"African genes are dominant"

Blanco

Banned
Reaction score
Ethnic group
South European + some Central European
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b M269
If that's the case then most African Americans would look straight African, but in most cases the 15-25% European admixture makes them overall quite district when it comes to looks.
On the other hand North African Berbers have 20-30% Sub Saharan African admixture, yet a good portion of them seem to look pure Mediterranean type.

All of these people look visibly European-Non African

iynSemf.png

WeCzMZS.png

LQDq1og.png

Now imagine these people in a crowd of Nigerians

_73784316_55e20f7c-a1fd-4b46-ab9b-15fa127ec554.jpg

On the other hand 20% African don't really seem visible.

PkPr3U6.png

You can't be serious! The first two girls look at least like quadroons, if not mulattos. No, they don't look like Nigerians, but you can see they're not "white" or "European" from a block away. The third woman looks SSA, period. Not all SSA people are coal black.

When an African American is mulatto, like President Obama, for example, there's no way they're able to "pass". Quadroons or 25% SSA could sometimes pass. It was the luck of the draw. That's why some of Thomas Jefferson's children by his slave Sally Hemings ran away and were able to melt into the larger population, and some could not.

This is a bad quality picture, but perhaps five of these "quadroon" (some could be octoroon) Creole women at the last "Quadroon Ball" could have passed. I don't think the rest could.Click on it to see if it enlarges.
598e0e0fb20bdc48483cb06c05fbdee9.jpg

Some could pass, like these poor children. I would guess they're probably either quadroons or octoroons.

3Mz91K9.jpg

Alexander Pushkin...I think he would have been about 1/8 black. People might have guessed some SSA but maybe not.
pushkin-e1408741767344.jpg

You'd have to be blind not to see it in Alexandre Dumas, who was about 1/4 black.
image.jpg

That said, by the time it gets to one great-grandparent or 13% it can be invisible. Some North Africans are 5, 10, 15% SSA so of course they won't show. It's just proportions as to when minority ancestry will disappear.

You can't be serious! The first two girls look at least like quadroons, if not mulattos. No, they don't look like Nigerians, but you can see they're not "white" or "European" from a block away. The third woman looks SSA, period. Not all SSA people are coal black.

The first three women are African Americans without any recent European ancestry, from top to down ( 81%/83%/91% Sub Saharan African) I said their appearance don't approach the standard West African look but lean towards mixed looking, hence i said "visibly European admixed". No way those two girls are "quadroons".
The last girl on the other hand is technically 1/5 African 4/5 European but She still identifies as African American which is quite strange if we take consider the other way around if a Black American person with 20% European admixture would consider himself as Irish or British.

when 2 different races, like black and white make children, you can't tell what will come out
the only thing you can tell, if they make lots of children, probably diversity among them will be high

when 2 different races, like black and white make children, you can't tell what will come out
the only thing you can tell, if they make lots of children, probably diversity among them will be high

Exactly right, but at the first generation of mixing those children, even if they vary, are not going to look 100% like either parent. You'll see the admixture. They're not in the vast majority of cases going to look totally "European" and they're not going to look totally "African". Which one they resemble the most is just down to chance. That's why I don't see the point of the thread.

I do think that when the admixture is between two Out-Of-Africa populations the "minority" admixture might disappear earlier because the differences are less extreme.

9fa70764b2a99f9bc4eaebc0d95fb4f9.jpg

cbe152082435948f3574050d9708b679.png

Mayor Bill DeBlasio, his wife, and his two children:
o-DE-BLASIO-DANTE-CHIARA-CHIRLANE-facebook.jpg

The first three women are African Americans without any recent European ancestry, from top to down ( 81%/83%/91% Sub Saharan African) I said their appearance don't approach the standard West African look but lean towards mixed looking, hence i said "visibly European admixed". No way those two girls are "quadroons".
The last girl on the other hand is technically 1/5 African 4/5 European but She still identifies as African American which is quite strange if we take consider the other way around if a Black American person with 20% European admixture would consider himself as Irish or British.

the number of genes implied in body look (here even lesser: face and hair look only) are very very lesser numerous than the total auDNA, so they can vary more quickly; so your allover proportions fo admixture is not by force reflected in your head aspect - so we have to make a statistic based upon big samples for diverse %'s of admixtures - and as said Angela, all the SSA people are not exactly the same ones concerning skin coour and facial traits - I add that what we call SSA are not always pure SSA pops (I think in Mali, Niger, Soudan, Tchad people by instance among others) - the proof of what I say is found among so called Afroamericans families where sometimes brothers and sisters of same couple had very different traits and colour spite their total auDNA is surely very close one to another.

