Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creationism - the anti-science.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 6.0%

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    This is a great example of you being complete ignorant, and yet in your mind so educated.
    Rather you are talking about yourself.

Copernik was not only astronomer but also quite accomplished economist. He wrote books on economy, which were printed and read during his lifetime. However, the book on heliocentrism, though finished way before his death and shown to few trusted people, was published only after his death, according to Copernicus wish.
    Nope. It was presented even to the pope, and parts were published when he was alive.
    He was writing and correcting his book whole life, and he was the one who start the
    publishing - he simply did not manage to do on time the publishing of whole book,
    and this is why it was printed finaly in the same year when he died.

And the book was later published again couple of times.
    And many others scientific books were written, published and disscuss in Middle Ages.
    The point is, that you either have some mythical view about the Christianity, either
    you calumniate Christianity on purpose. Both are not witnessing about you good.

Now, be a good scientific cultist, and belive in 20k years old dinosaurs.
    Last edited by Rethel; 19-07-17 at 01:06.

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Bergin View Post
    Rethel,
    Bacteria in hospitals evolve very fast.
    And still is a... bacteria!
    Thousands of generations, and did not
    evole into something else, wonderfully
    proving, that macroevolution isnt real.

We need new antibiotics quickly to be able to contrast the rate of their adaptation.
    Can she evolved to be fire resistant?

So how do you propose to solve it?
    As above.
    Last edited by Rethel; 19-07-17 at 01:07.

Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12

Quote Originally Posted by Rethel View Post
    Actually you are right, becasue beliving God has everything to do with it!
    If someone does not belive him, his beliving in him is worthless.
    Rethel,
    sorry I might believe in God, but maybe I prefer to believe Lilith.
    Just joking, but please don't be so quick at throwing a judgement about what is/is not worth it.

Btw, I have a question to the moderators regarding the rules of the forum:
    Is blasphemy allowed or not?

3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 275

Ethnic group
    Greek

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    I kinda like Rethel. Not necessarily because I agree with her/him, but because in this forum she/he fights the "system" and does not give a sh1t at all, hehe.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Rethel,
    sorry I might believe in God, but maybe I prefer to believe Lilith.
    Just joking, but please don't be so quick at throwing a judgement about what is/is not worth it.

Btw, I have a question to the moderators regarding the rules of the forum:
    Is blasphemy allowed or not?
    Which statements strike you as blasphemous? I have to confess that where certain threads are concerned I don't read them unless I get a complaint or notice in the activity thread either a question or a particularly egregious comment.

What is allowed is pretty broad, as you can see once you've been here a while. What I'd really like is the ability to give infractions or bans for abject stupidity and ignorance, for which I don't have the tolerance you seem to possess, but alas, I don't have it.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Which statements strike you as blasphemous? I have to confess that where certain threads are concerned I don't read them unless I get a complaint or notice in the activity thread either a question or a particularly egregious comment.

What is allowed is pretty broad, as you can see once you've been here a while. What I'd really like is the ability to give infractions or bans for abject stupidity and ignorance, for which I don't have the tolerance you seem to possess, but alas, I don't have it.
    No statement stroke me as blasphemous,... yet.

Thomas Aikenhead was the last man sentenced to death (at the age of 20) in Britain for blasphemy. The year was 1697.
    He was a medical student.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111001...aikenhead.html

The charges were that for more than twelve months Aikenhead had blasphemed against God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Scriptures, and all revealed religion. Five student 'friends' appeared as prosecution witnesses. Aikenhead was accused of having said that theology was "a rhapsody of feigned and ill-invented nonsense" and made up of "poetical fictions and extravagant chimeras". It was reported that he had called the Old Testament "Ezra's Fables" and the New Testament "the History of the impostor Christ who learned magic in Egypt and picked up a few ignorant blockish fisher fellows". The 'friends' told the court that Aikenhead rejected the Trinity as "not worth any man's refutation", scoffed at the incarnation as contradictory, professed pantheism, and denied creation.

