Reconstructed face of Pictish man

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/5737-170714-scotland-pictish-face

"According to a report in The Daily Record, the face of a Pictish man, whose remains were discovered in a cist burial in Highland Perthshire in the 1980s, has been recreated by forensic artist Hayley Fisher and Bob Will of GUARD Archaeology. The man is thought to have lived between A.D. 340 and 615, and to have died in his 40s. Additional study of the skeletal remains could reveal information on his diet and where he lived. The scientists will also try to recover a DNA sample. "

Scotland-Pictish-face.JPG

Do we know any excavated people of the past in Europe who were estimated to be 70-80 or older? Which is average age at death now. It has to be very seldom accurance, because I don't remember even one.

Do we know any excavated people of the past in Europe who were estimated to be 70-80 or older? Which is average age at death now. It has to be very seldom accurance, because I don't remember even one.

I don't either. I think the oldest were about 50, and even that was rare.

I don't either. I think the oldest were about 50, and even that was rare.
I just finished watching a lecture about cemetery of medieval Poland. Buried women were 22 to 35, and men from 35 to 55, plus many children. Anyway, 50 corpses and nobody was older than 55, and this was an elite cemetery, which existed for 3 generations or so. Good old times, ha?!

In the Roman catacombs there are gravestones from the imperial era with people living into their seventies, mostly men since women were likely to have died of childbirth.

I just finished watching a lecture about cemetery of medieval Poland. Buried women were 22 to 35, and men from 35 to 55, plus many children. Anyway, 50 corpses and nobody was older than 55, and this was an elite cemetery, which existed for 3 generations or so. Good old times, ha?!

our/my peasant (ploughmen) ancestors lived as a mean around 50 years too, an that in the 1700/1800's - someones went far enough, but they were exceptions -

In the Roman catacombs there are gravestones from the imperial era with people living into their seventies, mostly men since women were likely to have died of childbirth.
Yes, the same with Egyptian pharaohs. Once you get to the top with much better hygiene, best food, carried around and separated from dirty and sick plebs, you can live much longer.

our/my peasant (ploughmen) ancestors lived as a mean around 50 years too, an that in the 1700/1800's - someones went far enough, but they were exceptions -
50 back then was like 90 today. Of course if someone got through a childhood with 50% chance of dying.

See:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/5737-170714-scotland-pictish-face

"According to a report in The Daily Record, the face of a Pictish man, whose remains were discovered in a cist burial in Highland Perthshire in the 1980s, has been recreated by forensic artist Hayley Fisher and Bob Will of GUARD Archaeology. The man is thought to have lived between A.D. 340 and 615, and to have died in his 40s. Additional study of the skeletal remains could reveal information on his diet and where he lived. The scientists will also try to recover a DNA sample. "

Scotland-Pictish-face.JPG

Good Grief :petrified: I could swear that I´ve seen alike man in Finland not so many years ago. I understood him to be Finnish. All features down to lips match, he was also serious looking with such long hair. I´ll have to stop him, and take a photo if we meet again on the street :LOL:

Good Grief :petrified: I could swear that I´ve seen alike man in Finland not so many years ago. I understood him to be Finnish. All features down to lips match, he was also serious looking with such long hair. I´ll have to stop him, and take a photo if we meet again on the street :LOL:

If the reconstitutionis exact, he goes very close to my 'croma-borreby' subtype, found today as a more or less common minortiy type among all northern Europe pops and Germany, and at a lower level among Brits, for the most on the eastern coasts (supposed "Picts" so today East Grampians, and as some minority among Saxons and more typically among Danes (Yorkshire b.i.); the robust element in the East-Baltic mean-type.
In North it is the opposite to 'nordic' slender type, in the popular and so common opposition of "vulgar" vs "distinguished" stereotypes found in almost all pops.

That said, we see him here just from face. His frontal seems a bit narrow for a 'borreby', (we are confused very often with these frontal views) so it could be rather a partly evolved 'croma' type; but 'croma' seems to me the/ or/ a basis of some 'borreby' types so... Sorry for this typology access.

This thread has been viewed 9319 times.

Back