Cleanest and greenest beaches in Italy

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.thelocal.it/20170608/map-best-beaches-blue-flag-italy-swimming-clean-award

You can zoom in to look at the ones nearest the areas which interest you. In addition to telling you if it's sandy or rocky or both, it tells you whether there's a marina, boats etc.

Tiny Liguria has the highest number of them. :) However, be advised that they're usually not large and parts can be rocky. For broader, sandy beaches, neighboring Toscana has Marina di Massa, or Forte de Marmi, for example.

Among those listed:

Lerici has quite a few beaches on the list. This is just one of them.
venere-azzurra-lerici.jpg

Blue flag beach at Levanto. It's much better than the one at Monterosso in the Cinque Terre. In fact, I often recommend tourists stay here in preference to staying in the Cinque Terre proper. The trails connect, and it's not quite so claustrophobic in the summer.

photo0jpg.jpg

Along the Amalfi coast, the beaches at Positano are clean and beautiful, but Positano makes me feel claustrophobic, especially in summer when all I hear in the tiny streets are American voices. So, if it's high summer, I like Verano beach near Sorrento or the beaches in Massa Lubrense. There are sandy beaches, but I love the rocky coves. What they do is flatten stones or create concrete platforms for the sunbeds. No sand in your bathing suit, but it's still two steps to the water, and you still get the views and the smells. It's just heaven. We do the same thing along the coast in Liguria, in Santa Margherita Ligure, for example. I know most Americans and northern Europeans tend to go for the wide sandy beaches, but not me.

beach_Baia-delle-Sirene-55830e682b74d.jpg

Positano
P1060889_d_0_0_800.20170621121322.jpg

it reminds me our summer holidays on the Costa Brava in Spain during childhood
me and my cousins and nieces, we would swim along the rocks for a mile and longer to other small beaches further away
nobody seemed to worry back then
today it is unthinkable

Cefalù deserves a bit of a mention:

4288.jpg
4288.jpg

Attachments

• Cefalu.jpg
    Cefalu.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 49
Five Gorgeous Italian Beaches You Probably Don't Know About But Should

Roca Vecchia, an archaeological trove with remnants from the Bronze Age, and the extraordinary and craggy Grotta della Poesia, one of the most beautiful natural swimming sites in the world.
Torre del Orso, whose towers like others along the coast were once look-outs for invaders, has a long sandy beach; its waters earned a Blue Flag designation
Torre Sant’Andrea, named one of Italy's most beautiful beaches last year by travel site Skyscanner (it also has a Blue Flag designation).
Santa Maria di Leuca (also known as Leuca), the southernmost point of the Salentine peninsula (Romans thought this was Finibus Terrae, the End of the Earth).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cather...ably-dont-know-about-but-should/#443938931a44

This thread has been viewed 6534 times.

Back