Blasphemy is still illegal in few countries (including EU ones).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy

Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

Ethnic group
    75% Slovak, 25℅ American mix

Keep in mind that everybody was christian or a religious person in europe back then. Everybody was raised in strong religious convictions. We can say that everybody was strongly indoctrinated from first months of their lives in christianity. They wasted half of their scientific thinking trying to consolidate religious beliefs with science.
    You can deny it all u want, modern science stemmed from very religious people who cited their faith many times as an inspiration for their research and never considered it a hindrance or a contradiction to what they were doing. They were highly educated and enlightened individuals, they weren't just cradle Christians who never considered their faith and indoctrinated robots. Any one who doesn't agree with atheists is indoctrinated and can't think on his own....

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

Ethnic group

Exactly, for last couple of hundreds of years we see how christian beliefs are updated and evolve to accommodate our understanding of science. We no longer can take bible literally. Instead we have to interpret it in the way, in new way, so it is not in conflict with science. Well, but few, who are trying to "bend" and discredit science to have their bible in literary sense.
    Many books and stories in the Bible were never taken literally, St Augustine wrote about this in the 4th century only American protestantism claims the Bible should be interpreted as 100 percent literal in every scripture.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

Ethnic group

Which statements strike you as blasphemous?
    I think he just meant it as a general question

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

Ethnic group

Have you ever wondered, if All Mighty God can create a rock so big that even he can't lift?
    very popular riddle used by communists in Czechoslovakia.

I have a question. If everything is all an accident and none of existence has any original meaning. Why does life, which comes from matter, strive so hard to keep living and not want to go back to being lifeless matter? where does this will come from?

1 year registered10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Overall activity: 40.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

Have you ever wondered, if All Mighty God can create a rock so big that even he can't lift?
    Even when I was more atheist I really disliked this question. It's too loaded and presupposes way too many things about the concept of "God" and what it means to be powerful or omnipotent.
    A truly omnipotent God would not concern himself or his will with petty things like that for even a millisecond (he would consider it an abuse or misuse of his power). Also a god who doesn't contain his own limits within himself would be a groundless, immediate, perpetually self-feeling subject and therefore insufficiently concrete and real with respect to what the concept of "God" should require.

Quote Originally Posted by srdceleva View Post
    I have a question. If everything is all an accident and none of existence has any original meaning. Why does life, which comes from matter, strive so hard to keep living and not want to go back to being lifeless matter? where does this will come from?
    This is also a bit too easy to counter from the perspective of the Atheist corner. If there was life that came from matter that did not strive then the process of evolution obviously would have had plenty of time to negate it out of existence much easier than life that strived. Also, Freud actually argued convincingly that in humans the will to return to lifeless matter exists (Death Drive) and is responsible for man's self destructive behaviour.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by Johane Derite View Post
    This is also a bit too easy to counter from the perspective of the Atheist corner. If there was life that came from matter that did not strive then the process of evolution obviously would have had plenty of time to negate it out of existence much easier than life that strived. Also, Freud actually argued convincingly that in humans the will to return to lifeless matter exists (Death Drive) and is responsible for man's self destructive behaviour.
    The very beginning of life had to be based on a drive to reproduce and the most basic forms of life are only concerned with living. I'm not speaking about human psychology which can long to die as an escape from suffering. Where does this will come from at all. Why is life concerned with living at all when everything is all an accident and there is no point?

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The very beginning of life had to be based on a drive to reproduce and the most basic forms of life are only concerned with living. Why is life concerned with living at all when everything is all an accident and there is no point?
    Any primitive life form, no matter how basic, that did not have the drive to reproduce and ensure its genes survival, would have been negated very easily out of existence.

I'm sure there existed "melancholic" basic life forms that had no will to exist or reproduce, and just out of luck even managed to survive a couple of generations. But without the drive to survive/reproduce were very quickly annihilated. Autopoietic self-correction.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

No statement stroke me as blasphemous,... yet.

