What movie have you watched lately

Just watched "The Last Duel", which Matt Damon and Ben Afleck wrote. It got about an 8 point something on Rotten Tomatoes, and I'd go with something like that.

I do wish Ben Affleck would stop acting, he's even worse than usual in this one, and Matt Damon is his usual stodgy self, physically and in terms of acting.

The standouts are Julie Comer playing the wife being pulled to pieces by the two men, and the incredible Adam Driver. Where have I been that I haven't seen his movies, and here he is in his late 30s, and Scorsese calling him perhaps the best actor of his generation? I think most of his movies are either for younger or more hip people than I. :) Regardless, I will now be on the hunt for all his movies. He's an incredible actor going by the evidence of this film, and it's impossible to tear one's eyes off him, at least impossible for me. Part of it is his physical frame, all 6'2" of it, and the grace with which he moves it, part of it is his beautiful voice, and perhaps part of it is the long hair balancing out his rather unconventional features for an actor, but whatever it is, it works.

For those more into fight scenes than sexuality, the duel is really brilliantly done. Ignore all the posturing by women's studies majors. Whatever Affleck and Damon intended, it's a character study and an action/history movie more than a lecture.

I'd love to know what really went on, because despite looking at this cause celebre of the Middle Ages three ways, I don't know, and I doubt anyone does.

hanibbal rising 2007

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367959/

i want to say i am very sorry for the death of this talented french actor
in the age of 37 what a tragedy :sadcry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaspard_Ulliel

gaspard-2-936x527.jpg

Just watched this documentary, what a sociopath lol, he did a ponzy scheme on woman he met on tinder. Unbelievably but he was scheming them.

What an injustice world, Simon free roaming and still rich, and the girls victims still paying their debts to creditors.

I rewatched Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. A masterpiece. Batman is my favorite comic book character.

I can see sort of different perspective now than years ago.

Just watched an Italian language film on Netflix called "Security" in English.

It's set in Forte dei Marmi, my favorite Italian beach resort; it's on the Tuscan coast.

This is where the Italian elites "really" go, not to Lago di Como to hob knob with George Clooney and all the other Americans. It costs the earth to buy there, and even just to buy a place for the season at one of the bagni, but for a week it's manageable.

It's quiet, serene, clean and orderly, understated and reserved, a center for cultural experiences in the summer, a civilized beach experience in the Italian style. Not for everyone, but I adore it.

The plot is a bit obvious, but the location filming is gorgeous.

I liked this movie, i know Tom Cruise doesn't fullfill the physical description of Jack Reacher of the novel, especially his short stature but he is quite good on it.

Watched Prey, actually it's a good movie, has a good story, but somehow i am not convinced from the setup in the movie, a girl who helplessly runs away from a bear beats a Predator.

For me, nothing beats the original Predator 1 movie from 1987, my favorite . Dutch greeting Dillon "Hey Dillon, you son of a b i t c h". Then a close up of Dutch's ripped biceps. Sheer masculinity of 1980-s.

My memory doesn't recall correctly, i think i might have watched quite a long time this movie but anyways i never looked on the details and the deeper meaning.

This is one of Clint Eastwood's masterpieces, and a very heartbreaking story. Perhaps many of you guys have already watched this masterpiece, if not, watch it.

My memory doesn't recall correctly, i think i might have watched quite a long time this movie but anyways i never looked on the details and the deeper meaning.

This is one of Clint Eastwood's masterpieces, and a very heartbreaking story. Perhaps many of you guys have already watched this masterpiece, if not, watch it.

Excellent directing, dialogue, acting, but so, so sad. I don't think I could watch it again, but I am glad I watched it. This is what great film making is like.

I don't remember if anyone has mentioned Silver Linings Playbook. I watched it last night for the third time. Great treatment of mental health issues, funny, and a celebration of family all at the same time.

Anyone watched the new Lord of the Rings?

Not a big fan of it, but i don't agree with the backslash Amazon is facing. We should just give it some time. Initially it felt a bit slow-paced, but perhaps they are trying to build the world which latter events will be setup.

I discussed it on the Netflix thread; I don't like it much at all, and not just because of the diversity run amok. The acting also stinks, imo, especially that of the actress playing Galadriel. She is nothing like the character as written. In fact, none of the characters are anything like the characters Tolkien created. He must be turning over in his grave.

These "creators" just don't get it; if you're going to do a film or series based on well loved fantasy books, you can't spit in the face of the readers of the books. They're your biggest potential market. Turning them off is a big risk; is the stand alone show good enough to attract enough younger watchers not familiar with the material to make up for the ones you lost?

For me, I'm done with it.

1 Billion dollars to make and it may all go up in smoke. Couldn't happen to a more deserving jerk than Jeff Bezos.

I discussed it on the Netflix thread; I don't like it much at all, and not just because of the diversity run amok. The acting also stinks, imo, especially that of the actress playing Galadriel. She is nothing like the character as written. In fact, none of the characters are anything like the characters Tolkien created. He must be turning over in his grave.

These "creators" just don't get it; if you're going to do a film or series based on well loved fantasy books, you can't spit in the face of the readers of the books. They're your biggest potential market. Turning them off is a big risk; is the stand alone show good enough to attract enough younger watchers not familiar with the material to make up for the ones you lost?

For me, I'm done with it.

1 Billion dollars to make and it may all go up in smoke. Couldn't happen to a more deserving jerk than Jeff Bezos.

I admit, i am actually not familiar with the book material at all, i just recently started reading some fandom posts and explanations to keep up with the main plot. But, from what i have seen, the Peter Jackson's trilogy has that magic which this one lacks. It's a bit too early maybe to judge, let's give it a bit of time. For instance, in the beginning somewhat i saw Robert Aramayo as Elrond as miscast, but somehow during the 2 episodes i actually started to get accustomed with him as the character, also Durin seems like a good cast.

I watched Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad. Masterpieces.

Saul Goodman (It's all good man), best lawyer-conman ever. :LOL:

I watched Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad. Masterpieces.

Saul Goodman (It's all good man), best lawyer-conman ever. :LOL:

They're both very well made, with excellent acting, but I couldn't keep watching them. Breaking Bad just depressed the hell out of me, and as for Better Call Saul, while I've known and been forced to deal with my fair share of shady lawyers, it's way over the top. :)

Definitely entertaining, though, both of them.

Oh, I stopped watching Rings of Power after the second episode. It's just complete drek, imo. It would take forever to list what I think is wrong with it, so I'll just talk about how Galadriel's character is written vs. the male characters. It's the typical "woke" trope: the commanding, confident, take charge woman who can somehow do the physical things women can't do, versus all the inept, weak, vacillating male characters, when they're not outright evil.

I honestly feel sorry for young men who are fed this ego destroying crap.

Oh, I left aside that this character has absolutely NOTHING to do with the character of Galadriel from the source material.

When these Hollywood writers stray from the source material they ruin it. The same thing happened with the last few episodes of GOT, which I loved. Once they went beyond what Martin had written, it blew up.

This thread has been viewed 61842 times.

Back