European Jewish ancestry

I think it's best to only rely on the academic analyses, which postulate anywhere from 40-60% admixture from "European" sources. The complications arise because of the overlap between "Europeans" and some Near Easterners dating all the way back to the Neolithic.

Davef linked to one good discussion here. There are others. Just use the search engine.

As for the source of the admixture, no one really knows except that Eastern Europeans had a very small impact on the total Ashkenazi genome, somewhere quite a bit less than 10% (proved by IBD analysis).

We don't even really know whether the bulk of the admixture took place in the Near East itself or in Europe.

Another thing that we do know, despite all the hypothesis that the Ashkenazim formed as a result of mostly male Jews admixing with Italian women from somewhere in central/north Italy in the early Medieval period, there is no significant IBD sharing with the so far tested Italian reference populations.
I have read that most modern Jews descend from only 3 or 4 mothers. And about 300 people.

Want to know something even more interesting? I have heard from a Jewish friend of mine; that Jewish culture is Matriarchal and that it is the women who decide who is Jewish or not. For instance, if your dad is not a Jew; but your mother is, you are automatically Jewish. (at least, culturally). But if your mother is not Jewish but your dad is a Jew, you are not considered a Jew. (Unless a Jewish woman - not a man - decides to qualify you for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Not sure if it is true. But I found this information quite interesting.

That is interesting that you discovered you have Jewish heritage. I have a good friend who lives in Boston who recently discovered he was Jewish. He had no idea and originally thought he was Italian from Tuscany. He even has an Italian name Giovanni. (his last name is removed, out of respect for him. But is also Italian. Interesting, right?)

I've met a lot of Jewish people. Many of them have stayed good friends.

Yes, well, if he based that on nonsense heard on the internet or something bogus like Eurogenes J Test, it's absolutely not reliable.

Yes, well, if he based that on nonsense heard on the internet or something bogus like Eurogenes J Test, it's absolutely not reliable.
He is Jewish. He was raised growing up to believe he was ethnic Italian. He also claimed Greek and English ancestry. (according to him) He was brought up believing he was Italian. It was only two years ago he discovered he was actually a Jew. He is almost 37 years old. But he passes himself off as Italian and even carries Italian flags.

He never had a Bar Mitzvah and must be non-practicing. But yes he is a Jew. He told me he did some digging and researched his origins; and found out that he was Jewish from Italy.

He is a hilarious man. Especially his Boston accent. He does not practice Judaism. He claims he is an Agnostic. I'll try to get a good picture of him. He is currently trying to move out of Florida for Irma. He lives in Florida now; these days. Looks like the traffic is terrible there. He posts videos on YouTube.

Interestingly, Sicily did have a relatively large Jewish population for at least 1,500 years (in the order of 5% to 8%). Many were expelled in 1493 when the Spanish Crown expelled Jews from their territories. An unknown number would have stayed on the condition that they converted to Christianity.
According to Shlomo Simonsohn the Jews in Sicily before the expulsion were 25.000. They were from 3 to 5% according to Italian researchers like Calimani. Most of the studies have calculated around 9000 "marranos" who remained as converted.

Jewish people in Europe before the nazi persecutions.

That is interesting that you discovered you have Jewish heritage. I have a good friend who lives in Boston who recently discovered he was Jewish. He had no idea and originally thought he was Italian from Tuscany. He even has an Italian name Giovanni. (his last name is removed, out of respect for him. But is also Italian. Interesting, right?)

I've met a lot of Jewish people. Many of them have stayed good friends.

I'm Italian (Puglesi), and the test I took said I'm 0% Jewish. Furthermore, the average Tuscan doesn't have any Jewish ancestry. Which is why I find your friend's results to be rather dubious. In addition to that, the NG test may actually (probably) inflate Jewish ancestry; at least according to some averages.

What was the test your friend took?

Last edited:
He claims his haplogroup is E1b1b. I am thinking it is one of the Jewish clades. He never told me specifically.

And he claims that he has evidence one of his grandmothers was Jewish. (or claimed she was)

It is unknown to me. Maybe he is fully Jewish. Or maybe half Jewish or 25% Jewish. etc. (but you can tell - by the way he looks - he does look pretty Jewish looking.)

He does have a very Jewish look to him though. He was always confused about his ancestry; and even doubted that he was a Jew. He told me that he also has some English and Greek ancestry. (but, I don't know if that's Jews from England or Greece.) He also claimed that he thinks he may be "Black Irish" but appears Jewish.

He has extremely Semitic features. Kind of like a Jewish or Lebanese kind of look.

I do believe that he is Jewish, also. But is unobservant and non-practice. (for instance; a forgotten heritage of his.) He was raised growing up, thinking that he was Italian. He tells me he comes from Tuscany or Veneto or somewhere. (originally) I haven't looked at a map of Italy, so I don't know if that would be accurate. He claims that his Italian family came from Tuscany or Veneto. (Venetian?) or both regions. And he has always heard rumors of having Jewish ancestry. But he was raised believing he was Italian.