Thomas Aikenhead was the last man sentenced to death (at the age of 20) in Britain for blasphemy. The year was 1697.
    He was a medical student.

The charges were that for more than twelve months Aikenhead had blasphemed against God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Scriptures, and all revealed religion. Five student 'friends' appeared as prosecution witnesses. Aikenhead was accused of having said that theology was "a rhapsody of feigned and ill-invented nonsense" and made up of "poetical fictions and extravagant chimeras". It was reported that he had called the Old Testament "Ezra's Fables" and the New Testament "the History of the impostor Christ who learned magic in Egypt and picked up a few ignorant blockish fisher fellows". The 'friends' told the court that Aikenhead rejected the Trinity as "not worth any man's refutation", scoffed at the incarnation as contradictory, professed pantheism, and denied creation.

Blasphemy is still illegal in few countries (including EU ones).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy

The authorities in power in various religious denominations claim that anything they don't believe in is blasphemy. So, the Catholic Church denounced Luther as a heretic. He promptly turned around and denounced other preachers as heretics and what they preached as blasphemous. The same thing happened with the Puritans in England, who went to the Netherlands and then the New World because they were being condemned and persecuted as heretics for their beliefs. Once they were established in the Massachusetts Bay Colony they exiled anyone who had contrary ideas, like Anne Hutchinson, who was pregnant with her umpteenth child at the time. She had to walk through the snow to Rhode Island Colony. The Catholics in their turn were persecuted in England, and had to come to Maryland for religious liberty. And so it goes....

As for the attitude of Roman Catholic authorities toward certain discoveries in science, it depends on the time, the Pope in power, the local church authorities etc. Galileo was certainly censured and in deep trouble. He recanted in order to get away from the grip of the Inquisition. It may be apocryphal, but he is said to have muttered as he left the room, "And still it moves". :)

Others met no or mild opposition, and some discoveries, although condemned originally, were later accommodated. One size doesn't fit all.

I absolutely don't think that belief in God or the dogmas of certain religions at all means that the person who holds such beliefs is stupid or illogical. I've met too many brilliant people who are believers. A lot of it has to do with personality type, some of it has to do with the type of religious instruction they received. Many supposed Catholics, for example, never received any rigorous theological training whatsoever, and so they were woefully unprepared for debate about these matters. Then, some people break with their faith as the result of life experiences. Again, I really can't generalize.

Sometimes, with some people, all these attempts to keep people away from "blasphemous" works has the opposite effect. I didn't know what the "Index" of forbidden works was until I was about 15. As soon as I heard about it I looked up the list and used it to attempt to read every single book on it. :) They shouldn't have bothered; my quarrel with the Church has nothing to do with theological matters.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12

The authorities in power in various religious denominations claim that anything they don't believe in is blasphemy. So, the Catholic Church denounced Luther as a heretic. He promptly turned around and denounced other preachers as heretics and what they preached as blasphemous. The same thing happened with the Puritans in England, who went to the Netherlands and then the New World because they were being condemned and persecuted as heretics for their beliefs. Once they were established in the Massachusetts Bay Colony they exiled anyone who had contrary ideas, like Anne Hutchinson, who was pregnant with her umpteenth child at the time. She had to walk through the snow to Rhode Island Colony. The Catholics in their turn were persecuted in England, and had to come to Maryland for religious liberty. And so it goes....

As for the attitude of Roman Catholic authorities toward certain discoveries in science, it depends on the time, the Pope in power, the local church authorities etc. Galileo was certainly censured and in deep trouble. He recanted in order to get away from the grip of the Inquisition. It may be apocryphal, but he is said to have muttered as he left the room, "And still it moves". :)

Others met no or mild opposition, and some discoveries, although condemned originally, were later accommodated. One size doesn't fit all.

