My friend is a mystery

This reminds me of a client I had in Atlanta years ago. We were at a company function and he stared and stared. I mean, Italians stare, so I have a high tolerance for it, but this was downright rude. I just up and asked him why he was staring. He told me he'd never known a white person who looked like me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Then I introduced my husband and he was stunned into silence for a while.:grin: After being treated to a full on court press of charm and business acumen he offered him a job. I told my husband if he took it I'd divorce him. There was no freaking way I was going to live in Georgia. Are you kidding me? Besides everything else, I would have had to copy my cousin, who married a guy who had to do his medical residency in Nebraska! Instead of flying she would drive a big station wagon back and forth and fill it up with olive oil, canned Marzano tomatoes, you name it. No thank you. It smelled like an Italian deli in there. :LOL:

As to the tanning thing, I do believe that a lot of southern Europeans have the mutation(s) that allows you to tan even if your normal skin color is a pale olive.

Raoul Bova
testimone_raoul_bova_db2b.jpg

19.jpg

Daniele Pecci:
5jpgr.jpg

c6778a358f4109d1a7a77678cebf918f.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get that gene.

Georgia isn't so bad, I have a lot of peeps in the tree there. Way better than Nebraska!

I married into a Sicilian family from Brooklyn. They crack me up and I know exactly what you mean about the good olive oil and ingredients!

He looks white except where he is permanently tanned, which never fades.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170627-185859.jpg
    Screenshot_20170627-185859.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 14
I didn't guess him because I couldn't make immediate sense of his combination, but he absolutely didn't look West Asian to me.

My best guess would have been British plus some Mexican.

Not to be nit-picky, but most of that selection doesn't have blue eyes, and neither Catherine Zeta Jones nor David Gandy nor Rufus Sewall have "British" features to me.

Wow! Rufus Sewall looks insanely Mediterranean!

Angela, what's your secret? How could you possibly guess I13a_Young's friend as mostly English? I'm not envious, but I feel as if I saw you juggling fiery bowling balls or lift a car....it's an amazing feat to guess him as mostly Northern European and be right. Do you hang around a lot of English people?

How do you do it?

Btw I'm glad they don't make it mandatory to take ethnicity guessing classes in college...
Professor: "Class, your exams have been graded...Mr Jones, 'A'.,.Mr Steins..B+, Mr Fanelli....see me after class..."

This Welsh athlete could be dropped in Napoli tomorrow and nobody would be the wiser.

a85be1458a8640ca394fabf8b716efdc.jpg

Coon wrote a bit about what he called "Mediterranean" resurgence in England. I doubt these types were thrown up only in relatively modern times.

When people inter-marry over and over again, "pure" phenotypes will sometimes appear. The same thing happens in the Apennines in Italy. Even in one family you can get a tall, rather fair person and a somewhat shorter very stereotypical "Mediterranean" person, and yet genetically their proportion of ancient population groups are the same.

@Davef,
I watch a lot of British tv. :)

The Brit I had in mind for the subject of the post was Nathaniel Parker of the Lynley mysteries:
g2qkbmg2b1tscle5g99r.jpg

Last edited:
Cont'd:
Coon's Mediterranean English:
Coon%20Plate%2025.jpg

The first one looks very Italian to me. The third down is Welsh and is of a similar type to the subject of the post. Other than head shape, I don't know how "Mediterranean" he is, in a strict sense, but I think our subject is in the same general category.

Given that the English are about 40-50% "Southern", I don't know why people are always surprised that they sometimes look it.

The same applies to Germany.
Mats Hummel looks far more southern European than my father or I.
47G_Hummels_bvbnachrichtenbild_regular.jpg

For goodness' sakes, look at Adolph Eichmann:
armia09.jpg

Oh, here's another British actor to add to the mix...Ian McShane...
162712_1.1.jpg

Most of the time you guys make mistakes in the guessing process. It's a nice game to play, but at the end of the day, it appears that it is tough to tell Europeans alike, except those with Viking and step descent.

CWFamily.jpg(one branch of subject's tree)
Back row from left to right, #1 and #4 are the dark type. #2 looks like Caligula. #3 is a very English look

Calig.jpg

What about Mr Bean?

Attachments

• smiling-mr-bean-grey.jpg
    smiling-mr-bean-grey.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 5
Interesting outcome - I would have said straight out 100% Balkan.

rdwHF3Y.jpg

He kind of looks like the father from the Wonder Years; Dan Lauria.

Has been told by Native Americans that he looks Native, by Mexicans that he looks Mexican, and by Iranians that he looks Iranian.

I think it's funny when people do that. It's basically them, just trying to endear the person to them. Nevertheless, I'd think he was Italian; not just saying that because I'm Italian though. lol Though I wouldn't rule out British, but it would have not been near my first choice.

This thread has been viewed 14326 times.

Back