native American ancestry reported in the new version? Fine-scale ancestry between close European populations isn't always easy, but Native American admixture is so distinct from European one that it should stick out like a sore thumb. ...

Interesting point.
I had once 18% Asia Minor, now guess what I have ... zero! I find it most amusing to read in the FTDNA forum how many people, despite the heavy and justified criticism, still find their results useful or reliable.

European99%
East Europe78% Southeast Europe11% British Isles10%

Trace Results
Oceania< 1%

European99.6%

Eastern European68.6%

Southern European18.6%

Balkan15.2%

Broadly Southern European3.4%

Northwestern European5.1%

French & German0.9%

British & Irish0.5%

Finnish0.1%

Broadly Northwestern European3.5%

Broadly European7.3%

Middle Eastern & North African0.3%

North African0.3%

East Asian & Native American< 0.1%

East Asian< 0.1%

Broadly East Asian< 0.1%

Broadly East Asian & Native American< 0.1%

Sub-Saharan African< 0.1%

Central & South African< 0.1%

Unassigned< 0.1%

It gave me 12% Sephardic but I don't have any Jewish ancestry as far as I know.

53% East Middle East
31% West Middle East
12% Sephardic
other trace stuff

My maternal haplogroup has many Sephardic matches, maybe that's why.

Last edited:
It gave me 12% Sephardic but I don't have any Jewish ancestry as far as I know.
This is why I'm not wasting money on these tests. Accuracy is out the window.

Middle Eastern 0%
Asia Minor < 2%
East Middle East 0%
North Africa 0%
West Middle East < 2%

European 96%
British Isles 27%
East Europe 0%
Finland 0%
Scandinavia 0%

Southeast Europe < 2%
Iberia 0%
West and Central Europe 69%
Jewish Diaspora 0%
Ashkenazi 0%
Sephardic 0%

The interesting thing, my paper trail and matches all go back to Finland and Scandinavia

Since the Update both me and my GrandPa are 100% Balkan( South Eastern Europe), I guess we were among the one's taken as a reference population :)

This thread has been viewed 43309 times.

Back