"The Game of Thrones"

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I love this series, as I loved the books, and one of the reasons is that the author knows how to write women who are believable and as varied in terms of personality as men.

"[FONT=&quot]Like [/FONT]The Handmaid’s Tale[FONT=&quot], and unlike [/FONT]Wonder Woman[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]Game of Thrones[FONT=&quot] also explores women’s relationship to institutional power in a variety of ways – while acknowledging that whatever this relationship might be, it is always categorically gendered. If [/FONT]Wonder Woman[FONT=&quot] is a celebratory story of warrior queens, and [/FONT]The Handmaid’s Tale[FONT=&quot] is a cautionary tale of female enslavement, [/FONT]Game of Thrones[FONT=&quot] offers women who are emperors, slaves and everything in between. It is a world in which women who seem to be pawns have a way of turning out to be queens; but it is also a world that knows queens can always be taken.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Each of the women in Game of Thrones might be said to embody a certain archetypal female experience in relation to power. They cover the spectrum: from the initially conventional femininity of Sansa Stark, submissively learning needlepoint and manipulated by those around her; to her sister Arya, who rejects this sort of femininity in favour of a sword she ironically names “Needle”; to the knight Brienne of Tarth, who is mocked for her lack of femininity but lives like a man in a male-dominated world; to the priestess Melisandre, a fanatic who uses sexual power in the name of religious power; to the heroine Daenerys, whose story arc takes her from rape victim to conquering ruler; to the queen regent Cersei, whose evil is contextualised, if not justified, within a story of rage and thwarted ambition. Yara Greyjoy is a daughter trying to be like a man to please her ferociously misogynist father; Margaery Tyrell is a post-feminist pragmatist, using whatever power she can find to achieve her ends, while her grandmother Olenna (played to the hilt by Diana Rigg) is a cross between Catherine de Medici and the Mother Superior from The Sound of Music, wimple and all. And as the story has evolved, even the most submissive women, like Sansa, are emerging from their violent experiences with a survivor’s sense of strength – and vengeance."

They forgot Catelyn Stark, one of my favorite characters except for her treatment of John Snow: the strong, proud, loyal wife and loving, protective mother, with a firm grasp of the politics of her world, but like her son perhaps not the best judge of character.

I don't agree on the author's take on Cersei. Hey, a lot of people have terrible fathers...it doesn't excuse how evil she becomes.

Still, she does have some great one-liners from a woman's point of view:

" In season one, she tells Sansa Stark that when her brother “was taught to fight, I was taught to smile. He was heir to Casterly Rock, I was sold like a horse.” When Margaery coos that they will be just like sisters, Cersei snaps: “If you ever call me sister again, I’ll have you strangled in your sleep.” When a warrior from another land informs her that in his kingdom, “We don’t hurt little girls”, she replies: “Everywhere in the world, they hurt little girls.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ones-handmaids-tale-wonder-woman-female-power[/FONT]

I love GoT. BTW, Euron reminded me of the old Viking raids. What an episode (season 7, ep. 2)! I hope Yara will not perish :(

I love GoT. BTW, Euron reminded me of the old Viking raids. What an episode (season 7, ep. 2)! I hope Yara will not perish :(

So do I. I don't think I've missed a single episode.

Euron is an animal.

SPOILERS !!! I guess

The only terribly written women in Game of Thrones were the Sand Snakes, also known as cringe snakes.

I've never been happier for a character's death, not even when Joffrey died (RIP beloved) plus I didn't forget they killed Myrcella :sad-2: and her handsome boyfriend, whoever that guy was.

One memorable quote from the sand snakes :

You want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy

simply genius :sad-2:

where did they get that line from ? Nicki Minaj ?

Last edited:
The prince that was promised may be Jaime.

The prince that was promised may be Jaime.

I doubt it. I think it's either Jon or Daenerys.

