I s26361

The name Wautier was brought to England by the Normans and the name evolved into Walter. I found a Robert Wauthy who died in Yorkshire around 1587. There was always an unsubstantiated understanding in the history of my family that maybe we ended up in Wallonia Belgium to escape Catholic persecution in England and to avoid the English Civil War. It would make sense why my paper trail starts in 1663 in Belgium. It would corroborate a connection with Adrian Stevenson. The question is the connection with the Sardinian sample which I believe could be a Norman emigrant from Sicily. Plus, the Vandals would be more east Germanic where as Z58 is west Germanic.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on this. We could certainly do with some more historical samples.

Cheers, Ade.

I am now grouped at Y Full as I FGC24357* along with four other people.

Sent some PM's this morning. It will be interesting to see what part of the world they are from.

At present there is one person from Sweden and three from unknown locations.

There are also two people listed as being in Italy, but they are both I YP5416 so a bit further down the tree.

Cheers, Ade.

Looking over Yfull, it seems like Z2041 is primarily a Scandinavian branch of Z58. It could have been present in the gothic tribes as well.

Z2041 formed 4300 years ago, continuing the rapid expansion and branching of the I1-DF29 that we see.

The other branches under Z59 look to be more western such as we might have found in Saxons.

I am now grouped at Y Full as I FGC24357* along with four other people.

Sent some PM's this morning. It will be interesting to see what part of the world they are from.

At present there is one person from Sweden and three from unknown locations.

There are also two people listed as being in Italy, but they are both I YP5416 so a bit further down the tree.

Cheers, Ade.

FTDNA has 3 subclades listed under FGC24357. PH4362, BY19375, and S10350. What's odd is that FTDNA does not list YP5417 as a subclade of FGC24257 even though yfull and isogg do.

S10350 itself has 3 subclades on FTDNA. BY19383, BY19370, and FGC24342. BY19383 is found in coastal Danelaw England. FGC24342 is found in southwestern coastal Ireland and USA.

So FGC24357 has a TMRCA of 1750 ybp yet it and it's subclades are found in Ireland, England, Belgium, Sweden, and Italy. I wonder if the Swedish match could be a Wallonian immigrant from the 1600s. Maybe the English and Irish matches could be Flemish immigrants. Or maybe they are all connected to some Viking migrations. Way too early to tell I suppose.

There are now just three of us listed as FGCI24357* under Y Full's new tree which came out today.

One from England (me) one from Sweden and one from Germany via Sweden to the USA.

The previous two listed people in the old tree have been pushed further down.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi I have tested positive for S16414, with long family links to southern England, 500+ has anyone else tested positive for I-S16414

Thank you for the quick reply Ade. As this subgroup grows I would like to try to track the migration routes in particular within the last 1500 years.

Thank you for the quick reply Ade. As this subgroup grows I would like to try to track the migration routes in particular within the last 1500 years.

Welcome to the forum. You are just one level above myself and Ade. S16414 -> FGC24357. You can test for FGC24357 at FTDNA or Yseq. It's about 2000 years old so it probably has a Scandinavian origin where it got dispersed to various Germanic tribes. It's found in Sardinia from possibly the Vandals, in Wallonia Belgium from possibly the Franks, and in England from possibly the Saxons or Vikings. As more people get tested and more subclades downstream are discovered it will be interesting to see how closely related our paternal ancestors were and where exactly they split off in different directions.

Welcome from me too.

I would agree with Mike's comments.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi I have tested positive for S16414, with long family links to southern England, 500+ has anyone else tested positive for I-S16414

Welcome to the forum and the unofficial I1 brotherhood. Would you mind sharing the surname of your I1 individual? Have you looked at that surname on the FTDNA family project site?

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome. My paternal surname which traces back 500 years in Gloucetershire is Gregory, but throught FTDNA I appear to have strong links to the surname Holcombe. In the FTDNA Holcombe project most Holcombe's listed are classified I-S26361 mostly originating from Somerset. I have no Holcombes that I can identify in my family tree so the link is probably over 500 years unless one of my paternal line adopted the name Gregory or the classic none paternal event!!!

A bunch of new subclades have been added underneath FGC24357 on the FTDNA tree. Unfortunately, they have not been added to YFULL yet so TMRCAs are lacking.

on FTDNA there a 4 subclades below fgc24357 mine appears to y 106825 i share this with one other person
as mentioned earlier my family can be traced back to ca 1480 at the coast of holland
they could be viking but my guess is still anglo saxon of course this is speculative

Just had an update from FTDNA.

With this, it has pushing me a whole nine places further down the tree!

I am now I BY34648.

Cheers, Ade.

on FTDNA there a 4 subclades below fgc24357 mine appears to y 106825 i share this with one other person
as mentioned earlier my family can be traced back to ca 1480 at the coast of holland
they could be viking but my guess is still anglo saxon of course this is speculative
Ade is Y106825–>BY34648 so he is the other person. He is from central England. A lot of archeologists are saying that the Germanic influences in England might be more Frisian than Anglo Saxon. This would make sense for your connection to Ade. It would also explain U106 peaking in Holland and the similarities between English and Frisian.

You should submit your data to YFULL. Ade already has his data with them. It would be interesting to see a TMRCA for Y106825.

Last edited:
I would agree with all of this.

It would be great to have a TMRCA date.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi,
I have tested BigY-500 and my haplogroup is:
I-S16414 > FGC24354* [Y-full]
(I-S22349 [FTDNA])
One level above FGC24357
My known roots are Swedish, earliest known ancestor born 1779.
Is here anyone else who have tested positive for SNP FGC24354?
(= S22349 FTDNA)
Would be interesting if we could track the migration routes.

Hi,
I have tested BigY-500 and my haplogroup is:
I-S16414 > FGC24354* [Y-full]
(I-S22349 [FTDNA])
One level above FGC24357
My known roots are Swedish, earliest known ancestor born 1779.
Is here anyone else who have tested positive for SNP FGC24354?
(= S22349 FTDNA)
Would be interesting if we could track the migration routes.

People who are positive for FGC24357 such as myself are also positive for FGC24354 which has a TMRCA of 2700 years almost certainly in Scandinavia. It’s age makes it difficult to track any specific migration route. You probably have 10-20 personal snps since FGC24354. As more people test and start to match more recent snps you have it will be easier to possibly track a specific migration in time as the TMRCA of your subclades shrink.

This thread has been viewed 20938 times.

Back