"A genome-wide association study for extremely high intelligence"

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a
LINK: http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/mp2017121a.html?foxtrotcallback=true

"Individuals with extremely high intelligence were recruited from the Duke University Talent Identification Program (TIP), a non-profit organization established in 1980and dedicated to identifying and fostering the development of academically gifted children. For the present study, TIP cases were selected and DNA solicited from the top 1% of these TIP individuals,
representing approximately the top 0.03% of the intelligence distribution (~170 mean IQ)

After performing the GWA single SNP analysis using an additive model for 6 773  587 SNPs, three intronic SNPs: rs4962322, rs4962520 and rs10794073 located in ADAM12 on chromosome 10 reached genome-wide significant P-values of 8.0 × 10−9, 1.2 × 10−8 and 2.0 × 10−8, respectively. The three SNPs are in high LD with r2 ranging between 0.9 and 1.0, with rs4962322 representing the sentinel SNP after clumping. ADAM12 encodes a member of the ADAM (a disintegrin and metalloprotease) protein family. Members of this family are membrane-anchored proteins and have been implicated in a variety of biological processes involving cell–cell and cell–matrix interactions, including fertilization, muscle development and neurogenesis.

mp2017121f1.jpg

"In summary, we have shown that extremely high intelligence is a polygenic trait and its high heritability indicates that GWA analysis captures a large portion of the genetic variance.
The novel aspect of the present study is that it represents a complementary strategy to the ‘brute force’ approach of increasing sample sizes of GWA studies of IQ variation in the
normal range (and is an example for quantitative trait genetics in general). It demonstrates the utility of a ‘positive genetics’ strategy of focusing on the extremely high end of the
distribution of IQ. Larger scale studies focusing on either high IQ or IQ in the normal range are likely to be successful in the identification of many significant loci and biological pathways."

Do they say how they should be expressed CC CT TT?

there are many kinds of intelligence
IQ is measuring only one of them

Do they say how they should be expressed CC CT TT?

cant find it : /

there are many kinds of intelligence
IQ is measuring only one of them

Of course, but they address this in the intro:

"This general cognitive ability factor, usually called general intelligence (‘g’), is one of the best predictors of important life outcomes including education,
occupation, and mental and physical health.2 General intelligence is also one of the most heritable behavioural traits, with heritability increasing from 40% in childhood to 80% in later adulthood."

No offense, but I don't see how intelligence influence physical health. I fail understand how the ability to think had an impact on the health of every other organ in the body (though tbh, physical health CAN influence cognitive ability).

And I'm well aware of not-so-smart individuals in phenomenal shape, as well as brilliant minds who are destined to drop dead before 50 unless they change their habits (by habits I don't mean substance habits-they're straight edge to the max).

And I doubt that iq protects from mental health issues going by the number of brilliant individuals with depression/anxiety/bipolar I'm also aware of, though it can help in certain ways.

No offense, but I don't see how intelligence influence physical health. I fail understand how the ability to think had an impact on the health of every other organ in the body (though tbh, physical health CAN influence cognitive ability).

And I'm well aware of not-so-smart individuals in phenomenal shape, as well as brilliant minds who are destined to drop dead before 50 unless they change their habits (by habits I don't mean substance habits-they're straight edge to the max).

And I doubt that iq protects from mental health issues going by the number of brilliant individuals with depression/anxiety/bipolar I'm also aware of, though it can help in certain ways.

Its probably more likely that higher intelligence (g) people will lead healthier lives and avoid risk. Obviously there are exceptions from all angles, but such outliers usually dont negate the general rule of distribution.

Rs4962322 and rs10794073 are both tested by 23andMe (rs10794073 is also tested by FTDNA). The common variant appears to be CC. Does anyone here have anything else?

Its probably more likely that higher intelligence (g) people will lead healthier lives and avoid risk. Obviously there are exceptions from all angles, but such outliers usually dont negate the general rule of distribution.

That makes perfect sense!

Rs4962322 and rs10794073 are both tested by 23andMe (rs10794073 is also tested by FTDNA). The common variant appears to be CC. Does anyone here have anything else?

Interesting, is there a way we could ask livingdna to test for specific snp's or is it inbuilt into their chips which snps they test for?

Interesting, is there a way we could ask livingdna to test for specific snp's or is it inbuilt into their chips which snps they test for?

I checked but these three SNPs are not on the Living DNA chip.

I have 23andMe, both CC.

I wonder if they accommodated for racial or ethnic bias. 50% of candidates could have been British in origin, and these results will point to different genetic variants than in Chinese, perhaps?

I have AC in both.

I think you may be reading the paper slightly wrong if you are looking for just these two or three SNPs - the point is that it is polygenic, as in hundreds or thousands of SNPs contribute to effect in combination. There are some reasonable calculators of it out there (but I'm too "young" to post links, haha) - and also if it may be unclear from paper discusses above then go search Google scholar for the later one with title
"A combined analysis of genetically correlated traits identifies 187 loci and a role for neurogenesis and myelination in intelligence."
...it definitely nails down the polygenic nature of intelligence

I have always wondered whether they have some study tools that I don’t know. And it seems like they have. I would certainly need to learn more about it, thank you for your ideas. I love to learn about learning. About everything, actually, except writing process and essays. When I have to write an essay I just click the essayhave and choose a writing service. Then I can read the text and work with additional literature. But it will be after ordering the text itself.

If a common SNP is missing, like in above discussion from livingdna, then you can just impute it using e.g. impute.me or similar platform. Not possible for rare SNPs unfortunately. But almost all common SNPs it's easy enough to get

Do note that they say polygenic though, so it's not just a single SNP effecting this

This thread has been viewed 11116 times.

Back