Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Living DNA Raw Data - Now Available

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-03-17
    Posts
    24


    Country: UK - England



    Living DNA Raw Data - Now Available

    Living DNA Raw Data files are now available to download from their site.

    I downloaded mine earlier and must admit to being somewhat disappointed with it.

    The Y-SNP data appears to only show the SNP's I tested positive for and doesn't list the other SNP's they tested. This renders the data useless for aiding further targeted testing elsewhere (e.g. YSEQ).

    My mtDNA data consisted of 9 markers drawn from the HVR2 and Coding Region, and the autosomal data comes in a vcf.txt format and isn't uploadable to either GEDmatch or My Heritage.

    Overall, I'm pretty unimpressed.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Promenade's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-16
    Posts
    288

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U106 R-L1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

    Country: USA - New York



    Thanks for letting everyone know. I was excited to see that it was finally available, but you're right I'm fairly unimpressed as well. For people who have only used LivingDNA, not having the option to use GEDmatch will be a huge disappointment.

  3. #3
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    I have discussed this with Living DNA and they assured me that they are working on making the raw data compatible with GEDMatch and other websites that analyse health risks. I suppose it is just a beta version for the time being.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  4. #4
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    I have checked the raw data and there may be a way to make it compatible with GEDMatch by reformatting it to look like a 23andMe file. What I did is open a text editor and delete all these (use search and replace):

    . . VC=SNV GT 0/0
    . . VC=SNV GT 0/1
    . . VC=SNV GT 1/0
    . . VC=SNV GT 1/1

    After that, you can remove the spaces between the alleles like that (for each combination)

    search for 'G A' replace by 'GA'

    This is easy enough. The problem is that 23andMe uses the following order:

    rsid chromosome position genotype

    While Living DNA uses that order:

    chromosome position rsid genotype

    So if we could find a way to move the rsid from third to first position that would make the file identical to the 23andMe layout. I will ask them if they can do it. If not, does anybody here have programming skills to create a file converter to move the position of the rsid? The command would be something like "cut rs* + tab" then "paste at the beginning of same line". It sounds easy enough, but unfortunately I don't have the programming skills to do it.


    Dienekes used this script to standardise 23andMe and FTDNA genomes:

    Code:
    standardize <- function(genotypefile, company='23andMe')
    {
       if (company=='23andMe') {
          X<-read.table(genotypefile)
       }
       if (company=='ftdna') {
          X<-read.table(genotypefile, sep=',',skip=1)
       }
       write.table(X[order(X[,1]),],file='genotype.txt',quote=F,row.names=F,col.names=F)
    }
    This only removes the file headers, but it could be a variant of that using the same script in R.

  5. #5
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Actually it's not going to work like that. The allele mentioned are just the two possibilities. The actual results are the 0/1 at the end of the line. So this file format is not going to be usable at all.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-03-17
    Posts
    24


    Country: UK - England



    It looks like GEDmatch will accept vcf files after all, via their new Genesis beta. I've just been able to upload my raw data there without problem.

    Whilst there are no admixture tools available on Genesis as yet, I'm hopeful that they will be added in due course.

  7. #7
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
    It looks like GEDmatch will accept vcf files after all, via their new Genesis beta. I've just been able to upload my raw data there without problem.

    Whilst there are no admixture tools available on Genesis as yet, I'm hopeful that they will be added in due course.
    Good to know. But there are many other websites (e.g. DNA.Land) and programmes (like R to run Dodecad/Eurogenes admixtures manually) which do not seem to accept that format.

    EDIT: I tried to upload the file through GEDMatch Genesis. It worked, but the file isn't usable in the regular GEDMatch. The site says that the two databases will eventually be merged (could be in months or years though) and in the meantime there is almost nothing of any use in Genesis. No admixture for example.
    Last edited by Maciamo; 12-06-17 at 20:27.

  8. #8
    Regular Member srdceleva's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    411

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

    Ethnic group
    75% Slovak, 25℅ American mix
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Promenade View Post
    Thanks for letting everyone know. I was excited to see that it was finally available, but you're right I'm fairly unimpressed as well. For people who have only used LivingDNA, not having the option to use GEDmatch will be a huge disappointment.
    How long did it take you to get your results after the lab accepted your kit for testing? I was notified Last week that my kit is not in testing phase and my predicted completion time is in September....did it really take that long after the lab started for testing? Just to get to this point its already been over a month after I sent my kit back...

    Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Regular Member Promenade's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-16
    Posts
    288

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U106 R-L1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by srdceleva View Post
    How long did it take you to get your results after the lab accepted your kit for testing? I was notified Last week that my kit is not in testing phase and my predicted completion time is in September....did it really take that long after the lab started for testing? Just to get to this point its already been over a month after I sent my kit back...

    Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk
    It took them 12 days for the lab to receive it, another 18 days for the lab to start testing on it and then a little over a month and a half for results

  10. #10
    Regular Member I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    535

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Arkansas



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Actually it's not going to work like that. The allele mentioned are just the two possibilities. The actual results are the 0/1 at the end of the line. So this file format is not going to be usable at all.
    Do the 0/1 correspond to A/T directly or are the binary results reflecting SNP positive/negative?

