Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
KFdMBSq.png

xt10Twk.png

KMoYBU3.png

I would like to know more about my haplogroup, R-F1794. The Genographic Project said it descended from R-M269. However, I can't seem to find any information on this particular Y-chromosome. Any information would be much appreciated.
(y)

Last edited:
I would like to know more about my haplogroup, R-F1749. The Genographic Project said it descended from R-M269. However, I can't seem to find any information on this particular Y-chromosome. Any information would be much appreciated. (y)

R-M269 is a fancy term meaning R1b, however I couldn't find R-F1749 in the R1b phylogenetic tree; in this article below. If your specific haplogroup is not present in Eupedia's phylogenetic tree, then that means your direct lineage is super rare. Perhaps you can contact the Genographic project and ask them the origins of R1b-F1749 :)

Good luck in your reaserch

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml

Its F-1794, not F-1749

So it turns out, I'm F-1794, not F-1749; mistake on my part. Nevetheless, it wouldn't have been found on most phylogentic trees, regardless.

At any rate, I was able to finally locate a phylogenetic tree that displays my particular haplogroup within R-M269

I searched it using ctrl+F to quickly locate "F1794". It comes up as the following:

F1794/PF6455

Could someone help me better understand where this haplogroup comes from? Is PF6455 another way of saying F1794?

http://www.haplogroup-r.org/tree/R.html

Last edited:
http://www.haplogroup-r.org/variants.html

uOdENQM.jpg

Here's what I've uncovered about R-F1794. I created this graphic out of the snapshot I made from this website. Apparently these samples were taken from a Sardinian.

Last edited:
F1794 is to my knowledge one of a large number of phylogenetic equivalents to R-M269. The link from Twilight's post is very good as far as detailing R1b.

To explain the variant index entry a bit further:

The first column lists the tree name. It uses the same heuristic to choose a preferred name as David Poznik's yhaplo program (but the group assignment on the site uses my own algorithm that's about 3 years old now.) This makes the group assignments consistent with 23andMe's naming, but will be different from the general community in many cases.

The aliases column shows everything from yBrowse for the same location and mutation.

The coordinates should be self explanatory.

Branch(es) are all the tree blocks where the mutation has been known to occur. With more NGS results coming in we are finding many SNPs where the same mutation has developed independently.

Finally, Regions (which is blank for this example) indicates of the variant is contained in a known STR, the centromere, DYZ19, or other region that may prove problematic in the future. These result in the tree entry being color coded.

If someone is aware of an NGS test sample with 10x or better coverage showing otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate a link to the BAM. (Use the submission page on the hap group-r page.)

F1794 is to my knowledge one of a large number of phylogenetic equivalents to R-M269. The link from Twilight's post is very good as far as detailing R1b.

To explain the variant index entry a bit further:

The first column lists the tree name. It uses the same heuristic to choose a preferred name as David Poznik's yhaplo program (but the group assignment on the site uses my own algorithm that's about 3 years old now.) This makes the group assignments consistent with 23andMe's naming, but will be different from the general community in many cases.

The aliases column shows everything from yBrowse for the same location and mutation.

The coordinates should be self explanatory.

Branch(es) are all the tree blocks where the mutation has been known to occur. With more NGS results coming in we are finding many SNPs where the same mutation has developed independently.

Finally, Regions (which is blank for this example) indicates of the variant is contained in a known STR, the centromere, DYZ19, or other region that may prove problematic in the future. These result in the tree entry being color coded.

If someone is aware of an NGS test sample with 10x or better coverage showing otherwise, I'd greatly appreciate a link to the BAM. (Use the submission page on the hap group-r page.)

Thanks for the explanation! Sorry I'm only seeing this now. I see you host that site, I appreciate the fact you registered to tell me this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R-M269

Haplogroup R-M269, also known as R1b1a1a2, is a sub-clade of human Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b. It is of particular interest for the genetic history of Western Europe. It is defined by the presence of SNP marker M269. R-M269 has been the subject of intensive research; it was previously also known as R1b1a2 (2003 to 2005), R1b1c (2005 to 2008), and R1b1b2 (2008 to 2011)[3]

I was quite confused by this change, I thought R1b1a1a2 and R1b1a2 were different; but I see that they're the same. I discovered this while changing the description in my profile.

IDK, I just think it looks cooler than just R-M269. Something trivial, led me to learn something new. :wink:

R-F1749 Information Request

I would like to know more about my haplogroup, R-F1749. The Genographic Project said it descended from R-M269. However, I can't seem to find any information on this particular Y-chromosome. Any information would be much appreciated. (y)

..... (R1b-M269*).....
..... Englishmen and Welshmen who could trace their fatherlines to the veterans of the II Augusta, the IX Hispana, the XIV Gemina, the XX Valeria Victrix and the other Italians who crossed to Britain in their wake.......
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mace-lab/genetic-ancestry/guff_pages/guff_documents/Lost_Legions.pdf
Veni Vidi Vici?

It would be awesome if they found R-F1794 there specifically. However, the only other place I've seen it in was that Sardinia sample posted above. It only makes of 0.2% of the entire nat geo user population; it's a very rare clade.

It would be awesome if they found R-F1794 there specifically. However, the only other place I've seen it in was that Sardinia sample posted above. It only makes of 0.2% of the entire nat geo user population; it's a very rare clade.
My haplogroup makes only 0.1%, also found in Sardinia.
52072f107d0343266d7f0a2c9e85e2ec.jpg

My haplogroup makes only 0.1%, also found in Sardinia.
52072f107d0343266d7f0a2c9e85e2ec.jpg
from yfull on the cagliari sample
ERS256892 938 931 T-CTS8489 T-Z19945
He is T1a2-Z19945

and the other T1a2 was
ERS256891 937 930 T-S27463

23andme identified my paternal line as M269, but Helix/NatGeo identified my paternal line as F1794. Father's family from middle Italy, but paternal great grandfather was illegitimate son of a local noble. Needless to say, very interested in knowing more...

23andme identified my paternal line as M269, but Helix/NatGeo identified my paternal line as F1794. Father's family from middle Italy, but paternal great grandfather was illegitimate son of a local noble. Needless to say, very interested in knowing more...

That's very interesting.

All that I've found on the F1794, I've posted here on this thread.

Hey - let's connect!

I would like to know more about my haplogroup, R-F1794. The Genographic Project said it descended from R-M269. However, I can't seem to find any information on this particular Y-chromosome. Any information would be much appreciated. (y)

Looks like we are related! Italian-American in NY.

Would love to connect our research on F1794. Might be related to L483 which is what I got - my father's father took it as well and he got F1794. I can place his father's line into a town in the Vultura region of Italy in the 1700s - my last name is Lombard and I figure that's where the male line comes from.

Sorry, I have a personal policy of not meeting people I don't know, in person from the internet. But at any rate, all of the research that I know about R1b-F1794 is on this thread. I think it makes sense considering the spread of the Bari dialect. It seems to overlap in the Vulture region.

nWp1p1S.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bari_dialect
9dok98T.png

Moreover, there is a genetic study that shows some overlap between people from Bari and Northeast Basilicata:

Nttp2F3.png

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/35350-Surnames-and-Genes-in-Sicily-and-Southern-Italy

I would like to know more about my haplogroup, R-F1794. The Genographic Project said it descended from R-M269. However, I can't seem to find any information on this particular Y-chromosome. Any information would be much appreciated.

The most important information is, that you are an Indoeuropean. (y)
More useful informations you can get, if you will test other branches
of your family and will compare it with genealogical research.

Which last names did they include in the study?

This thread has been viewed 23466 times.

Back