Disgruntled Serf
Reaction score
Ethnic group
NW European R1b
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-M253
mtDNA haplogroup
I3
Hi, new; lots of great info here. Like most, I'm somewhat perturbed that 23&moi omitted the subclades from your report and only offer the broad haplogroups. I've fooled around w gedmatch and looked at promethease, but I'm more interested in knowing my specific subgroups. How can this be accomplished?

In my case, specifically about isolating the %2 of Y I-256, to learn whether gggggreat grandpappy used a saxon spear, viking sword, norman great axe or, hell, even a stone club. (possibly all the above). Would knowing the subclades even help w this?

Thanks to all.

Welcome to Eupedia RoninISC. Hopefully someone can help you.

Hi, new; lots of great info here. Like most, I'm somewhat perturbed that 23&moi omitted the subclades from your report and only offer the broad haplogroups. I've fooled around w gedmatch and looked at promethease, but I'm more interested in knowing my specific subgroups. How can this be accomplished?

In my case, specifically about isolating the %2 of Y I-256, to learn whether gggggreat grandpappy used a saxon spear, viking sword, norman great axe or, hell, even a stone club. (possibly all the above). Would knowing the subclades even help w this?

Thanks to all.

In my experience the best company for y-chromosome information is FTDNA. However, because it's a relatively new science it might be many years before certain subclades can be possibly associated with certain historical groups. Honestly, it will be impossible to know 100% for sure your ancestor's ethnicity because of travel and mixing unless you create a time machine lol.

Thanks to all.

23andME only gave you I-253 and nothing below that? That seems ridiculous. Unless you are a rare branch (not I1a1, I1a2, I1a3 per ISOGG) then you can get more from the 23andMe data.

Check out this thread: http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34080-How-to-determine-basic-Y-DNA-haplo-from-Ancestry-com-data

nyope, thats the way its done now, they only give you geographic regions. Think they changed it recently.
[FONT=&quot]British & Irish62.1%
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]French & German18.0%
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Scandinavian1.8%
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finnish0.6%
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Broadly Northwestern European14.1%
[/FONT]

You used 23me or another test?

Ill try that link thanks.

unless I am actually some rare branch or no branch:

"Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. Not all individuals belong to a subgroup of the assigned haplogroup. Haplogroups are assigned based on the presence of defining mutations. If the defining mutation for a subgroup is not present in an individual’s DNA, he or she will not be assigned to a subgroup. There may be additional defining mutations, but with our current data, a more detailed assignment is not justified."

nyope, thats the way its done now, they only give you geographic regions. Think they changed it recently.
British & Irish62.1%

French & German18.0%

Scandinavian1.8%

Finnish0.6%

Broadly Northwestern European14.1%

You used 23me or another test?

Ill try that link thanks.

I used the new Ancestry test which is the same as the new 23andMe test, except 23andMe adds additional data for mtDNA. The Ancestry data is insufficient to determine mtDNA groups.

I actually had to reformat the Ancestry data to exactly match the 23andMe data format and run it with the YSNP program specifically made to identify positive YSNPs from 23andMe data. It should be even easier for you! Just download that YSNP program and copy/past the results into the Morley calculator.

Did the morley online snp predictor: "63 Y-DNA position(s) lacking mutations recognised by the genetic genealogy community. These Y-DNA positions may not be very useful." Is that typical? There also looks like 200 positive snp's not accounted for in the estimations.
ISOGG: I1-L64 (I1-L75, I1-L80) Experimental: I1-L759 (I1-CTS10140, I1-CTS10338)
The big Y costs big money. If we are just our own thing (which wouldn't surprise me) it may be of limited value anyway, not sure.
I suppose at this point I should move this to the I1 forum. Thanks for the tips!

Did the morley online snp predictor: "63 Y-DNA position(s) lacking mutations recognised by the genetic genealogy community. These Y-DNA positions may not be very useful." Is that typical? There also looks like 200 positive snp's not accounted for in the estimations.
ISOGG: I1-L64 (I1-L75, I1-L80) Experimental: I1-L759 (I1-CTS10140, I1-CTS10338)
The big Y costs big money. If we are just our own thing (which wouldn't surprise me) it may be of limited value anyway, not sure.
I suppose at this point I should move this to the I1 forum. Thanks for the tips!

morleyZ63.jpg

Here's a pic of what I get from Ancestry. Do you get a bunch of red blocks? Does the raw data have "0" in places that are critical branches?

There are no literal zero's but plenty of "--" in genotype column; unsure which are critical branches. I did the 23andme within a month. I do have red blocks as you can see.

Your data has:
63 Y-DNA position(s) lacking mutations recognised by the genetic genealogy community. These Y-DNA positions may not be very useful.
186 recognised mutation(s) with positive calls.
737 recognised mutation(s) with negative calls.
1029 recognised mutation(s) with no-calls.

This site or my browser is not cooperating at all w pictures or posting links, but here is a link to my morely results, just paste:
drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxjmq2pSjvixTnRrRXhaUUFpOFE

Thanks for the help.

and I can guess, but what do the colors mean? There's no explanation.

There are no literal zero's but plenty of "--" in genotype column; unsure which are critical branches. I did the 23andme within a month. I do have red blocks as you can see.

Your data has:
63 Y-DNA position(s) lacking mutations recognised by the genetic genealogy community. These Y-DNA positions may not be very useful.
186 recognised mutation(s) with positive calls.
737 recognised mutation(s) with negative calls.
1029 recognised mutation(s) with no-calls.

This site or my browser is not cooperating at all w pictures or posting links, but here is a link to my morely results, just paste:
drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxjmq2pSjvixTnRrRXhaUUFpOFE

Thanks for the help.

You used the "ISOGG Tree" when you ran it. Can you try "Experimental Tree"? On the image, it doesn't show positive or negative SNPs for any of the I1a branches. It does show you as positively I1 and not I2.

The green boxes are positive matches, the red boxes are negatives. If they are not red or green, they don't have a value in your raw data for the SNP.

I ran both at the time and not much difference. Here is Experimental. That's what I assumed about colors, but it suggests L64 most likely despite it being red.
drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxjmq2pSjvixTndFcThvazMwcFE

I suppose 23andme just sucks for I1 and they dont test our subclade markers.

This thread has been viewed 7933 times.

Back