Adrian Stevenson

Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Y-DNA haplogroup
I BY34648.
mtDNA haplogroup
T2C1-t146!
Hi Everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I have been interested in my genetic background for some years now and have done quite a bit of testing over the past three years. I have tested with Britain's DNA, FTDNA, Ancestry and Living DNA.

Last week I got my FTDNA Big Y results through which has given me a new terminal SNP of I S26361.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade. Welcome to the forum. I am also I-S26361 so we share a great....grandfather possibly around 3500 years ago most likely in Scandinavia. This subclade is found mostly in Scandinavia (its probable origin) and countries that experienced West Germanic migrations such as with the Saxons and Franks 2000 years later. As a result, it is found from Germany to Ireland. Mine is probably of Frankish origin being from Wallonia Belgium. To be honest though there is no way to ever know for sure because there were a lot of generations of males between the Nordic Bronze Age and my paternal paper trail to 1650 A.D. I've tested negative for a few subclades below I-S26361. I'm looking forward to the day when the subclade tree below I-S26361 is more extensive and informative.

Congratulations on your results. Does the "Big Y" not take you all the way down the known trees, since there are known trees after S26361?

I never purchased the Big Y package. When I transferred my Natgeo information to FTDNA I was assigned the haplogroup I-Z2040 which was more specific than Natgeo's classification of I-P30. Then I started guessing and buying snps and tested positive for I-Z382 and then I-S26361. The only subclade FTDNA has underneath is I-Y15002.

So you're saying if you transfer your natgeo data to ftdna you'll get a deeper subclade result and is it free? How do you transfer natgeo cuz all I saw was tabs to upload 23andme or ancestry.
Also can you transfer natgeo to gedmatch?

The cost was $39 to transfer from natgeo to ftdna. It's a bit confusing because I think ftdna runs the samples for natgeo but then natgeo does it's own interpretation. So my origin results for ftdna 1.0 were almost identical to my natgeo results in terms of ethnicity percentages. For my friend they were exactly the same. For my haplogroup though ftdna was more specific with the $39 transfer. Natgeo basically said I was I1 (I-P30) but ftdna said I was I-Z2040 which is under I1a2. Plus, ftdna gave me the option to explore my haplogroup deeper for additional charges. I'm not sure about gedmatch. I used 23andMe for that transfer.

You mind giving a little instruction on how exactly you transfer the natgeo data to ftdna? Thanks

I'm not sure if things have changed since they updated to 2.0. I registered with ftdna. Afterwards on my home screen there were various advertisements for various products they were selling including the natgeo transfer. So I clicked on the advertisement. I forget but o think I just needed to know my kit number with natgeo. Ftdna has quick customer service replies. Register and contact their support. I'm sure they won't mind walking you through the process.

Since ftdna runs the samples for natgeo they already have your DNA sample. So it's not complicated to transfer the results. Good luck!

Logged on to ftdna just for fun today and I see they automatically updated my y haplogroup from I-S26361 to I-FGC24357 which is also under I-S16414. So now I'm 2700 years before present. Furthermore, they included a bunch of new snps underneath I-FGC24357 which I can test. These new snps are not even listed on the yfull website. Interesting!

The Helix Geno2 test isn't available yet for DNA data download so I can't transfer it to ftdna.

The test I took with natgeo was called geno 2.0 next generation. On the ftdna home screen there is an area that says genographic transfer. If I could post pictures I would take a screenshot. Which natgeo test did you take?

The test I took with natgeo was called geno 2.0 next generation. On the ftdna home screen there is an area that says genographic transfer. If I could post pictures I would take a screenshot. Which natgeo test did you take?

Me? I got the 2.0 next generation "Helix". On their website it says the Helix version isn't donwloadable yet and so it's not available from ftdna either. Might be a separate lab/company.

Hi, and thanks for the welcome!

I too have been upgraded to I FCG24357. I have also got my Dad's Family finder results through today too.

Cheers, Ade.

[h=1][/h]

Logged on to ftdna just for fun today and I see they automatically updated my y haplogroup from I-S26361 to I-FGC24357 which is also under I-S16414. So now I'm 2700 years before present. Furthermore, they included a bunch of new snps underneath I-FGC24357 which I can test. These new snps are not even listed on the yfull website. Interesting!

That's interesting as FCG24357 has been found in Sardinia and the only Germanic tribes that settled there are the Vandals and the Goths. This same FCG24357 has a TMRCA of only 1750 years, and yet it is also found in Belgium and England. I wonder how that came about.

It is certainly an interesting question.

I have submitted my data to Y Full.

Cheers, Ade.

That's interesting as FCG24357 has been found in Sardinia and the only Germanic tribes that settled there are the Vandals and the Goths. This same FCG24357 has a TMRCA of only 1750 years, and yet it is also found in Belgium and England. I wonder how that came about.

I wonder if the Normans could of had some influence in all three of those areas?

Last edited:

How precise would the TMRCA 1750 be? 267 AD in England is before Roman fall and the Anglo/Saxon/Jute Migration, but after the "Belgae" tribes (as described by Julius Caesar) had already established a presence.

For it to be found in Belgium and England I would think it was present in the "Belgae" which found its way across the channel before Roman conquest. Some of those tribes were destroyed by the Romans so the remnants could have been pushed eastward and ended up proliferating in later Gothic tribes. For this to be true it would need a slightly more distant TMRCA...

Is Yfull.com the best source for determining the "source" of terminal SNPs like FCG24357? I'm new to this stuff and there's a plethora of info to digest.

How precise would the TMRCA 1750 be? 267 AD in England is before Roman fall and the Anglo/Saxon/Jute Migration, but after the "Belgae" tribes (as described by Julius Caesar) had already established a presence.

For it to be found in Belgium and England I would think it was present in the "Belgae" which found its way across the channel before Roman conquest. Some of those tribes were destroyed by the Romans so the remnants could have been pushed eastward and ended up proliferating in later Gothic tribes. For this to be true it would need a slightly more distant TMRCA...

Is Yfull.com the best source for determining the "source" of terminal SNPs like FCG24357? I'm new to this stuff and there's a plethora of info to digest.

That's an interesting theory. Certain members of the Belgae including Ambiorix supposedly crossed the Rhine and went eastward after the Roman conquest. 1750 ybp is not an exact certainty. Maybe it was more like 2050 ybp?

It is certainly an interesting question.

I have submitted my data to Y Full.

Cheers, Ade.

My surname Wauthy is a shortened variant of Wauthier which is a French version of Old High German Walthari. My direct paper ancestry goes to Wallonia Belgium to the 1650s. However, I have found evidence of Wauthy and Wauthier in Belgium to 1350s.
However, on geneanet.org I have found some Wauthy's in Derbyshire, England in the 1800s. I have no idea how they got there or if they fit in my family tree. What's interesting is that Derbyshire is the county right next to your county in England.
On a side note. None of the snps under FGC24357 are currently available for testing on FTDNA so I am unable to further clarify my haplogroup. I tested negative for YP5417 on yseq so my common paternal ancestor with the Sardinian sample is older than 350 years but younger than 1750 years. Maybe the Vandals cut through Belgium on the way to Sardinia with a few migrating to England? Maybe it's a Norman snp that migrated from Sicily to Sardinia? Interesting!

This thread has been viewed 20939 times.

Back