What movie have you watched lately

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I watched "Manchester By The Sea" last night on Amazon Prime. All I can say is thank God I didn't have to pay to watch it. I don't know if it's me or the Hollywood media mill and Hollywood people in the Academy who give out awards, but I thought Casey Affleck was terrible. I cry at the drop of a hat too, and I didn't even get teary. I didn't like it is that this I didn't find any redeeming qualities in this vulgar, foul-mouthed family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsVoD0pTge0

I watched this film on Netflix called BLAME! the other night. It's kind of like a mix between an anime and animated film, but it was really well done. The plot could have used a bit more explaining, as could one or two of the characters - the main character, Killy, was especially shrouded in mystery - but overall it was really worth watching. I kind of knew it would be good since it was a Netflix production - one of those exclusive ones.

In my opinion that's pretty much the only redeeming quality about Netflix. I don't really like their choice of films all that much and their catalogue doesn't really seem too extensive. I was reading an article about the alternatives to Netflix and it seems like Google Play and Amazon might be the way to go. If anyone has any advice about one or the other please let me know.

Just finished an excellent crime "mini-series" on Netflix called "Manhunt". It's about the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski. It was really engrossing and fast paced, and both Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany were superb. I didn't even recognize Paul Bettany until the end. He was so good that he had me feeling sorry for him by the end.

As to Netflix, I'm getting progressively disenchanted too. They seem to be spending their money not on acquiring films, but on original programming, programming for which I'm definitely not the target audience. The only "originals" I watch are the crime dramas. I'm going to be looking at Google Play and perhaps Hulu as well. I basically want not only films, but also certain channels like HBO. I get Amazon because I'm a prime member but it's not great. I don't know if the next level is worth it.

I just saw Blade Runner 2049, and it was amazing!

It was 2 hours and 43 mins, and not once did I feel bored watching it. The cinematography was outstanding, and I actually felt invested in the characters. The story was terrific, and it is really worthy of being a sequel to the original. Rarely do I feel this way about movies anymore, but I walked out of the theater feeling impressed and satisfied with watching it.

5/5 stars for sure!

^ I want to watch Blade Runner 2049. I listened to the whole soundtrack yesterday. Since I use the old Blade Runner (by Vangelis) for concentration, I was kinda disappointed by this one. I hope the movie is good though.

I just saw Blade Runner 2049, and it was amazing!

It was 2 hours and 43 mins, and not once did I feel bored watching it. The cinematography was outstanding, and I actually felt invested in the characters. The story was terrific, and it is really worthy of being a sequel to the original. Rarely do I feel this way about movies anymore, but I walked out of the theater feeling impressed and satisfied with watching it.

5/5 stars for sure!

Ok I guess I'll see it. I haven't really kept up with recent sci fi films besides the excellent Star Trek flicks

Ok I guess I'll see it. I haven't really kept up with recent sci fi films besides the excellent Star Trek flicks

While they are both sci-fi, Blade Runner is a Sci-fi Noir/Tech Noir film; a combination of Sci-Fi and Film Noir. It's similar to an old crime-drama, in a futuristic setting. A lot of it has it's roots in German Expressionism; films like Metropolis.

Imagine a Dashiell Hammett book taking place in a dark high-tech future setting.

While they are both sci-fi, Blade Runner is a Sci-fi Noir/Tech Noir film; a combination of Sci-Fi and Film Noir. It's similar to an old crime-drama, in a futuristic setting. A lot of it has it's roots in German Expressionism; films like Metropolis.

Imagine a Dashiell Hammett book taking place in a dark high-tech future setting.
Sci fi noir reminds me of that disappointing halo game i got (ODST) on Xbox 360 :). Sadly, that series is going downhill.

But since you weren't bored most of the time, it sounds good to me.

Last edited:
This movie was filmed with natural light only. One of my favourites

Last edited:

Red Dragon (2002)

Good movie, I saw for the first time the other day. This is supposed to be a prequel to Silence of the Lambs. Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, Harvey Keitel, and Philip Seymour Hoffman play great roles in the film. While it's not quite as good or as memorable as Silence of Lambs, but I think the film was sufficient for being a prequel.

^^New Year's day is a good movie day; staying home and relaxing with a good film. Though usually I like to watch some of the Twilight-Zone marathon as well that they play on New Year's.

Third from the Sun is one of my favorite episodes.

This has been movie day for me too.

TNT played "His Gal Friday". Love it, so watched it again. She was one of my role models as a teenager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...XYVsQ80HypF&src_vid=9tHwS5Ymvag&v=WsaXEsBV6b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz2FxTVVJi4&index=9&list=PLZbXA4lyCtqrFPLIEEoQ20XYVsQ80HypF

One of the world's great comediennes.

Rolled right in to "The Return of the King".

I don't know how many times I've watched it, but it never palls.

Whats a comedienne? Does that mean French comedian?

Whats a comedienne? Does that mean French comedian?
it means female comedian! (y) I was betting on it meaning French comedian when i googled it.

co·me·di·enne
kəˌmēdēˈen/
noun

• a female comedian.

^^New Year's day is a good movie day; staying home and relaxing with a good film. Though usually I like to watch some of the Twilight-Zone marathon as well that they play on New Year's.

Third from the Sun is one of my favorite episodes.

I love that show. Do you know the one where the girl has had extensive facial surgery because she's so hideous that children run from her screaming? You never see the doctors and nurses. At the end when they take the bandages off she starts screaming because it didn't work and she's still hideous. The camera pans out to show you that the doctors and nurses look like monsters and the girl looks like a beautiful human girl.

So many lessons were taught through those little short stories.

I don't know if you're a fan of the "Dune" books. I loved them and thought the movie was so disappointing. I wish they'd do another better one.

I love that show. Do you know the one where the girl has had extensive facial surgery because she's so hideous that children run from her screaming? You never see the doctors and nurses. At the end when they take the bandages off she starts screaming because it didn't work and she's still hideous. The camera pans out to show you that the doctors and nurses look like monsters and the girl looks like a beautiful human girl.
So many lessons were taught through those little short stories.
I don't know if you're a fan of the "Dune" books. I loved them and thought the movie was so disappointing. I wish they'd do another better one.

Yea, that was such a great episode! I also like the one with the hunter, and his dog who go to heaven. Also the one with the soldier, ballerina, hobo, and bag-piper trying to escape from a large cylinder, and it turns out that they're toy figurines. As well, the one about the cab driver whose TV predicts the future. The midnight sun was another classic episode. That was really a quality television show.

I haven't seen much of the 1980s remake of the Twilight-Zone, but this episode starring Bruce Willis, directed by Wes Craven; really is great imo

https://youtu.be/5Gk-pCjsWuE

For Dune, I actually haven't read the books, or seen the movie.

This thread has been viewed 61612 times.

Back