What movie have you watched lately

Nothing beats Anchorman

Role Models was another classic. I'm into comedy mostly, especially the kind that pokes fun at society or the kind that is just rude in general.

I can always rely on some of what's posted here for a satisfying comedic dose ;)

Anything that makes a mockery of and pokes fun at things wins my vote as long as it isn't too sick like joking about actual tragedies

Yea, that was such a great episode! I also like the one with the hunter, and his dog who go to heaven. Also the one with the soldier, ballerina, hobo, and bag-piper trying to escape from a large cylinder, and it turns out that they're toy figurines. As well, the one about the cab driver whose TV predicts the future. The midnight sun was another classic episode. That was really a quality television show.

I haven't seen much of the 1980s remake of the Twilight-Zone, but this episode starring Bruce Willis, directed by Wes Craven; really is great imo

https://youtu.be/5Gk-pCjsWuE

For Dune, I actually haven't read the books, or seen the movie.

You should give the books a try. They're prophetic about climate change, drugs, genetics, you name it. You have to read them in order, though. The movie is meh.

You should give the books a try. They're prophetic about climate change, drugs, genetics, you name it. You have to read them in order, though. The movie is meh.

Sounds like something I'd like, I'll check them out one day.

Oh dear, how to choose? Aliens, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Walk the Line, Once Upon a Time in the West?

Wait a minute...is this a new season of Banshee or re-runs?

Usually there's nothing to watch, and now all of this...No fair.

Oh dear, how to choose? Aliens, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Walk the Line, Once Upon a Time in the West?
Wait a minute...is this a new season of Banshee or re-runs?
Usually there's nothing to watch, and now all of this...No fair.

I love Aliens, that would be my choice. Nevertheless, those are all tough choices, they're all good. Haven't seen Banshee though.

All good except for Aliens. I was watching it for about 30 mins and was like "screw this, this is boring" then walked away. No offense, i don't know why people liked it.

I guess it's due to being accustomed to playing bloody and gory video games most my life
lol. I can never get myself through a movie unless it's real good, I need to take part in the action which is why I spent most of my leisure time playing video games growing up. Haven't gotten the new Nintendo switch, can't afford it but my PlayStation 4 is good enough.

Angela, what movie haven't you seen? I'm amazed you were able to handle some of the more violent gory stuff, you seem like the sensitive squeamish type, did you close your eyes during the icky scenes?

Last edited:
All good except for Aliens. I was watching it for about 30 mins and was like "screw this, this is boring" then walked away. No offense, i don't know why people liked it.

I guess it's due to being accustomed to playing bloody and gory video games most my life
lol. I can never get myself through a movie unless it's real good, I need to take part in the action which is why I spent most of my leisure time playing video games growing up. Haven't gotten the new Nintendo switch, can't afford it but my PlayStation 4 is good enough.

Angela, what movie haven't you seen? I'm amazed you were able to handle some of the more violent gory stuff, you seem like the sensitive squeamish type, did you close your eyes during the icky scenes?

Aliens (1986) has a 94% approval out of 427,694 user reviews, and a 98% out of 65 professional reviews. It's considered one of the best movies ever made. Many of those games you play took great inspiration from that film in particular. Are you sure your inability to watch the movie isn't attributed to your ADHD? I recall from another thread that you said that you have that condition.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000617_aliens?

Aliens (1986) has a 94% approval out of 427,694 user reviews, and a 98% out of 65 professional reviews. It's considered one of the best movies ever made. Many of those games you play took great inspiration from that film in particular. Are you sure your inability to watch the movie isn't attributed to your ADHD? I recall from another thread that you said that you have that condition.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000617_aliens?

Arrrghhhh i goofed, I was referrring to alien 3. I looked it up and it got crap reviews. No surprise I left it behind. I never saw the others.

Yes I have ADHD and no I'm not a big movie watcher and yes that's due to ADHD. It would have to be something really captivating if it isn't a good comedy like the rocky flicks (but I can't watch the latest "modern" one again, it's too depressing).

There are a lot of movies I don't watch, like all those slasher films, Friday the 13th stuff, for instance. They have no redeeming value, in my opinion. I also don't watch certain movies about drugs. I couldn't watch Trainspotting, for example. I turned it off.

I found it difficult to get through even a film like Wall Street. I stuck with it because it was so well made. Same thing with Pulp Fiction, where I did close my eyes. I guess I will watch something with difficult subject matter if it has artistic value and if I think the "icky scenes" are not gratuitous. For example, I watched Narcos on Netflix and thought it was very good.

Most of the stuff on netflix I find unwatchable, however. Out of the last 40 Netflix original productions I've watched five. I'm thinking of cancelling. The only reason I haven't is that I really like their crime procedurals, like "The Killing" and "The Fall".

I'll admit, though, that my tastes are slightly more "masculine" than those of most of my women friends. I don't watch the Marvel Comics type films, though, or that film about drunks whose name escapes me.

Hmm I enjoy films which are mostly highly rated (NC-17/R/NR, 18 UK) I don't know i just don't enjoy kids/teen films as much except for the marvel films.

I watched legend which has tom hardy (one of my favorite actors. I can't wait to see the venom film).
I have seen the first alien film and it was great.
I also seen many others too but the list would be too long.

