23andme and AncestryDNA, post your Southern European results

Twilight

Reaction score
Ethnic group
15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c7a
Good morning, I was comparing my 23andme and Ancestry.com results and my Mediterranean ancestry seems really similar on both sites. I'm curious to see if this is a common theme or if my eyes are deceiving me. :)

23andme

Iberian:0.6
Italian: 0.3
Balkans:0
Broadly Southern European: 2.4

AncestryDNA

Iberian:>1%
Italy/Greece:2%

Ancestry DNA:
Iberian Peninsula 25%
Italy/Greece 3%

23andMe:
Southern European 10.8%
Iberian 0.8%
Sardinian 0.7%
Italian 0.3%
Broadly Southern European 9%

Discrepancy = 17.2%

They both use the Sorenson lab (23andMe uses the same chip then adds mtdna for finding a haplo).

If they are both recent tests then the differences should only be in the interpretation of the exact same data.

It seems like most "british isles" people have 1-3% "Iberian" and 1-3% "Italian" without having any ancestors from those places. Meaning that those were absorbed in to "british isles" previously. The Iberian component seems to come from the pre-Celtic inhabitants or perhaps even the Celts brought it. The Italian is more puzzling. I don't think it correlates to the Romans, but perhaps some component of near eastern farmer base.

I could be wrong but I think Ancestry includes South Western France into their Iberian Peninsula category. DNA Land correctly labels South Western France as Southwestern Europe. On the contrary I think that 23andMe, FTDNA and Natgeo differentiate between Southwestern France and the Iberian Peninsula or Southern Europe. I still don't understand how many of these companies create an overlapping category of Western Europe to describe someone from Berlin and Marseille.

They both use the Sorenson lab (23andMe uses the same chip then adds mtdna for finding a haplo).

If they are both recent tests then the differences should only be in the interpretation of the exact same data.

It seems like most "british isles" people have 1-3% "Iberian" and 1-3% "Italian" without having any ancestors from those places. Meaning that those were absorbed in to "british isles" previously. The Iberian component seems to come from the pre-Celtic inhabitants or perhaps even the Celts brought it. The Italian is more puzzling. I don't think it correlates to the Romans, but perhaps some component of near eastern farmer base.

Probably, been thinking along those lines also, either genetically unidentifiable Balkan or Middle Eastern.

Genetic Ydna clues: I don't think R1A-Z93 has a noticeable presence in England. However genetically I supposed the best clue to the "Middleeastern farmer theory" is R1b-Z2103 Anatolian Branch witch has its presence in Britain but I could be wrong, just educated guessing.
How do you think both R1b-Z2103 ended up in England?

Roman Documents: As far as paper trail goes, do you know where specifically the Romans got their Merchants/Farmers?

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.shtml#Greco-Anatolian

If you put it that way, Roman auxiliaries were rewarded some farmland if they survived into retirement and apparently according to the documentary "Meet the Romans" the soldiers were pretty good catches for local woman. The regiment's names tend to be Celtic, Germanic, Iberian and Thracian/Illyrian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_auxiliaries_in_Britain

-Southern European 87.1%-
Italian 68.2%
Balkan 8.09%
Broadly Southern European 10.0%

See:
Romancoloniae.jpg

Reconstruction of Roman settler in Wales. Maybe he came from Campania or Basilicata.

1f7266cce760613b849dc4ac82bf8d33--roman-empire-south-wales.jpg

He looks like a grim version of a Mark Ruffalo type. (He really should lose weight; he used to be so handsome. :))

f7e9e0adc7c298d897c7ed7432d2befd.jpg

8453172729f1d6d5d6091e83378f28e0.jpg

Ancestry results 18% Italy/Greece.

Mine 23andme (from eastern Emilia and Romagna):

Southern European 83.3%
- Italian 54.6%
- Balkan 6.5%
- Iberian 6.0%
- Sardinian 0.3%
- Broadly Southern European 16.0%

That Roman Wales guy bares a striking resemblance to this Bosnian MMA fighter
View attachment 8834

AncestryDNA:

Italy/Greece 5%
Iberian Peninsula 2%

23andme:

Iberian 0.3%
Broady Southern European 0.5%

Based on family stories, I expected to get at least SOME Italian, Balkan or Jewish on 23andme (which imo is more accurate for Euros), but nope. Then again, I can't find any Middle Eastern or Southern European in my family tree.