I absolutely don't think that belief in God or the dogmas of certain religions at all means that the person who holds such beliefs is stupid or illogical. I've met too many brilliant people who are believers. A lot of it has to do with personality type, some of it has to do with the type of religious instruction they received. Many supposed Catholics, for example, never received any rigorous theological training whatsoever, and so they were woefully unprepared for debate about these matters. Then, some people break with their faith as the result of life experiences. Again, I really can't generalize.

Sometimes, with some people, all these attempts to keep people away from "blasphemous" works has the opposite effect. I didn't know what the "Index" of forbidden works was until I was about 15. As soon as I heard about it I looked up the list and used it to attempt to read every single book on it. :) They shouldn't have bothered; my quarrel with the Church has nothing to do with theological matters.
    Loved Umberto Eco's ' The name of the rose' on the topic.

Did you know that blasphemy is still a crime in Italy, Germany, Greece, Poland and Ireland? Penal crime, not just administrative in some.
    I was heavily surprised when I saw it today. At least something useful from this thread.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

very popular riddle used by communists in Czechoslovakia.

Oh it is "striving hard" to be dead. All the ill mutations of DNA kill all life. As for the people, all the parents without kids are the dead end of life. All the kids who die before adulthood are the dead end of life too. Till 20th century 50% of kids died before adulthood. They died and became lifeless matter. Half if not majority of life on earth dies without offspring.
    But when any life fulfils these three "commandments", eat, survive, multiply, the life goes on. God is not needed for this "miracle".

Plus, what Johane Derite said.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

You can deny it all u want, modern science stemmed from very religious people who cited their faith many times as an inspiration for their research and never considered it a hindrance or a contradiction to what they were doing. They were highly educated and enlightened individuals, they weren't just cradle Christians who never considered their faith and indoctrinated robots. Any one who doesn't agree with atheists is indoctrinated and can't think on his own....
    How do you expect scientists to be atheists when everybody believed in god back then, when scientist could have been kicked out of church and university for heresy and couldn't continue science anymore without funds? Go, try to find atheistic scientists in Saudi Arabia!
    Perhaps, you would love to answer a question why today most of scientists are atheists and agnostics, unlike general population with 25% of such people?
    Are scientists more open minded and more intelligent than general public?

And no, today's science and whole enlightening movement, comes from going away from religious dogma and old traditions. Here is how little of current European Culture has to do with christianity.
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...ristian-values
    Last edited by LeBrok; 19-07-17 at 03:53.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

How do you expect scientists to be atheists when everybody believed in god back then, when scientist could have been kicked out of church and university for heresy and couldn't continue science anymore without funds? Go, try to find atheistic scientists in Saudi Arabia!
    Without sufficient evidence it is revisionism to imply they faked religosity so they could continue their careers when it comes to well documented religious scientists. Newton is a good example: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Religiou...f_Isaac_Newton

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

The very beginning of life had to be based on a drive to reproduce and the most basic forms of life are only concerned with living. I'm not speaking about human psychology which can long to die as an escape from suffering. Where does this will come from at all. Why is life concerned with living at all when everything is all an accident and there is no point?
    You can't imply human-centric concepts to all nature. You will get nowhere doing so. Simple bacteria doesn't think, doesn't understand, doesn't feel and yet it lives and has offspring on and on and on for billions of years. It is a biological machine that has a knowledge how to eat, survey and multiply. That's all.
    Pretty soon we will have robots, which will make new robots, which will make new robots, on and on and on. It even doesn't matter, if you call them alive or not, they will prove a concept that "life" or existence of machine can continue just by mechanically making a copy of itself. Pretty much till the end of world. Heck , even today this concept is already proved in computers and internet, where simple programs, viruses and malware can multiply endlessly and spread through internet. They could live "forever", as long as internet and computers exist, their world.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Without sufficient evidence it is revisionism to imply they faked religosity so they could continue their careers when it comes to well documented religious scientists. Newton is a good example: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Religiou...f_Isaac_Newton
    Most didn't, but it is hard to imagine that among thousands of scientists, of these times Europe, all were proper christians. Right? I'm sure if we dig long enough in archives, which I don't have to do right now, or even in wikipedia, we will find interesting horror stories about persecution of these few brave atheists or agnostics in science. Check post 56 for similarity, ending in execution of a student.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12

Johane,
    I mentioned earlier a young medical student that was hanged in 1697 for blasphemy.