  11. #11
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by I1a3_Young View Post
    Do the 0/1 correspond to A/T directly or are the binary results reflecting SNP positive/negative?
    Each line mentions the ancestral and derived allele. The 0/1 shows the number of copies for the derived allele (1/1 means one inherited from each parent). So it's not impossible to convert the file. A bit tricky though. That would necessitate to create a script that read the ancestral and derived allele, then replaces the 0 and 1 accordingly for each SNP.

  12. #12
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by srdceleva View Post
    How long did it take you to get your results after the lab accepted your kit for testing? I was notified Last week that my kit is not in testing phase and my predicted completion time is in September....did it really take that long after the lab started for testing? Just to get to this point its already been over a month after I sent my kit back...
    From what I hear the process is getting faster. It used to be 4 months, then 2 and a half, and now the latest kits have a predicted completion time of only about a month.

  13. #13
    Regular Member srdceleva's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    411

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

    Ethnic group
    75% Slovak, 25℅ American mix
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    From what I hear the process is getting faster. It used to be 4 months, then 2 and a half, and now the latest kits have a predicted completion time of only about a month.
    Great thanks for the info, hopefully I'll get to post the results soon.

  14. #14
    Regular Member I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    535

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Arkansas



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Each line mentions the ancestral and derived allele. The 0/1 shows the number of copies for the derived allele (1/1 means one inherited from each parent). So it's not impossible to convert the file. A bit tricky though. That would necessitate to create a script that read the ancestral and derived allele, then replaces the 0 and 1 accordingly for each SNP.
    Vlookup() in Microsoft Excel could probably do that, as well as putting the columns in the correct order. I don't know how to automate it though.

  15. #15
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    I just found this site and that one which have scripts to convert VCF files to/from 23andMe format. It could be the solution. It looks a bit technical though.

    There is also this site that instantly converts a (Big Y) VCF into FTDNA CSV format. I tried it and it does convert the 0/1 correctly into nucleobases, but the rsid and chromosome numbers are lost in the process. Only the position remains.

  16. #16
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    I contacted Living DNA about this and they will release the raw data in 23andMe compatible format on 10th July.

  17. #17
    Regular Member srdceleva's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    411

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

    Ethnic group
    75% Slovak, 25℅ American mix
    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I contacted Living DNA about this and they will release the raw data in 23andMe compatible format on 10th July.
    Fantastic, im amazed how responsive living DNA is to feedback.

    Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,148

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I contacted Living DNA about this and they will release the raw data in 23andMe compatible format on 10th July.
    Did the raw data option come out? Anyone on Livingdna have anyfeedback?

  19. #19
    Regular Member Dibran's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-09-16
    Posts
    870

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

    Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I contacted Living DNA about this and they will release the raw data in 23andMe compatible format on 10th July.

    Mine still shows as 1kb vsc. Is there a time table when this will go live? for everyone? or is it gradual?

  20. #20
    Regular Member Twilight's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-06-12
    Location
    Clinton, Washington
    Age
    26
    Posts
    898

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

    Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh
    Country: USA - Washington



    Quote Originally Posted by ajc347 View Post
    Living DNA Raw Data files are now available to download from their site.

    I downloaded mine earlier and must admit to being somewhat disappointed with it.

    The Y-SNP data appears to only show the SNP's I tested positive for and doesn't list the other SNP's they tested. This renders the data useless for aiding further targeted testing elsewhere (e.g. YSEQ).

    My mtDNA data consisted of 9 markers drawn from the HVR2 and Coding Region, and the autosomal data comes in a vcf.txt format and isn't uploadable to either GEDmatch or My Heritage.

    Overall, I'm pretty unimpressed.
    I'm pretty sure LivingDNA is young enough to accept feedback easily. For DNA components outside of the British Isles, LivingDNA is still at the Beta stage. ;) My LivingDNA results are not expected to be accessible to me until September 12th so I can't access my Raw Data yet, however I'll take a look at it when the time arises.

  21. #21
    Regular Member I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    535

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Arkansas



    GEDmatch now has something called Gedmatch Genesis will will accept LivingDNA files.

    As for negative SNPs - you can pull that from the raw data if you are good with data manipulation. I will probably convert mine to 23andMe format and use a YSNP generator. They can be individually tested at the ISOGG Y-browser if you are interested in specific positions, it won't take that long if you only need to check a few branches.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,148

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    I'm thinking to buy the test in the next couple of days, and if livingdna isnt going to be putting out a 23andme compatible rawdna soon then its a deal breaker, maciamo said 10th july but from users response here it seems they haven't done that yet : ( also I have a feeling their reliability is not as good with shipping etc

  23. #23
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,148

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    After contacting livingdna ceo, he assured me that as of yesterday people are able to download a 23 and me compatible file. Anybody who has taken the test can confirm this?

  24. #24
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,259


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    I confirm that the Living DNA raw data is now 23andMe compatible. It works on the regular GEDmatch (not just Genesis).

  25. #25
    Regular Member Johane Derite's Avatar
    Join Date
    21-06-17
    Posts
    1,148

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I confirm that the Living DNA raw data is now 23andMe compatible. It works on the regular GEDmatch (not just Genesis).
    Awesome! Thanks for this Mac
    Last edited by Johane Derite; 19-07-17 at 17:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •