DNA of Globular Amphora

That certainly makes more sense. It sounded like Genetiker was predicting that the British Neolithic farmers were all blonde, blue-eyed, modern European fair skinned people.

As I pointed out in two threads just yesterday, we already had relatively fair skinned, blue-eyed farmers in early Neolithic Hungary as per Gamba et al. There were some similar farmers in Anatolia. One of the farmers in Neolithic Hungary even was proposed to have blonde hair.

So, British Neolithic farmers might indeed have had people among them who were dark haired, blue eyed, and "relatively" fair skinned. Some might even have had blonde hair, although as I said, I don't know what forensic algorithm he is using, and which snps are included, nor the probability.

what about the central Anatolian samples - Boncuklu and Tepecik Ciftlik - anything known about their pigmentation?

Neolithic farmers having light skin was the norm, I thought that was well-established, if anything these Brits were a little darker than average. Blue eye variant was already at substantial frequency among the Anatolian farmers, these farmers are Middle Neolithic with an extra 30% or so of WHG admixture. Out of 38 British Neolithic samples with hair colour predictions 4 are blond, most are black. Maybe that is more than usual but it doesn't seem like something to flip out about.

PS maybe a difference in what is meant by light skin. I don't think this means light on a European scale but on a global scale.

Well Anatolian farmers looked about like modern day Middle Easterners, so they were depigmented to be sure but nothing like modern North Euros, and for awhile it looked like you didn't see anything resembling modern North Europeans until the LMBA in Europe and across the steppe, aside from maybe one or two EHG samples. The Baltic hunter gatherers certainly showed that people with mostly WHG can be light skinned and light haired, so I guess it's not earth shattering, but I still would not expect to see light skinned, light haired, light eyed, people in Neolithic Britain.

Well nothing says they were like modern North Euros with respect to skin tone. Blue eyes are to be expected. So the only novelty is about 10% have blond hair.

It actually looks like Iron Gates harbors some of the earliest depigmented people. Interesting.

Well nothing says they were like modern North Euros with respect to skin tone. Blue eyes are to be expected. So the only novelty is about 10% have blond hair.

The neolithic Scotland samples are very fair. Check them out.

Are we looking at the same thing? For SLC45A2 the Neolithic Scottish samples have 1/28 homozygous derived, 10/28 heterozygous, 17/28 homozygous ancestral. That's a derived allele frequency of only about 25%, less than most Middle Eastern and North African populations much less modern Europeans.

what about the central Anatolian samples - Boncuklu and Tepecik Ciftlik - anything known about their pigmentation?

Sorry, Bicicleur, I'll see if I can get to this tonight. I want to post the actual data, not go by memory. I just haven't had time today. Maybe in the meantime if anyone has it at their fingertips they'll post it.

I agree we already know EEF had light skin alleles and the potential for blue eyes, but the blonde hair is surprising because so far it has only been seen in those with some kind of EHG ancestry. First you have to ask yourself though if you trust Genetiker when he also claims that there were Andean mummies with blue eyes, blonde hair and European ancestry and that mainstream scientists are trying to hide evidence for the Solutrean hypothesis.

In Kilinc et al: "The Demographic Development of the First Farmers in Anatolia", which presented the Tepecek and Boncuklu samples, I couldn’t find any phenotypic data.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5069350/

I looked in genetiker for Tepecik and Boncuklu, and couldn't find anything but snp calls*. If you're so interested in pigmentation you'd think he'd look at all the Anatolian Neolithic samples as well.

Hofmanova did give some pigmentation information:

"Sequences in and around genes underlying the phenotypes hypothesized to have undergone positive selection in Europeans indicate that the Neolithic Aegeans were unlikely to have been lactase persistent but carried derived SLC24A5 rs1426654 and SLC45A2 rs16891982 alleles associated with reduced skin pigmentation. Because our Aegean samples predate the period when the rs4988235 T-allele associated with lactase persistence in Eurasia reached an appreciable frequency in Europe, around 4 kya (1214), and because this allele remains at relatively low frequencies (<0.15) in modern Greek, Turkish, and Sardinian populations (15), this observation is unsurprising. However, despite their relatively low latitude, four of the Aegean individuals are homozygous for the derived rs1426654 T-allele in the SLC24A5 gene, and four carry at least one copy of the derived rs16891982 G-allele in the SLC45A2 gene. This suggests that these reduced-pigmentation–associated alleles were at appreciable frequency in Neolithic Aegeans and that skin depigmentation was not solely a high-latitude phenomenon (SI Appendix, SI12. Functional Markers). The derived rs12913832 G-allele in the HERC2 domain of the OCA2 gene was heterozygous in one individual (Klei10), but all other Aegeans for whom the allelic state at this locus could be determined were homozygous for the ancestral allele, indicating a lack of iris depigmentation in these individuals.
http://www.pnas.org/content/113/25/6886

From the Supplement:
Rev5, Klei10, Bar8, and Bar 31 were all observed to carry homozygous derived alleles at SLC24A5 rs1426654 (A111T)

"Derived alleles of the SLC45A2 rs16891982 L374F mutation, also associated with skin depigmentation and identified as under selection in modern and ancient Europeans [157, 159], were observed in the Klei10, Pal7, Bar31, and Bar8 individuals"

These people were fair skinned if modern European pigmentation is any guide.

"The Klei10 individual appears to have been heterozygous for the derived allele at HERC2 rs12913832, a mutation associated with iris depigmentation and having evidence for differential selection at different points in prehistory [130, 159].Qualified support for the presence of a derived allele in the Klei10 individual comes from the observation of a derived allele at rs1129038 which is almost completely linked with the causal rs12913832 SNP in modern populations [162]. However, conclusive haplotype determinations for the 13-SNP OCA2-HERC2 profile found in almost all modern blue-eyed individuals could not be made for the ancient Aegean individuals [163] (see Table S31)"
http://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/suppl/2016/06/02/1523951113.DCSupplemental/pnas.1523951113.sapp.pdf

Ed.*Genetiker did snp calls only for y Dna for these samples. Makes no sense not to look at pigmentation for Near Eastern farmer samples if you're going to do it for European ones.

Last edited:
Are we looking at the same thing? For SLC45A2 the Neolithic Scottish samples have 1/28 homozygous derived, 10/28 heterozygous, 17/28 homozygous ancestral. That's a derived allele frequency of only about 25%, less than most Middle Eastern and North African populations much less modern Europeans.

I was looking at samples I3136 and I3041, and of course my initial surprise was based on Genetiker's description matrix, which is open to interpretation.

I3041

OCA2/HERC2 4/4 derived

SLC45A2 1/4 derived

MC1R 1/8 derived

I3136

OCA2/HERC2 3/3 derived

SLC45A2 17/31 derived

Nothing too crazy I guess and I don't know why he says they were blond, but they are comparable to some Bell Beaker samples that are also being called Light skin, Blond hair, Blue eyes, which surprised me.

Thank you for your expansions on Globular Amphora taking our clues from a time in place adds elements of components that introduced me to new perspectives.
Sometimes it's easy to be overwhelmed. Stating out each morning trying to decide where my notions might fit no matter how much more research need to be done.
All that being said i appreciate having so many people willing to share and help discern what's important.

I don't find Neolithic Scotland people were so fair in GENETIKER concerning hair: 3,4% blonds, 3,4% light brown on 29 if I don't mistake - the same for eyes (only around 12%)

This thread has been viewed 18564 times.

Back