If that's the case then most African Americans would look straight African, but in most cases the 15-25% European admixture makes them overall quite district when it comes to looks.
On the other hand North African Berbers have 20-30% Sub Saharan African admixture, yet a good portion of them seem to look pure Mediterranean type.

All old calculators in Gedmatch who give Berbers 25% SSA are wrong. New data for Ancient egyptians show they were lest than 2% SSA (eurogenes some recent post).
North African Arabs could be mixed but Berbrs are more isloated.

All old calculators in Gedmatch who give Berbers 25% SSA are wrong. New data for Ancient egyptians show they were lest than 2% SSA (eurogenes some recent post).
North African Arabs could be mixed but Berbrs are more isloated.

Thousands of years separate ancient Egyptians from modern North Africans, so the racial make-up of the former isn't probative of anything. A large portion of the SSA present there now is a product of the Arab slave trade or of Nilotic movements. Using your slaves for sexual purposes has an effect population wide.

Recent academic papers show that SSA can run from a few percent (some coastal areas) to 20%, to close to 30% in places like Southern Morocco.Some Berbers do have less but not all.

See below:
Henn et al
Genomic Ancestry of North Africans Supports Back-to-Africa Migrations
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257290/

Dobon et al:
"The genetics of East African populations"
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep09996

african genes are more dominant. my friends are half african half european and they are dark as hell. you can see a mixed kid be totally black but very rarely white (if thats possible)

african genes are more dominant. my friends are half african half european and they are dark as hell. you can see a mixed kid be totally black but very rarely white (if thats possible)

And the reason for that is very, very simple. 'African' curly hair, dark eyes and dark hair are all dominant traits. Even if the mixed child is somehow very pale, which rarely happens as skintone mostly mixes and turns out as coffee with milk instead of coffee or milk, they'll automatically look more like their African parent with their black frizzy hair and dark brown eyes than their European parent with blonde, straight hair and blue eyes.

Post cherry-picked photos of one group and compare with crowd photos of another group. FACEPALM. Why didn't you post crowd photos (or videos) with African-Americans? All of them are around 20% European.

Yes, African genes are dominant. If all white people were to marry a black person, this would change the phenotype of the whites to an irreversible manner. Am I right on this?

It's not just African genes that are dominant. Dark hair in general is dominant over light hair, brown eyes over blue eyes etc.

That doesn't mean those recessive genes disappear. A blonde, blue-eyed child can be born of two parents who are dark haired and brown eyed so long as each parent carries the recessive genes.

Yes, with low probability though. Should have recalled my Biology classes. It's been some time since I was a high-schooler though.

It's not just African genes that are dominant. Dark hair in general is dominant over light hair, brown eyes over blue eyes etc.

That doesn't mean those recessive genes disappear. A blonde, blue-eyed child can be born of two parents who are dark haired and brown eyed so long as each parent carries the recessive genes.

Yes, with low probability though. Should have recalled my Biology classes. It's been some time since I was a high-schooler though.

Ah yes, Punnett squares! :)

With a highly heterogeneous population it's not at all that uncommon for brown eyed parents to have blue eyed children. Italians, for example, have a lot of blue-eyed or light eyed people and even more carry the gene. The opposite, blue-eyed parents having a brown eyed child is the rare one.

It's all explained here:
http://genetics.thetech.org/how-blue-eyed-parents-can-have-brown-eyed-children

Just a correction to something posted above. Not all African-Americans are 20% European in ancestry. That is an average: there are people who identify as African American who are much more than 20% European, like Halle Berry, or, for example, music moghul Quincy Jones, and some who have little to none, like Oprah Winfrey.

Oprah Winfrey in high school:
oprah-winfrey-yearbook-high-school-young-1971-photo-GC2.jpg

Halle Berry is at least 50% white...her mother is white. I don't know if there's any European ancestry in her father.
MV5BMjIxNzc5MDAzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDUxMjMxMw@@._V1_UY317_CR10,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Quincy Jones tested and is 66% African, and 34% European. His daughter is therefore 33% African.

FB-Quincy-5-Gallery-Template1.jpg

Anatole Broyard was probably quadroon, although he insisted until he was on his deathbed that he was white, despite persistent rumors to the contrary.
9780316008068_1681X2544.jpg

The great Carol Channing was probably octoroon, or 1/8 SSA. The paper documentation shows her as 1/4 SSA.
Carol-Channing.jpg

Do read Angela; her remarks are my ones as a whole - except pigmentatin and hair form (dominating in first generation), the most of other shapes and skin colour are balanced in first generation crossings, when SSA is true (not always the case among the "blacks" of Africa -
but evidently, everyone is tempted to exagerate or focalize upon the foreign features among crossings results -
OK also for the remarks about cherry-picking

AncestryDNA Estimate includes only recent ancestry going back no more than 500 years.
That's why they even have a European Jewish component which is 12 percent for me.
Those African Americans that you posted do have recent European ancestry.

According to Ancestry, I am 53 percent SubSaharan African, 46 percent European, 1 percent Amerindian.
AncestryDNA does include X Chromosome, and mine is predominantly European with some SubSaharan African and Amerindian.

According to 23andme that includes X Chromosome, I am 49.7 SubSaharan African, 47.5% European, 2.0% East Asian&Indigenous American, 0.6% Western Asian&North African, 0.2% Unassigned,

I don't identify as Black nor African.

I identify as multiracial because I don't believe in the one drop rule which is outdated, racist, and stupid.
Recently, I am believing the same way about the black and white races which are social constructs without any scientific basis.

I have tan skin that turn dark tan when exposed to much sunlight.......I can get even darker to a medium brown
I have golden overtone

Black and Wjite are not only social constructs as you say, they are unprecise qualification of real genetic differences (not levenly distributed in individuals) of light weight when we consider allover genetic makeup.
That said I agree yhe "one drop rule" is stupid and bad; "outdated" has no value for me...
All supposed 'black' African are not of pure SSA heritage - and after the first generation of crossing, the distribution of genetic elements is balanced as a whole, but some phenotypic traits (and others rare genetic imputs) can be inherited in a very unbalanced way even in a 50/50 crossed pop. Small numbers "law"!
So with a 75/25 or 87,5/12,5 score, it's very easy to find the example we need to prove anything! the famous "cherry picking".

Concerning "dominance", this term is overused;
some SSA traits are dominant, other not. No global genetic dominance.

AncestryDNA Estimate includes only recent ancestry going back no more than 500 years.
That's why they even have a European Jewish component which is 12 percent for me.
Those African Americans that you posted do have recent European ancestry.

According to Ancestry, I am 53 percent SubSaharan African, 46 percent European, 1 percent Amerindian.
AncestryDNA does include X Chromosome, and mine is predominantly European with some SubSaharan African and Amerindian.

According to 23andme that includes X Chromosome, I am 49.7 SubSaharan African, 47.5% European, 2.0% East Asian&Indigenous American, 0.6% Western Asian&North African, 0.2% Unassigned,

I don't identify as Black nor African.

I identify as multiracial because I don't believe in the one drop rule which is outdated, racist, and stupid.
Recently, I am believing the same way about the black and white races which are social constructs without any scientific basis.

I have tan skin that turn dark tan when exposed to much sunlight.......I can get even darker to a medium brown
I have golden overtone

I made a few mistakes
here is correction:

AncestryDNA does not include X Chromosome

I don't identify as black nor African American

This thread has been viewed 30485 times.

Back