Newton was a contemporary of this kid. So clearly here was quite some pressure and a drive to survive.

And also:
    In June 1661, he was admitted to Trinity College, Cambridge as a sizar—a sort of work-study role.[6] At that time, the college's teachings were based on those of Aristotle, whom Newton supplemented with modern philosophers such as Descartes and astronomers such as Copernicus, Galileo, and Kepler.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U1a1a

Most didn't, but it is hard to imagine that among thousands of scientists, of these times Europe, all were proper christians. Right?
    Of course they weren't.

I just meant that in relation to srdceleva's reference of Pascal, Descartes, Newton, Mendel.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12

Descartes:

Despite frequent moves,[30] he wrote all his major work during his 20+ years in the Netherlands, where he managed to revolutionize mathematics and philosophy.[31] In 1633, Galileo was condemned by the Catholic Church, and Descartes abandoned plans to publish Treatise on the World, his work of the previous four years. Nevertheless, in 1637 he published part of this work in three essays: Les Météores (The Meteors), La Dioptrique (Dioptrics) and La Géométrie (Geometry), preceded by an introduction, his famous Discours de la méthode (Discourse on the Method). In it, Descartes lays out four rules of thought, meant to ensure that our knowledge rests upon a firm foundation.

The first was never to accept anything for true which I did not clearly know to be such; that is to say, carefully to avoid precipitancy and prejudice, and to comprise nothing more in my judgment than what was presented to my mind so clearly and distinctly as to exclude all ground of doubt.

In 1663, the Pope placed his works on the Index of Prohibited Books. In 1666 his remains were taken to France and buried in the Saint-Étienne-du-Mont. In 1671 Louis XIV prohibited all the lectures in Cartesianism.

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

People make mistakes and do stupid things at some points throughout life. After a rough day, my mind is fried and more prone to a "brain freeze"...hopefully you're not going to give me an infraction for a simple flaw in reasoning (assuming you have the power to punish people for saying something stupid). But if someone says something outlandishly lame such as claiming descent from 8 foot tall conquerors who took over half the planet or denying something obvious to an 8 year old, well...that's different.

And if people with low intellectual capacity bother you, how so? That's how they were born, they're that way through no fault of their own. It's your responsibility as an advisor to help them out.

To be fair, I'm not assuming they do bc I don't know what you mean by abject stupidity.
    Last edited by davef; 19-07-17 at 14:54.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-m458(L260)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4b1b1

Ethnic group

You can't imply human-centric concepts to all nature. You will get nowhere doing so. Simple bacteria doesn't think, doesn't understand, doesn't feel and yet it lives and has offspring on and on and on for billions of years. It is a biological machine that has a knowledge how to eat, survey and multiply. That's all.
    Pretty soon we will have robots, which will make new robots, which will make new robots, on and on and on. It even doesn't matter, if you call them alive or not, they will prove a concept that "life" or existence of machine can continue just by mechanically making a copy of itself. Pretty much till the end of world. Heck , even today this concept is already proved in computers and internet, where simple programs, viruses and malware can multiply endlessly and spread through internet. They could live "forever", as long as internet and computers exist, their world.

obviously a tiny cell has no thoughts lol. Im speaking about the inherent drive that is already present in the tiniest life forms. Regardless of genetic defects which make surviving harder it still strives to survive. Children who died before adulthood were still striving to survive, and even if I admit that maybe some life didnt strive to survive it doesnt answer my question as to why life strives at all to survive if there is zero point to anything, and your robot example only proves my point. Even if we create robots who have a will to reproduce and survive its because of our will. This will didnt come from no where.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast