Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

Ethnic group
    English/German

In another thread there is a discussion about who the best Roman emperors were. How do we think Bran will do as King? A little detached and other-worldly to attend to the day-to-day needs of rule, don’t you think?

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    In another thread there is a discussion about who the best Roman emperors were. How do we think Bran will do as King? A little detached and other-worldly to attend to the day-to-day needs of rule, don’t you think?
    Well, detached is the word, don't you think? Looked like two minutes with the council and then off to go to la la land.

Even Robert Baratheon spent more time on matters of state than that.

I hated the whole thing. Why would anyone think a hereditary oligarchy is that much better than a hereditary kingship? Most of the real life, historical examples usually deteriorated into internal wars. Plus, the interaction of the members of the small council, especially with BRON on it, of all people, didn't inspire me with much confidence that really good decisions would be made.

Maybe part of my reaction to Bran as King is that the actor gives what I think are terrible performances. The only thing I see on his face is smug satisfaction. I wanted to smack him. :)

Perhaps I was on to something with my theory of the tragic hero. They really threw Jon under the bus. He goes off into exile, and these mediocre people are left in charge.

Or maybe HBO just wants to milk the franchise as much as it can and forced certain things on the writers. In addition to a prequel, can't you just see a whole "Arya" series? I'll be giving that one a pass. Or how about this one? They muck everything up in Westeros, so Jon has to come back riding Drogon to straighten it all out. The possibilities are now endless.

I yelled at the screen when they came up with that stupid let's send Jon to the Knight's Watch. :) What Knight's Watch? There are no knights there. Was he supposed to camp out there like a hermit? Even if there were some ex-Knights there, what would be their function? What would be HIS function? There's a huge freaking chunk down. How are they going to keep anyone out? The Wildings don't even want to be south of it. In another bit of stupidity they have Jon and the Wildings going out the gate. Just go out the huge missing chunk for goodness' sakes. Not everyone has forgotten it came down.

Maybe I'm too logical for this stuff. Sometimes it seemed like the writers forgot what happened in prior scenes.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 281

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

Ethnic group
    English/German

Didn’t Diocletian try “something” like an hereditary oligarchy with the tetrarchy? It worked out just as you might think it would. However, when I complain about illogic in a show with dragons and the undead, my wife just laughs at me.

Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 12.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Pat-U106-H-e1a4b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H5a1b

Ethnic group
    a true mutt

I haven't seen any of this season, and I have to say, the books were much better than the series. On another note, I just returned from a trip to Ireland and was able to visit the Game of Thrones Touring Exhibition. It was very interesting.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Didn’t Diocletian try “something” like an hereditary oligarchy with the tetrarchy? It worked out just as you might think it would. However, when I complain about illogic in a show with dragons and the undead, my wife just laughs at me.
    There are conventions in certain kinds of literature which you either like or don't like, don't you think?

I'm a great fan of South American fiction, which contains many elements of what they call "magical realism". Or, there are fables/allegories like the "Chronicles of Narnia". Going in you have to accept that these are magical worlds.

However, they're not "illogical" worlds. Even the "magical" creatures or "events" have to follow the "rules" of logic.

Some people like it; after all, Marquez got himself a Nobel Prize for literature.

Some people hate it.

I like it; my husband hates it, and GOT. I tell him it's a failure of imagination and an inability to see beyond the surface of things. :) All in good humor, of course. :)

The thing is, if something, book, movie, television show, is well done, I'm up for almost every genre. He's not. I often watch things like Bruce Willis movies with him. There's no way he's going to watch yet another Jane Austen movie.:)

On the other hand I don't like certain kinds of fantasy i.e. The Marvel comic book heroes stuff. I've tried to watch it, but it's torture. Yet he'll watch that.

It takes all kinds to make the world, right?

OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 415

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

Simply

season 8 is just a fast, (come on, lets finish it) very bad screenplay, and very cheap production, not to use another word,

they should put a fine in the production managers and teams, and specially screenmakers,

Catapults outside wall? whos idea was this?
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 6.0%

MtDNA haplogroup
    W3a1

Ethnic group
    Cheesy macaroni

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I yelled at the screen when they came up with that stupid let's send Jon to the Knight's Watch. :) What Knight's Watch? There are no knights there. Was he supposed to camp out there like a hermit? Even if there were some ex-Knights there, what would be their function? What would be HIS function? There's a huge freaking chunk down. How are they going to keep anyone out? The Wildings don't even want to be south of it. In another bit of stupidity they have Jon and the Wildings going out the gate. Just go out the huge missing chunk for goodness' sakes. Not everyone has forgotten it came down.
    The breach is in a different part of the Wall, at Eastwatch, a hundred miles from Castle Black (which is where Jon went back to at the end). I gathered that he (and Ghost!) left to live beyond the Wall with the Free Folk. The outcome for each character is satisfying to me, if only the story had been told better, in a less rushed manner which leave so many questions unanswered. Oh well. Bittersweet indeed.

Three FriendsRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 99.1%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-L1029*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H11a2*-146+

Ethnic group
    Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    There will be no sequels. Martin and HBO have confirmed as much. Everyones moving onto other projects and only 2 prequels are confirmed. One is filming its pilot(the long night) with the working title of Bloodmoon. Based in the age of heroes. Already casted and filming this summer. Second in the writing stage is based on the 2018 novel fire & blood which chronicles Aegons conquest up to roberts rebellion if im not mistaken. It remains to be seen whether that series will cover all that ground or only a section of it.

Also The ending in the show is exactly the ending we will get in the books, obviously with vastly different and better written plot device making sense of those final close outs. Martin already said in an interview that Bran/3ER would be the best king given his abilities. Additionally, its not really his acting. The 3ER is almost robotic, and so when he became him his soul was lost, Bran no more.

While horribly executed, the finale did have a few strong moments. Drogon burning the throne. To me(due the maesters saying they're smarter than humans) Drogon knew the throne is what corrupted his mother and led to her demise. This is why he spared Jon, not because hes a targaryen.

Jon wasn't really exiled in a literal sense. If you notice when he rides beyond the wall, the wildlings have their things packed as if a migrating party. Jon looks back at the gate one last time, and notices plants growing in the snow covered forest, and smirks. This is in some poorly written way showing he is happy beyond the wall and feels accomplished. Spring comes, along with an everlasting Summer. This means the land north of the wall will become lush and habitable again, eventually growing rich with game. I took it as Jon and the wildlings migrating to form a new people in new and uncharted northern regions, including the land of always winter(maybe now always summer? lol).

Its obvious they set out to have powerful moments but completely mishandled their execution. You just have to head cannon the aftermath to fill in the blanks.

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 52

I´ve never seen game of thrones so far ...

Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Goooosh, Euron is my #love !

Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 7.0%

I think you should do it :) you won't regret I promise

Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13
    MtDNA haplogroup
    R0

Last seasons were too disappointing.

7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Knut85 View Post
    I´ve never seen game of thrones so far ...
    In a way I envy you ))) in my opinion it's probably the best series ever! But the last season leaves much to be desired.

Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Did someone mention Euron? The most happy character so far in the GoT universe, you can't change my mind. Had sex and killed whom he wanted to, died with a smile on his face. What a guy.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Yes, a complete sociopath. What a role model.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123