My heritage Free upload

^ Well simple math tells you that a Maltese will not be 30% Spanish (Has Large Western component) and 40% German (North West) like. I would expect a Maltese person to have more Greek/Italian (East med) like mixture, than Western med/Atlantic
There would also be some near eastern admixture and possibly some north African. Buuut there's no way a half English half Dutch person would score thirty percent south euro.

She is English and her dad is a quarter dutch. The Scandinavian, and North/Western European is expected, but she is rather confused about the near 30% Southern European, along with the fact that there is no Ireland/Wales or Scotland, let alone English. Her mother's first husband was Maltese, so unless she is being lied to (her supposed real dad is as I said before, quarter Dutch with all English.)
What other testing companies has she tested with before? And did they give similar results?

Ethnicity: Albanian

My mothers side is from Northwest Albania and Kosova. Both of which predominantly are encompassed by their balkan reference. Where as Most of Albania, all of Macedonia, and south-west Bulgaria seem to fall in the Greek reference. I couldnt explain the Italian honestly.

Here is mine:

18740623_10154336290926076_2553561791062126071_n.jpg

Here is my fathers:

18739000_10154336299106076_4844876253370174681_o.jpg

Here is my ancestry :)

Europe
100.0%

North and West Europe
81.4%

English
36.8%

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh
36.3%

North and West European
8.3%

East Europe
17.5%

East European
17.5%

South Europe
1.1%

Italian
1.1%

Simon Van Giesen
100.0%

What other testing companies has she tested with before? And did they give similar results?

^ Well simple math tells you that a Maltese will not be 30% Spanish (Has Large Western component) and 40% German (North West) like. I would expect a Maltese person to have more Greek/Italian (East med) like mixture, than Western med/Atlantic

Well her dad is ony 1/4 Dutch, so she would essentially be around 1/8 Dutch. Family Tree DNA gave her similar results, although the South East Mediterranean input was nearer to 20%. Still similar enough. I guess she just found it odd that the result would be that high for the South European component considering most English people we see getting tested only receive a minimal amount of that.

Well her dad is ony 1/4 Dutch, so she would essentially be around 1/8 Dutch. Family Tree DNA gave her similar results, although the South East Mediterranean input was nearer to 20%. Still similar enough. I guess she just found it odd that the result would be that high for the South European component considering most English people we see getting tested only receive a minimal amount of that.
So she has no known southern European ancestry?

I see North and West Europe is listed as a major and minor category. Is it similar to the "broadly" category on 23andMe or is it supposed to represent Northern France, Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands?

I see North and West Europe is listed as a major and minor category. Is it similar to the "broadly" category on 23andMe or is it supposed to represent Northern France, Belgium, Germany, and Netherlands?
I think northern France , Belgium etc. Not like 23 and me but I'm not completely sure

Ethnicity: Albanian

My mothers side is from Northwest Albania and Kosova. Both of which predominantly are encompassed by their balkan reference. Where as Most of Albania, all of Macedonia, and south-west Bulgaria seem to fall in the Greek reference. I couldnt explain the Italian honestly.

Here is mine:

View attachment 8757

Here is my fathers:

View attachment 8758
I guess it seems pretty inline, I don't know exactly what they base their balkan group on.

No not really, because the balkan marker is essentially interchangeable with the eastern euro marker. I know a Polish guy who scores extremely high eastern european and Baltic results and he scores 41% balkan on this test and I know a Croatian girl who scores 0 percent balkan and 56 percent eastern euro.

Yes, it was about me, so my results. Pretty high Balkan but as wee see Albanians here had much lower values. I could guess it's modelled on Slavic Balkanites but if Croatian had 0. I don't know who is the reference. Rather not Bulgarian or Romanian population.

I think the best option is to consider Balkan as Central European becauce they lack such category. Maybe modeled on Hungarian, Slovak and Slovenian?
If so my and srdcleva results are correct then.

myheritage.jpg

Yes, it was about me, so my results. Pretty high Balkan but as wee see Albanians here had much lower values. I could guess it's modelled on Slavic Balkanites but if Croatian had 0. I don't know who is the reference. Rather not Bulgarian or Romanian population.

I think the best option is to consider Balkan as Central European becauce they lack such category. Maybe modeled on Hungarian, Slovak and Slovenian?
If so my and srdcleva results are correct then.

myheritage.jpg

It's hard to tell. If you individually click each ethnicity reference group, it shows a wider scope of coverage.

For instance, zooming in on Balkan it seems to only go up to the north and central extent of Albania.

Whereas Greek only goes up to southern And central Albania.

I would assume Greek is more an Aegean reference, as most of northern Albania falls into this Balkan reference.
Considering me and my father plot closer to southern Albanians it makes sense. He got no Balkan. And I only got 16 or so percent.

So she has no known southern European ancestry?

She has no known Southern European ancestry. The only thing she knows is that before she was born her mother was married to a Maltese guy, before the quarter Dutch dad came into the picture (he is supposed to be the real dad). Even her dad was a bit puzzled by the results.

