Living DNA discount for people of German ancestry

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Living DNA announced in their blog that they have just launched a DNA research project aiming to map Germany’s genetic history. They are going to be working with Germany’s largest genealogy society, Verein für Computergenealogie e.V. (CompGen). Together they are looking for individuals with four grandparents who were all born within 80 kilometres of each other. This includes people from modern Germany as well as historical regions of Germany like Silesia, Posen, Pomerania and East & West Prussia. Eligible participants will be able to purchase their DNA test for 89€ instead of the regular 159€. More details about the project and how to join can be found here.

Living DNA has used data from Oxford University's Peoples of the British Isles Project to map the genetic variations between 20 regions of Britain. They started a similar projected for Ireland in October, looking into 13 distinct subppopulations. The new data should be rolled out for customers by the end of this month.

Maciamo said:
Together they are looking for individuals with four grandparents who were all born within 80 kilometres of each other. This includes people from modern Germany as well as historical regions of Germany like Silesia, Posen, Pomerania and East & West Prussia.

I have just applied to participate in this Project.

I told them, that I have already tested my DNA and they asked me to transfer my FTDNA raw data. I asked them if people who have already tested and agree to send them their raw data are going to be tested free of charge, or for a significantly cheaper price than people without a prior DNA test. Because if the price is going to stay the same, then I prefer them to test me "from scratch" instead of transferring my FTDNA raw data. Here is how they responded:

If you have not tested your DNA, you will get a discount if you meet the requirements. However, if you have a kit from 23andMe, FTDNA or AncestryDNA, then autosomal transfer is for free (that's what they told me).

In order to take part, all of your recent ancestors need to have been born within a 80 km radius.

All of my great-grandparents were born within a 80 km radius in pre-1914 Germany, so I qualify.

I got the following message from them:

Thank you very much for your email.

It does indeed look that you may qualify. In order to take part we would require you to fill in our online survey to collect and validate information with regards to the birthplaces of your 4 grandparents. They all need to have been born within a 80km radius in contemporary Germany or from an area that was part of a German state in the past (Pomerania, Western Prussia, Eastern Prussia, Posen and Silesia).

https://dnaworldwide.typeform.com/to/N4vvK1

If you think you meet the criteria, please take our survey and upload your "Build 37" autosomal DNA results to put yourself forward and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Once you have completed the survey we will check your information and if you qualify you will be able to get a Living DNA account for free (within approximately 10 weeks) for your atDNA.

For reference, my ancestors were from Provinz Posen:

oonMdGF.png

Ok, so I am now officially part of this Project.

Apparently I'm among the first 100 participants:

"(...) You are one of the first 100 people whose ancestors were all born in contemporary Germany or the former Eastern provinces. (...) We hope you are pleased with this outcome and we will let you know more about what happens next within the next 2 weeks. Thank you also for helping spread the word about the project. We hope you will enjoy the results once they come in. (...)"

I have contacted some more people who will join their Project:

1) One person with all ancestors hailing from the borderlands between Kreis Preußisch Stargard, Kreis Tuchel, Kreis Konitz and Kreis Schwetz (all these located in West Prussia) back to at least year 1773 AD.

2) One person with all ancestors from Kreis Jarotschin back to at least 1800 AD.

=========

Edit:

It is free if you transfer your raw data from another company:

https://www.livingdna.com/en/german...filiate&utm_campaign=CJ_Affiliate&PID=7135878

- Transfer your DNA from another provider Free of Charge (23andME, Ancestry, FTDNA and others)
- Take a Living DNA test at a special project price of 89 € (RRP 159 €)

Last edited:
Hey Maciamo, just curious. My 2nd Great Grandma is from Steinfurt, Rhine-Westphalia and it looks like Rhine-Westphalia is divided into 3 ancestrial conponents; West, East and North Westphalia. Do you know how Westphalia got divided by 3? It looks like I'm going to be placed at North Westphalia.

This thread has been viewed 7311 times.

Back