To what extent did south-west England contribute to the settlement of America?

connordayman

Reaction score
Ethnic group
British Isles/French/Dutch
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1B-L21
mtDNA haplogroup
X
Just curious about this. I am interested in the history of colonial British settlement in the United States, and from where and to where they settled. I know the English specifically probably came from all over the country to America but I am curious of the influence of southwest England speicifically (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, etc) on the settlement of America.

Just curious about this. I am interested in the history of colonial British settlement in the United States, and from where and to where they settled. I know the English specifically probably came from all over the country to America but I am curious of the influence of southwest England speicifically (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, etc) on the settlement of America.

I don't remember a lot of the particulars, but there's a book called "Albion's Seed" which goes into great depth about all of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion's_Seed

People like Newfoundlanders have a rather obvious western connection via their accents, the dialectical terms they use, etc. In fact, some of the old "original" Newfoundland dialects [the one you may still find the old timers using or among the people from the smaller towns] have been compared to southwestern English accents/regions a number of times.

Other than that who exactly knows. Angela's link mentions Puritans. The problem with religious ideals is unless they moved en mass from a singular town in England they likely came from all over the generic southern English regions. I believe the Puritans also found some favor in Wales so possibly from Wales too.

I'll second Fisher's "Albion's Seed" and add Woodard's "American Nations" for more information on that. From memory, the Southwest colonized mostly Virginia and the Southeast USA and to a much lesser extent New England (which was more of an Eastern thing). Cornwall in particular though didn't send many people until the 19th century. I think Fisher also mentions something about regional dialects in Virginia preserving dialectal characteristics of Devon and Cornwall that have been lost in their homeland.

There was a recent genetic study on this sort of thing that you might be interested in:

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14238/

This thread has been viewed 2904 times.

Back