"[FONT=&quot]My name is Gio, I am here for my own entertainment and communicating, spreading whatever words of wisdom I need to."
[/FONT]

Google "Giovanni Rain" and you will find his Twitter. He posts hilarious videos. (You will notice he has an Italian flag as background.) His surname isn't Rain, by the way. It's a fake surname. I will keep his real surname private, out of respect for him. (But it is Italian.)[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

What was the test your friend took?
He took AncestryDNA. He has always been interested in his ancestry. As I claimed before; he was raised believing that he was Italian. But he told me that he had only been in the USA since the early 20th century. (before the World Wars). He claims his family was either from Tuscany or Veneto. (or both). His family moved from Italy to Boston in the early 1900s. According to him. He currently lives in Florida (location unknown) and is moving out of there as I type this right now; to avoid Irma. He says the traffic is horrible. On his twitter, you can see his video on YouTube -- stuck in traffic. The guy speaking in a Boston accent. haha

He is Jewish. He was raised growing up to believe he was ethnic Italian. He also claimed Greek and English ancestry. (according to him) He was brought up believing he was Italian. It was only two years ago he discovered he was actually a Jew. He is almost 37 years old. But he passes himself off as Italian and even carries Italian flags.

He never had a Bar Mitzvah and must be non-practicing. But yes he is a Jew. He told me he did some digging and researched his origins; and found out that he was Jewish from Italy.

He is a hilarious man. Especially his Boston accent. He does not practice Judaism. He claims he is an Agnostic. I'll try to get a good picture of him. He is currently trying to move out of Florida for Irma. He lives in Florida now; these days. Looks like the traffic is terrible there. He posts videos on YouTube.
Wow! I would hate to be in Florida or anywhere around the southeastern edge of the US at this time! I have no idea why we have to suffer not one (Harvey) but TWO apocalyptic hurricanes back to back...

Back on topic, feel free to share his results from Ancestry with us, if you don't mind.

There is a possibility that I myself may have Jewish ancestry. I would be quite excited if I did figure this out. I know that most of my ancestors were Anglo-Saxon quakers - originally British loyalists (before becoming rebels). I heard that a lot of Jewish people came over from England and many were also quakers. Some of my ancestors were hanged by the British Empire. They were accused of muckraking, stealing and even the practice of Witchcraft. But I do not believe my ancestors did any of these things - and the British were probably just paranoid Protestants. Most of my ancestors were Nobles in England and most of my British ancestry is what they call, "Blue-blooded."

I am also told that some of my English is actually Protestant Irish. And I am also told I have German ancestry - but I am actually believing it may be actually Dutch.

He claims his haplogroup is E1b1b. I am thinking it is one of the Jewish clades. He never told me specifically.
And he claims that he has evidence one of his grandmothers was Jewish. (or claimed she was)
It is unknown to me. Maybe he is fully Jewish. Or maybe half Jewish or 25% Jewish. etc. (but you can tell - by the way he looks - he does look pretty Jewish looking.)
He does have a very Jewish look to him though. He was always confused about his ancestry; and even doubted that he was a Jew. He told me that he also has some English and Greek ancestry. (but, I don't know if that's Jews from England or Greece.) He also claimed that he thinks he may be "Black Irish" but appears Jewish.
He has extremely Semitic features. Kind of like a Jewish or Lebanese kind of look.
I do believe that he is Jewish, also. But is unobservant and non-practice. (for instance; a forgotten heritage of his.) He was raised growing up, thinking that he was Italian. He tells me he comes from Tuscany or Veneto or somewhere. (originally) I haven't looked at a map of Italy, so I don't know if that would be accurate. He claims that his Italian family came from Tuscany or Veneto. (Venetian?) or both regions. And he has always heard rumors of having Jewish ancestry. But he was raised believing he was Italian.
"My name is Gio, I am here for my own entertainment and communicating, spreading whatever words of wisdom I need to."

Google "Giovanni Rain" and you will find his Twitter. He posts hilarious videos. (You will notice he has an Italian flag as background.) His surname isn't Rain, by the way. It's a fake surname. I will keep his real surname private, out of respect for him. (But it is Italian.)

If he's Jewish, why does he have the fascist flag as his background picture?

omitted*

His YouTube account was terminated for violating community guidelines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GiovannisSanctuary

Last edited:
"[FONT=&quot]My name is Gio, I am here for my own entertainment and communicating, spreading whatever words of wisdom I need to."
[/FONT]

Google "Giovanni Rain" and you will find his Twitter. He posts hilarious videos. (You will notice he has an Italian flag as background.) His surname isn't Rain, by the way. It's a fake surname. I will keep his real surname private, out of respect for him. (But it is Italian.)[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Obvious fake identity. On the internet you can state what you want.

If you know his real surname you can send me a private message, and I'll tell you who really is.

Redmayne, do not post material from avowed fascists on this site again.

Redmayne, are you up to posting his Ancestry results? What percent Jewish did he score?

@davef,
Nothing posted by someone flying a NAZI flag could ever be deemed to be reliable. He could be posting anyone's results. This discussion is over.

Redmayne, do not post material from avowed fascists on this site again.

I have not seen these posts. I know he is apparently a fascist. But I think that is a joke. But I know that he is Jewish. I don't know his DNA results, sorry. He could be 100% to 25%. I have no clue. I'd have to ask him.

I have not seen these posts. I know he is apparently a fascist. But I think that is a joke. But I know that he is Jewish. I don't know his DNA results, sorry. He could be 100% to 25%. I have no clue. I'd have to ask him.

You are officially warned.

You are officially warned.
Okay. But know that my friend Giovanni is a joker/tr0ll. So I don't know if he is real or not. But probably the latter. He sees himself as kind of a comedian. He has Hispanic friends there in Florida, too. He is originally from Boston (if you did not see the video, you can pick up on his accent.)

This thread has been viewed 19731 times.

Back