Regardless, Jon is my absolutely favorite character...honorable, honest, just, compassionate, loving, as well as strong and determined. Since the prince (or princess) is supposed to be able to yield a sword of fire it might seem that it is Daenerys, and it might indeed be her, but as Jon is half Targaryen, it's possible he will transform further as his trials test him.

The prince that was promised will have a rare Valyrian Y-DNA that was found among the ancient remains of the dragon lords of Valyria, they were the first people to tame dragons and forge Valyrian steel, they also spoke proto Valyrian, the ancestral language of the Valyrian language family.

Jon and Khaleesi are too obvious. If one of them is Azor Ahai, then I rest my case. Too easy bro!

Next season is the last. How will they be able to reveal so much in so small time?

The prince that was promised will have a rare Valyrian Y-DNA that was found among the ancient remains of the dragon lords of Valyria, they were the first people to tame dragons and forge Valyrian steel, they also spoke proto Valyrian, the ancestral language of the Valyrian language family.

Yes and its Ben or Bran
Soon he and Night King will be one

we know what is underneath each castle except Winterfell
Arya is going to find out, (maybe the spiders?)
Arya is one with faceless men etc
and Ben or Bran will be one with Night King
Winterfell and Stark are connected with Targaryen, they are the same

anyway I never understood why Martin change the boook in the story of Waif

what he earned? or us?

''The dire wolfs have always remained loyal''

but why Numeria turns her back to Arya?

Last edited:
Someone mentioned the Dornish prince who was killed. He was played by an English actor named Toby Sebasatian, another one of these good looking black curly haired, brown eyed and olive skinned Brits.
Toby-Sebastian.jpg

latest

Ok, now I've had it. :) I'm going to write to HBO and complain about Jon Snow's hair lately.

I want this:
0eb22fa93241c3b2d8c7a65a1f1cfdef--john-snow-eye-candy.jpg

I want no more of this...For goodness' sakes, it's his only really beautiful feature, so leave it alone. Also, can't he afford some new animal fur cloaks now that he's King of the North? The ones he wears look filthy; they're probably crawling with fleas and lice. If they aim at realism in terms of living conditions they should have him scratching all the time. I mean, I know Daenerys had to put up with Drago and the Dothraki, but she's back in civilization now, or what passes for it in this world. :)
got-jon-snow.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x722.jpg

All I can say about last night's episode is: WOW!

Spoiler Alert!

The Dothraki look like the Apaches in this scene.

Jamie is at his best here. Still not a good guy, though...throw young boy out of a building because he saw you and your sister having intercourse...uh, no!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQtGZYEvFhA

Well, it's almost here. :)

I have a feeling it's going to live up to the hype.

I've resigned myself that probably not only Dany but Jon Snow, my favorite, is going to die. He'll probably go out in a blaze of heroism and self-sacrifice, which would be just like him, but which will still be really sad.

Sansa will probably survive, whom I can't stand, both the character and the actress :), perhaps as regent for Jon's and Dany's baby if they have one? Or maybe everyone will decide to submit it to a vote and someone else wil get it. As long as the Night King is defeated and Cersei gets killed, it's ok.

For us nerds:

For book readers: there's a theory online that says that Jon is Azor Ahai, and Dany Nisa Nisa which means he'll have to kill her to defeat the While Walkers. Or Dany might be AA and Jon Nisa Nisa? Whatever the case, my bet is on Dany dying. I like her far more in the books than in the show, though she's been less annoying since she met Jon.

I want to see more of Ghost this seasonl! Apparently, he's gonna make a big come-back, which is great. I wonder how the meeting between Dany, her dragons and Ghost will go.

Will we ever see the release of the Winds of Winter? I'm still hoping.

I think Martin has not overpass his meloDrama syndrome

of beauty and the beast

beautybeast_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNvLtDx75wZSR0MSb26ou_3gVU_kHLfS6zy1KZpNOoWk.jpg

This thread has been viewed 25695 times.

Back