Monumental tomb found in Pompeii

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
http://www.archaeology.org/news/5768-170727-porta-stabia-tomb

"A monumental tomb with a long funerary epigraph describing the life of the deceased has been discovered in Porta Stabia, according to a report in ANSAmed. The inscription is missing the man’s name, but it says he was a duoviro, or Pompeii city magistrate, and describes his coming of age, his wedding, and his sponsorship of banquets and games. The inscription also contains information about an armed brawl at a gladiator show in Pompeii in 59 B.C., in which the tomb’s occupant may have been killed. We know from an account left by the Roman historian Tacitus that after a Senate investigation into the brawl, ordered by Emperor Nero, that the residents of Pompeii were forbidden to hold gladiator games for ten years, and those who organized the games and incited the clash were exiled. Pompeii’s general director, Massimo Osanna, said the newly found inscription complements the account left by Tacitus and mentions that some of the city’s magistrates were also exiled. "

Sounds like a football match gone sideways. :)

Seriously, I don't see any mention of whether there were remains. If there were, this is one set that should really be tested. This is an upper class Roman from Pompeii. He could fill in a lot of gaps.

Oh, dear, that sounds pretty ghoulish on my part, but he would be contributing so much to genetics.

See also:

"
12313892f93e2d17d766e43871ee49c1.jpg

(ANSAmed) - NAPLES, JULY 26 - A brawl between gladiators that ended in tragedy, narrated by Tacitus, and a mysterious character that probably died in it is a 2,000-year-old mystery of Pompeii brought to light by a marble monumental tomb with the longest funerary epigraph ever found. The excavation was connected with the rehabilitation of state-owned property as part of the Great Pompeii Project in the San Paolino area near Porta Stabia, one of the accesses to the ancient city.

The tombstone was made shortly before the eruption that destroyed Pompeii in 69 AD and was presented on Thursday in the archaeological area. The inscription is over 4 meters long, in seven narrative registers, and though it does not include the deceased's name, it describes in detail the major events in the life of the man buried within it: from the acquisition of the 'toga virilis' to his wedding, and describes the munificent activities that accompanied such events such as public banquets, largess, the holding of gladiatorial games and battling large beasts."

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/...eii_223d6f13-f15b-43d1-8405-a6f11fccd33b.html

Tacitus seems to have gotten this one right.

Doesn't sound that ghoulish to me but I am a family history enthuiasist as well as most people in this forum.

A discussion about a gggrandfather's grave led me once to propose an exhumation to extract some DNA. This was not received very well in that forum as most wanted to leave the grave undisturbed. I guess we genetic genealogists just think differently about the subject.

Wonderful article and a great find! Thanks for sharing it with us.

A discussion about a gggrandfather's grave led me once to propose an exhumation to extract some DNA. This was not received very well in that forum as most wanted to leave the grave undisturbed. I guess we genetic genealogists just think differently about the subject.

I'm also the same. Personally if my family members exhumed my body and took a chip of bone off of my body for research I would have nothing against it.

I'm also the same. Personally if my family members exhumed my body and took a chip of bone off of my body for research I would have nothing against it.

I think it would be a bit of a compliment, really, right? It means they care about their ancestry and my contribution to it.

They won't have to go to the trouble. I'll grant them access to my raw data at 23andme. :)

One of my great regrets is that my parents died too young for me to get them tested. It would be like having them with me.

Now you've got me thinking. What does it take to get an exhumation order, and I wonder what it would cost? I can just hear the howls of protest from my family. Oh, well...

I think it would be a bit of a compliment, really, right? It means they care about their ancestry and my contribution to it.

What does it take to get an exhumation order, and I wonder what it would cost? I can just hear the howls of protest from my family. Oh, well...

I think its worth it to be honest, even if some family members resist :D. You can keep ur parent's dna in a pendant or an object in the home (on a small usb or micro sd card) everywhere you go.
Also so much valuable health data will be available from dna in very near future that it could also have unforeseen positive health effects on you and your family.

good luck

This thread has been viewed 3837 times.

Back