Swab Vs Spit Bucket

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
TTssss.jpg

Whats the verdict guys? I noticed that 23andme and ancestry have these very large spit buckets for the dna samples whereas Livingdna uses just one swab. Is the swab sufficient?
Is the spit bucket overkill, are they secretly storing the dna in archives over at Darpa :p?

The swab was much less gross, perhaps the bucket offers more insurance of capturing usable DNA though. I remember posters here complaining about Living DNA and how their samples couldn't be used.

I remember posters here complaining about Living DNA and how their samples couldn't be used.

Well thats stupid, do you know if they reimburse in the event that it fails? Or do they atleast resend you another swab free of charge?

Well thats stupid, do you know if they reimburse in the event that it fails? Or do they atleast resend you another swab free of charge?
They resend

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

Helix sequences DNA, via a spit tube, saliva sample. But the real difference in how they read the data, has to do with how they sequence the sample. It's supposed to be 100x more accurate in reading DNA than genotyping. Because their proprietary technology, Exome+, reads all of the letters in your genes.

https://www.helix.com/support/about-helix

How is this different from other services that use DNA?

Helix’s proprietary technology, called Exome+, reads every letter of all 22,000 protein-coding genes in your body, which produces 100 times more data than most consumer genetics companies. By capturing this additional information, Helix can offer more products with deeper insights, and continue to work with partners to bring you new products as scientists discover more about the genome. Because Helix captures all of your data upfront, you will be able to explore and purchase new products without having to submit another saliva sample and waiting months before you can unlock further DNA insights.

What is DNA sequencing?

Think of sequencing as reading the book of your personal genetics—every base (T, C, G, and A) is read in order and saved for the future. Using a reference sequence (a model sequence to compare to), we can determine when a base in an individual is different and the specific position of that variation within your DNA.

Most consumer genetics companies use a process called genotyping to read DNA data. If sequencing is reading a book, then genotyping is like reading a few letters on a few pages. Yes, you can learn a thing or two, but you don’t get the full story. Because genotyping requires an analysis of a specific variation, each experiment has to be done one at a time. With sequencing, you’re capturing all the words on all the pages and can flip through anytime.

What is Exome+?

Our sequencing technology is called Exome+. The “exome” is comprised of all the DNA that encodes for protein—and because proteins are the machinery of your cells, the exome represents some of the most important and well-studied pieces of your DNA. But the exome is only part of your DNA story. The genetic experts at Helix have identified other important information-rich areas to sequence (hence, Exome+).

Helix sequences DNA, via a spit tube, saliva sample. But the real difference in how they read the data, has to do with how they sequence the sample. It's supposed to be 100x more accurate in reading DNA than genotyping. Because their proprietary technology, Exome+, reads all of the letters in your genes.

Are there any companies that use helix? Does livingdna use genotyping?

Are there any companies that use helix? Does livingdna use genotyping?

They exclusively use National Geographic for now. But soon, they will also use Insitome; which is a new company. The only major downside, is that Helix currently does not release the raw DNA files, that could be used for other companies (i.e. FTDNA, and Myheritage). However, they said they're trying to work that out.

I'm not familiar with livingdna.

FTDNA and Yseq have Swab kits which are very nice. Looks like swabbing is much more comfortable then spiting. Out of companies that i seen FTDNA has best kits.

This thread has been viewed 5188 times.

Back