Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Y resolution worth it?

  1. #1
    Disgruntled Serf Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered

    Join Date
    25-05-17
    Posts
    13
    Points
    202
    Level
    2
    Points: 202, Level: 2
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-M253
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I3

    Ethnic group
    NW European R1b
    Country: USA - New Mexico



    Y resolution worth it?

    Took the 23andme and realized too late I should have gone livingDNA. My 23andme data even with morley test seems to be subclade unsure, given 63 Y-DNA positions lacking recognized mutations and about 200 positive snp's not accounted for. (is that par for 23andme data?)

    My question is: would a higher Y SNP test like LivingDNA (or even bigY) possibly correctly place me in a known group or just further resolve my rareness? Either would be interesting, and I know it couldn't hurt; just want to make an informed decision before I drop the dime.
    Last edited by RoninISC; 15-06-17 at 20:05. Reason: remove additional content

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    525
    Points
    8,469
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,469, Level: 27
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Arkansas



    Quote Originally Posted by RoninISC View Post
    Took the 23andme and realized too late I should have gone livingDNA. My 23andme data even with morley test seems to be subclade unsure, given 63 Y-DNA positions lacking recognized mutations and about 200 positive snp's not accounted for. (is that par for 23andme data?)

    My question is: would a higher Y SNP test like LivingDNA (or even bigY) possibly correctly place me in a known group or just further resolve my rareness? Either would be interesting, and I know it couldn't hurt; just want to make an informed decision before I drop the dime.
    What results do you currently have for a Y-DNA haplogroup? In the raw data are there "zero" values in key places? How old was your 23andMe test?

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Adrian Stevenson's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    16
    Points
    3,909
    Level
    18
    Points: 3,909, Level: 18
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I BY34648.
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2C1-t146!

    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: United Kingdom



    Sadly I would not go with LivingDNA. I already knew my Y results from previous testing, but they only listed me as I M253 with no sub group. I like the company but was disappointed with this aspect of the test.

    I have since splashed out on Big Y and while not cheap, I think it was money well spent.

    Cheers, Ade.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    525
    Points
    8,469
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,469, Level: 27
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Arkansas



    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sadly I would not go with LivingDNA. I already knew my Y results from previous testing, but they only listed me as I M253 with no sub group. I like the company but was disappointed with this aspect of the test.

    I have since splashed out on Big Y and while not cheap, I think it was money well spent.

    Cheers, Ade.
    Can you post a screenshot or something of what the LivingDNA Y results look like? Maybe you can narrow it down a bit more when their raw data download feature becomes available soon.

    Edit: I'm also I1 (M253) so I might be able to help you figure out why you didn't get more specific results. Do your results give you a list of positive and negative SNPs? According to another thread the raw data is available for download now! They will reformat it to 23andMe compatible by July 10.

  5. #5
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,712
    Points
    704,021
    Level
    100
    Points: 704,021, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    The Living DNA test will give you your main I1 clade (e.g. L22, Z60, Z63, Z138, Z140, etc.) and if you are lucky your deep clade (L813, L1237, L1302, etc.). But if you want to know once and for all your deepest clade possible, I would recommend the Full Genome Corporation's Y Elite 2.1 ($795), although it takes time (over 6 months) and is rather costly. It depends what you are looking for. Of course this kind of test will become cheaper in few years' time.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    09-12-11
    Posts
    139
    Points
    5,844
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,844, Level: 22
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    They did not get further than R-U152 on me. In the raw data file, only the positive calls are mentioned; I did not really see a subclade SNP, except a positive call for Z48 (but I couldn't see positive calls for SNPs between U152 and Z48, so it might not say anything). I asked them if they did test subclades like L2, Z56, if they tested me for it, and, because I couldn't find a positive of these subclades in the raw data, if that means I wasn't tested for these subclades or that I was tested negative. They confirmed these subclades are on the list; further information about myself will be addressed later on.

    For the money though, I think it is worth it, certainly if you haven't done a test anywhere else yet, since they give both a Y, mt-dna and quite good autosomal results.

  7. #7
    Disgruntled Serf Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class31 days registered

    Join Date
    25-05-17
    Posts
    13
    Points
    202
    Level
    2
    Points: 202, Level: 2
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-M253
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I3

    Ethnic group
    NW European R1b
    Country: USA - New Mexico



    Despite Living's greater SNP's apparently its only reliable for one sub; I'm sure its hit or miss like 23andme. I wonder if they progressively tune for sub SNP's as they go given a hit on a major, or if its just the same set for everyone. Would cut alot of waste.

    Related question: given the similar resolution of Geno 2.0 to living, is it possible geno 2.0 could isolate you down to something as fine as say, danish viking with reasonable probability? I note danish is a reference population and I suppose the time frame could be inferred from admixture.
    genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations-next-gen/

  8. #8
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,712
    Points
    704,021
    Level
    100
    Points: 704,021, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Sennevini View Post
    They did not get further than R-U152 on me. In the raw data file, only the positive calls are mentioned; I did not really see a subclade SNP, except a positive call for Z48 (but I couldn't see positive calls for SNPs between U152 and Z48, so it might not say anything). I asked them if they did test subclades like L2, Z56, if they tested me for it, and, because I couldn't find a positive of these subclades in the raw data, if that means I wasn't tested for these subclades or that I was tested negative. They confirmed these subclades are on the list; further information about myself will be addressed later on.

    For the money though, I think it is worth it, certainly if you haven't done a test anywhere else yet, since they give both a Y, mt-dna and quite good autosomal results.
    Even though Living DNA does not test very deep clades, I agree that it is a very good deal for money, especially for those who haven't tested before. I am really looking forward to the more detailed autosomal ancestry report in a few months. It should be way beyond anything offered by other companies.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    I1a3_Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-05-17
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    525
    Points
    8,469
    Level
    27
    Points: 8,469, Level: 27
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 Z63*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5b1

    Ethnic group
    Basically British
    Country: USA - Arkansas



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    The Living DNA test will give you your main I1 clade (e.g. L22, Z60, Z63, Z138, Z140, etc.) and if you are lucky your deep clade (L813, L1237, L1302, etc.). But if you want to know once and for all your deepest clade possible, I would recommend the Full Genome Corporation's Y Elite 2.1 ($795), although it takes time (over 6 months) and is rather costly. It depends what you are looking for. Of course this kind of test will become cheaper in few years' time.
    For I1 folks that's exactly as useful as Ancestry.com, with similar autosomal SNP #'s. I guess I'm shelling out for mtDNA hg and another ethnicity estimate, which I admit I will be glad to receive.

    For over 10x the Y SNPS, they must have allocated all the extra positions to other Y hgs. This is surprising because I1 isn't rare in Britain and it would aid in making future sales in Germany and Scandinavia for sure.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •