apie3000

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Ulster Scots, English, German, Swiss German, Probably Gaelic Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L21
mtDNA haplogroup
T1a1
Going by the ancient tribal groupings of ancient Europe, who are the ancestors of the southern Germans, Austrians, and German speaking Swiss? All of these places were once Celtic speaking areas being home the the Helvetti, the La Tene Celts, and other such groups. The Germanic tribes in the dark ages pushed south into these romanized Celtic regions and Germanized them culturally and they are all German speaking today. So my question is, what does the current evidence say about which peoples they descend from? Are they basically the same Celtic people but speaking German now? Did the Romans have a substantial influence on their gene pool? Did the Germanic tribes heavily intermarry or replace them? What is the influence of the Slavs on them?

Going by the ancient tribal groupings of ancient Europe, who are the ancestors of the southern Germans, Austrians, and German speaking Swiss? All of these places were once Celtic speaking areas being home the the Helvetti, the La Tene Celts, and other such groups. The Germanic tribes in the dark ages pushed south into these romanized Celtic regions and Germanized them culturally and they are all German speaking today. So my question is, what does the current evidence say about which peoples they descend from? Are they basically the same Celtic people but speaking German now? Did the Romans have a substantial influence on their gene pool? Did the Germanic tribes heavily intermarry or replace them? What is the influence of the Slavs on them?

from late bronze-age , these 3 would have been Gallic in origin ...................Central Germany was also Gallic as found by numerous sites .............ancient Germans only lived in north Germany, Denmark and slightly beyond

the Germans only went into these areas ( south side of the Danube river ) after the fall of the roman empire

from late bronze-age , these 3 would have been Gallic in origin ...................Central Germany was also Gallic as found by numerous sites .............ancient Germans only lived in north Germany, Denmark and slightly beyond

the Germans only went into these areas ( south side of the Danube river ) after the fall of the roman empire

Oh yeah, I knew that. My question is were those Gallic peoples intermixed with Romans and did the Germans that move in have any impact on their genes as they did their language and culture? Basically what does the genetic evidence show about their ancestry?

Any other takers on this topic?

I don't recall any recent paper looking at the ancestry of Germans. However, all of the things in your first post come into play. There's a difference between southwestern Germans, eastern Germans and northern Germans.

An aggressive Germanization program erased most of the consciousness of these genetic differences, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

You might want to take a look at this link:
https://gnxp.nofe.me/2017/12/08/gen...nicity/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't recall any recent paper looking at the ancestry of Germans. However, all of the things in your first post come into play. There's a difference between southwestern Germans, eastern Germans and northern Germans.
Not just between those 3. Add Friesland for example.

This thread has been viewed 5455 times.

Back