I guess they have to be taken with a grain of salt as at the end of the day she still has 70% Northern European and she looks it too, but still, it is quite puzzling.

This is her K15 Eurogenes results from Gedmatch in contrast to Myheritage:

[h=2]Eurogenes EUtest V2 K15 Oracle results:[/h]Admix Results (sorted):

#PopulationPercent
1North_Sea37.66
2Atlantic25.92
3West_Med12.2
4Baltic9.53
5Eastern_Euro7.23
6East_Med3.23
7South_Asian1.99
8West_Asian1.65
9Siberian0.49
10Amerindian0.1

Single Population Sharing:

#Population (source)Distance
1Southwest_English4.32
2Southeast_English5.47
3Orcadian6.25
4North_Dutch6.45
5West_German6.46
6West_Scottish7.01
7Irish7.06
8Danish7.14
9South_Dutch7.66
10Norwegian8.08
11West_Norwegian8.45
12North_German8.7
13Swedish9.7
14French9.96
15North_Swedish12.72
16East_German14.07
17Spanish_Galicia16.98
18Spanish_Cataluna17.4
19Southwest_Finnish17.92
20Hungarian18.09

Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

# Primary Population (source)Secondary Population (source)Distance
1 71.7%West_Norwegian+28.3%Spanish_Cantabria@3.16
2 68.6%West_Norwegian+31.4%Spanish_Cataluna@3.16
3 69.8%West_Norwegian+30.2%Portuguese@3.27
4 74%West_Norwegian+26%Spanish_Aragon@3.29
5 68.1%West_Norwegian+31.9%Spanish_Galicia@3.29
6 71.7%West_Norwegian+28.3%Spanish_Murcia@3.35
7 85.3%West_Norwegian+14.7%Sardinian@3.36
8 70.5%West_Norwegian+29.5%Spanish_Castilla_Y_Leon@3.4
9 73.7%West_Norwegian+26.3%Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha@3.41
10 71.8%West_Norwegian+28.2%Spanish_Extremadura@3.44
11 73.5%West_Norwegian+26.5%Spanish_Valencia@3.44
12 89.6%Orcadian+10.4%Sardinian@3.46
13 75.2%West_Norwegian+24.8%Spanish_Andalucia@3.47
14 54.9%West_Norwegian+45.1%French@3.67
15 73.1%West_Norwegian+26.9%Southwest_French@3.72
16 71.1%Southwest_English+28.9%West_German@3.75
17 77%Orcadian+23%Spanish_Galicia@3.82
18 80%Southwest_English+20%West_Norwegian@3.89
19 51.3%Orcadian+48.7%West_German@3.93
20 80.3%Southwest_English+19.7%Norwegian@3.96

I can upload links now, so I will include the proper page:

FSlS6CW.jpg

She has no known Southern European ancestry. The only thing she knows is that before she was born her mother was married to a Maltese guy, before the quarter Dutch dad came into the picture (he is supposed to be the real dad). Even her dad was a bit puzzled by the results.

I guess they have to be taken with a grain of salt as at the end of the day she still has 70% Northern European and she looks it too, but still, it is quite puzzling.
Really interesting. She hasn't had her parents tested? I mean I can take my supposed 33 % balkan with a grain of salt when I see mlukas with 41% as a pole. However 30% med on multiple tests I wouldn't really take with a grain of salt. What populations does she cluster with on her eurogenes k13 and 15 tests? I mean Maltese have some northwestern euro ancestry from the normans and the R1b type legacy their.

It depends on the reference they use, I would expect Roman ancestry in the South West of England. But no, it would be impossible for her dad to have been the ex BF, unless he was part NW Euro himself. .

My results:

East European ------------- 72.8%
Balkan ---------------------- 3.4%
North and West Europe --- 23.8%

http://i.imgur.com/laMggf1.png

laMggf1.png
Interesting that you come out with no balkan. Slovaks were the last Slavic wave out of the Ukraine most likely, and why y DNA in Slovakia is a mixture of west and east Slavic R1a types. Also many poles are the descendant of Policized west ukrainians who immagrated to Poland. Maybe mlukas also has some background like this. This is just a theory but we know west ukrainians have a significant amount of I2 ancestry in common with balkan populations. Maybe your Ancestry is more from non mixed original west Slavic tribes and why you dont show up with this balkan component and me and mlukas do. Idk I'm just speculating.

It depends on the reference they use, I would expect Roman ancestry in the South West of England. But no, it would be impossible for her dad to have been the ex BF, unless he was part NW Euro himself. .
Yea the father would have had to have northwestern euro as well, but still I don't think the vast majority of northern Europeans will show up with 30 % med and not know about that in their background already.

what were the approximate wait times for everyones processing? I uploaded my raw data yesterday, I'm excited to see how it differs from my Ancestry results (like 55% italy/greece + 35 east europe) with more categories for Southern Europe! Also very curious to see what I get for Balkan

This thread has been viewed 57417 times.

Back