Here is mine from ancestry.com (Both sides of the family is from Galicia/Spain)
Iberian Peninsula 36%
Italy/Greece 36%

23andMe only:

Balkan 54.1%
Broadly Southern European 8.7%

I still don't see how the very diverse Balkan population can be simply labeled "Southern European" :rolleyes:

23andme:
10.1% Italian
26.8% Broadly Southern european
6.2% Iberian
I m half North italian, 1/8 Portuguese and 1/4 German(1/16 ashkenazi, 1/16 native)

Here are my 23andMe scores.
I would NOT recommend this site for testing and feel that they need much work to refine their results.
Italian 0.4%
Balkan 0.2%
Iberian 0.1%
Broadly Southern European 3.4%

Here are my 23andMe scores.
I would NOT recommend this site for testing and feel that they need much work to refine their results.
Italian 0.4%
Balkan 0.2%
Iberian 0.1%
Broadly Southern European 3.4%

I hate to break it to you, but you have a lot more "southern" ancestry than that, if that's what's bothering you.

I hate to break it to you, but you have a lot more "southern" ancestry than that, if that's what's bothering you.
Actually, my post was complaining that my MASSIVE Italian component, was not detected by 23andMe.
I have no issues with southern euro ancestry, and in a nutshell I'm strongly plotting Italian or mainland Greek on an autosomal level.
23andMe didn't capture any of my quite strong Roman ancestral component and gave me me "Italian 0.4%."
I generally plot in Abruzzo or mainland Greece on accurate calculators like MDLP K16.
Not sure you were reading my post as I intended.
I'm a new poster so perhaps it's reasonable to infer that I have some issues with Southern Euros.
I did however mention in the introductions forums that I have disdain for the northern vs southern Euro flame wars on many childish forums.
I'm disappointed at 23andMe for FAILING to accurately detect my Italian ancestry.
I do NOT recommend 23andMe and stand strongly by my post.

MDLP K16.
1Italian (Abruzzo)4.51
2Greek (Macedonia)5.21
3Greek (Greece)5.7
4Greek (Peloponnes)5.99
5Italian (SouthItaly)6.07
6Jew (Ashkenazi)6.32
7Sicilian (Sicily)6.57
8Greek (Athens)6.86
9Jew (Ashkenazim)7.18
10Albanian (Albania)7.27

MDLP K23b

1Sicilian_Siracusa ( )4.93
2Italian_Abruzzo ( )5.5
3Greek_Northwest ( )5.68
4Sicilian_West ( )5.69
5Sicilian_Trapani ( )5.81
6Sicilian_Agrigento ( )5.96
7Kosovar ( )6.48
8Greek_Peloponnesos ( )6.61
9Ashkenazi_Jew ( )6.64
10Greek_Thessaly ( )7.2

Actually, my post was complaining that my MASSIVE Italian component, was not detected by 23andMe.
I have no issues with southern euro ancestry, and in a nutshell I'm strongly plotting Italian or mainland Greek on an autosomal level.
23andMe didn't capture any of my quite strong Roman ancestral component and gave me me "Italian 0.4%."
I generally plot in Abruzzo or mainland Greece on accurate calculators like MDLP K16.
Not sure you were reading my post as I intended.
I'm a new poster so perhaps it's reasonable to infer that I have some issues with Southern Euros.
I did however mention in the introductions forums that I have disdain for the northern vs southern Euro flame wars on many childish forums.
I'm disappointed at 23andMe for FAILING to accurately detect my Italian ancestry.
I do NOT recommend 23andMe and stand strongly by my post.

MDLP K16.
1Italian (Abruzzo)4.51
2Greek (Macedonia)5.21
3Greek (Greece)5.7
4Greek (Peloponnes)5.99
5Italian (SouthItaly)6.07
6Jew (Ashkenazi)6.32
7Sicilian (Sicily)6.57
8Greek (Athens)6.86
9Jew (Ashkenazim)7.18
10Albanian (Albania)7.27

MDLP K23b

1Sicilian_Siracusa ( )4.93
2Italian_Abruzzo ( )5.5
3Greek_Northwest ( )5.68
4Sicilian_West ( )5.69
5Sicilian_Trapani ( )5.81
6Sicilian_Agrigento ( )5.96
7Kosovar ( )6.48
8Greek_Peloponnesos ( )6.61
9Ashkenazi_Jew ( )6.64
10Greek_Thessaly ( )7.2

My apologies for assuming. In my defense, we still get refugees from racist anthrofora, although it has slowed down considerably.

Perhaps it was up thread, but I didn't see the entire 23andme run down. Could you post or re-post it. I ask because I've never seen a half Italian get virtually no Italian in 23andme.

This thread has been viewed 33549 times.

Back