I would recommend Dogtooth and Suntan. They are both Greek films, Yeah I enjoy Greek films!

Hmm I enjoy films which are mostly highly rated (NC-17/R/NR, 18 UK) I don't know i just don't enjoy kids/teen films as much except for the marvel films.
I watched legend which has tom hardy (one of my favorite actors. I can't wait to see the venom film).
I have seen the first alien film and it was great.
I also seen many others too but the list would be too long.
I would recommend Dogtooth and Suntan. They are both Greek films, Yeah I enjoy Greek films!

Have you ever seen that movie, "The Drop" with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini? It was compelling, and sort of reminded me of Taxi Driver, in a way.

Oh man, that movie was released shortly after he (James Gandolfini) died. I was in total shock when I first heard about his passing, he was a wonderful actor and person.

Have you ever seen that movie, "The Drop" with Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and James Gandolfini? It was compelling, and sort of reminded me of Taxi Driver, in a way.

Ahh I can give it a shot, yeah iI will watch it thanks Jovialis!

I hesitate whether to recommend this or not. It's called "Shelter" and stars Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers and I saw it on Netflix. I thought it was going to be a psychiatrist/criminal movie, and it turned out to be quite different. Some parts toward the end are a bit cheesy, but the acting was so good, particularly by him, that it scared the hell out of me. In fact, I had nightmares about it all night. Not for the faint of heart.

More of a regular crime procedural is the French thriller "La Mante". I thought it was very good.

I hesitate whether to recommend this or not. It's called "Shelter" and stars Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers and I saw it on Netflix. I thought it was going to be a psychiatrist/criminal movie, and it turned out to be quite different. Some parts toward the end are a bit cheesy, but the acting was so good, particularly by him, that it scared the hell out of me. In fact, I had nightmares about it all night. Not for the faint of heart.

More of a regular crime procedural is the French thriller "La Mante". I thought it was very good.
Shelter got a 4 percent approval rating. I'm out ;)

Shelter got a 4 percent approval rating. I'm out ;)

Audience score is considered more reliable than the Critic score; 3.1/5 isn't that bad.

Sometimes the critics love a movie and the audience hates it.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jul/12/movies-audience-loved-critics-hated

Sometimes, the professional critics are complete morons:

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ies-the-critics-got-dead-wrong/254991/#slide7

Here's just a few amazing and timeless movies that the movie critics initially disliked.

Wizard of Oz
Citizen Kane
Godfather Part II
Apocalypses Now
Metropolis
Die Hard

Any film critic that dislikes those movies should never be taken seriously again.

Audience score is considered more reliable than the Critic score; 3.1/5 isn't that bad.

Sometimes the critics love a movie and the audience hates it.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jul/12/movies-audience-loved-critics-hated

Sometimes, the professional critics are complete morons:

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ies-the-critics-got-dead-wrong/254991/#slide7

Here's just a few amazing and timeless movies that the movie critics initially disliked.

Wizard of Oz
Citizen Kane
Godfather Part II
Apocalypses Now
Metropolis
Die Hard

Any film critic that dislikes those movies should never be taken seriously again.

I think "Casablanca" and "It's A Wonderful Life" got bad critic reviews as well.

I tend not to read the critic reviews and to go with the reviews right on Netflix. Those were on the whole pretty good for it. I wouldn't expect any film with a religious point of view to get good scores from current critics, though. (As I said, the scenes with the "old granny" were pretty cheesy, so a great film this is not.) Heck, maybe not even in the past. I'm sure they hated films like "The Exorcist" and the "Omen" and "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", too. I was about to say I really "enjoyed" those movies, but that's not really the right word. :)

Another recent one on netflix, that they spent millions to produce, is "Bright", with Will Smith. I had heard the critics panned it, but the reviews on netflix were sort of mixed, so I gave it a try. I lasted fifteen minutes. Most movies have their flaws, but for goodness sakes, don't bore me.

I think "Casablanca" and "It's A Wonderful Life" got bad critic reviews as well.

I tend not to read the critic reviews and to go with the reviews right on Netflix. Those were on the whole pretty good for it. I wouldn't expect any film with a religious point of view to get good scores from current critics, though. (As I said, the scenes with the "old granny" were pretty cheesy, so a great film this is not.) Heck, maybe not even in the past. I'm sure they hated films like "The Exorcist" and the "Omen" and "The Exorcism of Emily Rose", too. I was about to say I really "enjoyed" those movies, but that's not really the right word. :)

Another recent one on netflix, that they spent millions to produce, is "Bright", with Will Smith. I had heard the critics panned it, but the reviews on netflix were sort of mixed, so I gave it a try. I lasted fifteen minutes. Most movies have their flaws, but for goodness sakes, don't bore me.

Wow, you saw the exorcist? You seem to handle some violent content if the flick is deep and intellectual or something but the exorcist is shallow as a kiddie pool

That's true, film critics may also have a very pretentious, and snooty disposition, which probably clouds their judgement as well. They could also be doing a hatchet-job on a film; as we can see Hollywood is very politicized.

Here's a great example of an excellent religious film that was hated by critics and loved by the audience:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/passion_of_the_christ/

Movies like the Exorcist, the Shining and the Omen scared the hell out of me when I first watched them, when I was small. They're truly amazing films! :giggle:

This thread has been viewed 61612 times.

Back