Credibility of FTDNA

How credible are FTDNA's test results concerning association to ethnic groups?

• ***** very high credibility (very few inconsistencies)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****_ high credibility

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ***__ medium credibility

• **___ low credibility

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • *____ very low credibility (a lot of inconsistencies)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How much % north Italian and % south Italian is she?

Oh and cute kitty avatar Angela :)

How much % north Italian and % south Italian is she?

Oh and cute kitty avatar Angela :)

Her Grandma is from Naples/Amalfi area and her Grandpa is from Northern Italy. So 1/4 Northern. It depends on whether or not you consider Naples closer to central Italy or Southern Italy for the other 1/4. On DNA Land she did not get any Mediterranean Islander which has samples from Sicily or any Sardinian. If you add her South Central European 33% with Southwestern 4.6% with Central IndoEuropean 4.8% with North African 4.4% with Arab/Egyptian 1.1% you get 47.9% or almost half Italian. This is also close to 46.5% Southern Europe score from 23andMe.

Her Grandma is from Naples/Amalfi area and her Grandpa is from Northern Italy. So 1/4 Northern. It depends on whether or not you consider Naples closer to central Italy or Southern Italy for the other 1/4. On DNA Land she did not get any Mediterranean Islander which has samples from Sicily or any Sardinian. If you add her South Central European 33% with Southwestern 4.6% with Central IndoEuropean 4.8% with North African 4.4% with Arab/Egyptian 1.1% you get 47.9% or almost half Italian. This is also close to 46.5% Southern Europe score from 23andMe.

Naples is without a doubt in southern Italy, so that makes her 1/4 southern Italian.

Didn’t vote due to lack of paternal info., but here are the results and some comparisons. Maternal side paperwork traces back through Scot/Irish Ancestry to around mid 1700’s. Family surnames are mentioned as far back as Dal Riada, so I should have a high degree of British. FTDNA breakdown is at 98% British Isles and 2% Ashkenazi. Ancestry 49% I/S/W, 47% GB, 1% European Jewish. 23andMe 90.8% B&I, Scandinavian 1.4%, Broadly NW Eur. 6%. Geno2 B&I 97%, 2% Arabian. Other tests taken all fall within the same percentage framework. Not a great amount of variation for me between the various testing companies.

Didn’t vote due to lack of paternal info., but here are the results and some comparisons. Maternal side paperwork traces back through Scot/Irish Ancestry to around mid 1700’s. Family surnames are mentioned as far back as Dal Riada, so I should have a high degree of British. FTDNA breakdown is at 98% British Isles and 2% Ashkenazi. Ancestry 49% I/S/W, 47% GB, 1% European Jewish. 23andMe 90.8% B&I, Scandinavian 1.4%, Broadly NW Eur. 6%. Geno2 B&I 97%, 2% Arabian. Other tests taken all fall within the same percentage framework. Not a great amount of variation for me between the various testing companies.
What are your DNA Land scores?

Last edited:
Her Grandma is from Naples/Amalfi area and her Grandpa is from Northern Italy. So 1/4 Northern. It depends on whether or not you consider Naples closer to central Italy or Southern Italy for the other 1/4.

As Davef said, there is no doubt that Naples/Amalfi is in southern Italy. From which area of northern Italy the other 1/4?

Last edited:
What are your DNA Land scores?

DNA.LAND
Northwest European 95%, South/Central Europe 2.7%, Ambiguous 2.2%.

LivingDNA
GB&I 94.3%, Scandinavia 4.6%, Kurdish 1.1%. This is the highest Scandinavian score of all tested companies to date which is surprising since most other tests show 0%. You would think being a Scot, Scandinavian would show across all testing platforms.

As Davef said, there is no doubt that Naples/Amalfi is in southern Italy. From which area of northern Italy the other 1/4?

I’m not aware of the exact location in Nothern Italy.

DNA.LAND
Northwest European 95%, South/Central Europe 2.7%, Ambiguous 2.2%.

LivingDNA
GB&I 94.3%, Scandinavia 4.6%, Kurdish 1.1%. This is the highest Scandinavian score of all tested companies to date which is surprising since most other tests show 0%. You would think being a Scot, Scandinavian would show across all testing platforms.

There are a lot of overlapping alleles between Northwestern Europe, Great Britain, and Scandinavia because of cross migrations over millennia. Just because you match closer to modern UK reference samples does not mean that there is not a lot of Scandinavian influence in the UK or in your genome since the Nordic Bronze Age. It’s not one or the other when it comes to these percentages.

There are a lot of overlapping alleles between Northwestern Europe, Great Britain, and Scandinavia because of cross migrations over millennia. Just because you match closer to modern UK reference samples does not mean that there is not a lot of Scandinavian influence in the UK or in your genome since the Nordic Bronze Age. It’s not one or the other when it comes to these percentages.

I am under no allusion of the interpretive nature of commercial genetic testing. Just that the inconsistencies in that interpretation. I was schooled and worked in an area related to the physical sciences where computation and formula interpretation were exacting. Ancestry testing by many of these companies borders on novelty science at best.

When I first decided to pursue my father’s origin, I assumed he fell within one of the Scottish clans. Not only did my dna not fall within a Scot clan, my ydna didn’t even fall within the British Isles. The dna has a great affinity for NW Europe in which Scandinavia falls.

Signed up to join FTDNA Scottish Project. Listed me as not Scottish but possibly Scandinavian. Joined Scandinavian Project, listed as ungrouped. Accepted the fact even though being native born, my dna is an outlier with no matches within recent history. The two recent BigY matches seem to have brought me back to the Isles. Even though it’s 600 yrs. it gives me hope, more may materialize.

Note, using my maternal aunt as a proxie for my mum, her Ancestry Scandinavian is 10%, mine is 0%. To conclude, I really don’t care what labels are used in my dna interpretation, as long as the underlying data is correct. Hopefully, one day these science may make these interpretation discussions irrelevant.

There's that mandatory Sephardic score from ftdna

Same percentage of Sephardic as well at 14% as my wife. Coincidence?

Same percentage of Sephardic as well at 14% as my wife. Coincidence?

They're (Sephardics) European Jews with heavy Southern European like genes (Ashkenazi in same boat in that regard) plus ftdna gravitating everyone towards them as we see in this thread. This issue needs to be cleaned up or people will get confused.

They're (Sephardics) European Jews with heavy Southern European like genes (Ashkenazi in same boat in that regard) plus ftdna gravitating everyone towards them as we see in this thread. This issue needs to be cleaned up or people will get confused.

When Kurd created his k25 and k29 algorithm he left out those two components because some samples were getting false positives. Doesn’t make sense to me to associate genetic alleles with ethnicity or religion. It can be very misleading. Perhaps in the future companies will release allele reports and then you can see how common certain alleles you have are around the world or with ancient samples.

This thread has been viewed 18657 times.

Back