What movie have you watched lately

Wow, you saw the exorcist? You seem to handle some violent content if the flick is deep and intellectual or something but the exorcist is shallow as a kiddie pool

You don't like the exorcist either? That movie is also a classic.

That's true, film critics may also have a very pretentious, and snooty disposition, which probably clouds their judgement as well. They could also be doing a hatchet-job on a film; as we can see Hollywood is very politicized.
Here's a great example of an excellent religious film that was hated by critics and loved by the audience:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/passion_of_the_christ/
Movies like the Exorcist, the Shining and the Omen scared the hell out of me when I first watched them, when I was small. They're truly amazing films! :giggle:

Those reviews of "The Passion of the Christ" are a travesty, imo. That was a brilliant movie in every sense of the word, savaged by people who 1) thought we were still living in the Middle Ages and it would spark pogroms as Passion Plays once did 2) hated Mel Gibson and always had 3)hate Christianity.

Is it too violent for some people, perhaps? Yes, it is, but there was violence and gore in Braveheart too. Mel Gibson makes it real. That's the way it was in both cases. If you're of a religious frame of mind, that's what God suffered for our sins. Did I find it distressing, upsetting, did I weep? Yes, I did. That's besides the point. Those reviews are as ridiculous of those of Pauline Kael used to be. Crucifixion is a violent business.

I cried all the way through Schindler's List. A friend of mine who knows me well brought along an entire box of tissues, and I used them all. I almost did leave, but I felt that I had to bear witness to it.

Those reviews of "The Passion of the Christ" are a travesty, imo. That was a brilliant movie in every sense of the word, savaged by people who 1) thought we were still living in the Middle Ages and it would spark pogroms as Passion Plays once did 2) hated Mel Gibson and always had 3)hate Christianity.
Is it too violent for some people, perhaps? Yes, it is, but there was violence and gore in Braveheart too. Mel Gibson makes it real. That's the way it was in both cases. If you're of a religious frame of mind, that's what God suffered for our sins. Did I find it distressing, upsetting, did I weep? Yes, I did. That's besides the point. Those reviews are as ridiculous of those of Pauline Kael used to be. Crucifixion is a violent business.
I cried all the way through Schindler's List. A friend of mine who knows me well brought along an entire box of tissues, and I used them all. I almost did leave, but I felt that I had to bear witness to it.

Schindler's list was another excellent film, which was also considerably graphic in content. Nevertheless, it captured the brutal reality of history. But like the Passion of the Christ, the violence in the film was more for realism (the punishment of crucifixion and scourging), than gratuity; unlike in that disgusting movie Hostel, or some senseless b-movie.

I just saw "47 Meters Down". While it is certainly not the best movie, I thought it was fun to watch. I think it missed some opportunities to be a good movie. Some of the action parts could have been done better. Being a shark aficionado sparked my interest in seeing it. It had some good atmosphere, since the ocean floor is terrifying. But I think It missed the mark with using the sharks.

I also so "Before I Wake" last night, which was also okay imo.

"Hell or High Water" with Jeffrey Bridges and Chris Pine, a 2018 modern Western set in West Texas..."Bone Tomahawk" with Kurt Russell and Patrick Wilson, a gothic Western set in Texas in the 1890's, with bits of horror-based violence.

Hey. Wolf from Wall Street this is the last film I saw. It's very long. This film has a duration of about two hours. This film is very serious and interesting.

I recently watched The Mist (2007) and I'm not really disappointed. It has a nice plot going and the kill count is pretty big for a thriller movie. The ending though left me feeling sad and satisfied.

... for they are all there but one — I, Chingachgook — last of ...

I saw "Samson" on Netflix, over the holidays. It was mediocre, and the casting was really bad. (Though I really do like the actor, Rutger Hauer). Nevertheless, it was a fun movie to watch.

I haven't watched that one yet.

I did watch Birdbox with Sandra Bullock. I found it pretty enjoyable until the resolution, which was stupid in my opinion. She's always a reliable actress, so there's that.

I haven't watched that one yet.

I did watch Birdbox with Sandra Bullock. I found it pretty enjoyable until the resolution, which was stupid in my opinion. She's always a reliable actress, so there's that.

Sometimes the actors can carry the movie a bit, I find.

The last movie we watched with friends is "I am Legend." I liked the plot and the actor. The film is very good and interesting.

Green Book. A movie everyone should watch.

Another essential one...

Black Robe

Master and Commander

This thread has been viewed 62376 times.

Back