Genetic Origins of Minoans and Mycenaeans

When I say "proto Mycenean", I mean the people whom came from the Eurasian steppes as warrior elite and founded the Mycenean civilization. I generally don't use the term "Greek" for ancient Hellenes for easier understanding. I prefer the Hellenic term.
In my opinion ancient Macedonians were ethnically Illyrians, though they became part of the Hellenic nation later on 500 bce. We need to accept, though I don't like this, that nationality and ethnicity are two distinct things.
I tend to believe Herodotus about Macedonians.
Anyway, what is the original ydna of proto Myceneans? J2a1 and G2a seems to be local, not from the Eurasian steppes. In my opinion proto Myceneans were IE chariot riders from the Catacomb culture
Yes, that's a wrong reference. Proto-Greeks came before the Mycenaeans. I neither don't use the designation proto-Greeks for the Archaic Greeks (9th-8th centuries BCE). The designation of proto-Greeks is academically assigned to the group of Greek speakers that existed before the first divergence happened, namely within the 3rd millennium BCE (there is evidence for that), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Greek_language. Mycenaeans appeared much later, around 1650 BCE and were not the only Greeks in existence. Hence it is wrong to be associating proto-Mycenaeans with proto-Greeks. The Mycenaean language is not the proto-Greek language, but an Aeolic dialect essentially.

Regarding ancient Macedonians. In the opinion of Slavomacedonians (North Macedonia), the ancient Macedonians were Slavs. Opinion doesn't mean anything if it isn't backed by actual evidence. Furthermore, Herodotus claimed that the ancient Macedonians were Greeks.

Proto-Mycenaeans would essentially be an Aeolic group that diverged from the proto-Greek nucleus and essentially merged with the pre-Greek populations. Therefore it would be difficult to determine which was the representative Y-DNA haplogroups of proto-Mycenaeans without evaluating more samples. J2a nonetheless appears to have been one of the predominant haplogroups in the region.

The same Eupedia webpage i shared earlier has E1b1b at one sample of the total 69 from the Neolithic, https://www.eupedia.com/genetics/haplogroups_of_neolithic_farmers.shtml. Do you have any additional to mention like you did with J2a?
There are 6 E samples from Neolithic Europe.

1) E-L618 from Zemunica cave, Croatia. Part of the Cardium Pottery Culture and dated 7,600-7,400ybp
2) E-V13 from Avellaner cave, Spain. Part of the Cardium Pottery Culture, dated to ~7,000ybp
3) E-M78 from Neolithic Hungary. Part of the Sopot Culture and dated to 7,000-6,800ybp
4) E-L618 from Neolithic Hungary. Part of the Lengyel Culture, dated to 6,780-6,700ybp
5) E-M215 from Neolithic Germany. Part of the Michelsberg Culture, dated to 6,250-5,650ybp
6) E-M78 from Verteba cave, Ukraine. Part of the Cucuteni-Trypillian Culture, dated to 6,000-5,600ybp. Should note that I have seen this sample classified as Z830+.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...I&ll=47.59957132996824,18.791319566763264&z=6

It looks like that J2a1 was around the same as E1b during Neolithic. Am I right?

What do you think about the proto Mycenean ydna ? Which was the ydna of these first proto Mycenean chieftains according to you?
7 J2a samples have been found in Neolithic Europe, whilst 6 E1b samples have been found. So yeah, pretty similar in terms of distribution for this time period.

I believe that the Proto-Greeks were predominantly R-Z2103+, perhaps Z2103>L584 given its spread and the fact that it is high in modern day Armenians. Linguists have made connections between the Armenian and Greek languages on various occasions. L584 also seems to be one of the dominant R1b clades present in modern Greeks.

Last edited:
There are 6 E samples from Neolithic Europe.

1) E-L618 from Zemunica cave, Croatia. Part of the Cardium Pottery Culture and dated 7,600-7,400ybp
2) E-V13 from Avellaner cave, Spain. Part of the Cardium Pottery Culture, dated to ~7,000ybp
3) E-M78 from Neolithic Hungary. Part of the Sopot Culture and dated to 7,000-6,800ybp
4) E-L618 from Neolithic Hungary. Part of the Lengyel Culture, dated to 6,780-6,700ybp
5) E-M215 from Neolithic Germany. Part of the Michelsberg Culture, dated to 6,250-5,650ybp
6) E-M78 from Verteba cave, Ukraine. Part of the Cucuteni-Trypillian Culture, dated to 6,000-5,600ybp. Should note that I have seen this sample classified as Z830+.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...I&ll=47.59957132996824,18.791319566763264&z=6
Thanks, it seems the Eupedia webpage i shared is outdated. We surely should also have a lot more G2a than just 42 samples. Do you have a figure for it?

Thanks, it seems the Eupedia webpage i shared is outdated. We surely should also have a lot more G2a than just 42 samples. Do you have a figure for it?
Not too sure on the exact figures, though I'd guess that it should be within the 50s.

7 J2a samples have been found in Neolithic Europe, whilst 6 E1b samples have been found. So yeah, pretty similar in terms of distribution for this time period.

I believe that the Proto-Greeks were predominantly R-Z2103+, perhaps Z2103>L584 given its spread and the fact that it is high in modern day Armenians. Linguists have made connections between the Armenian and Greek languages on various occasions.

It makes sense. Greek, Armenian, and Phrygian are constantly put in same/related Indo-European tree.

Yes, that's a wrong reference. Proto-Greeks came before the Mycenaeans. I neither don't use the designation proto-Greeks for the Archaic Greeks (9th-8th centuries BCE). The designation of proto-Greeks is academically assigned to the group of Greek speakers that existed before the first divergence happened, namely within the 3rd millennium BCE (there is evidence for that), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Greek_language. Mycenaeans appeared much later, around 1650 BCE and were not the only Greeks in existence. Hence it is wrong to be associating proto-Mycenaeans with proto-Greeks. The Mycenaean language is not the proto-Greek language, but an Aeolic dialect essentially.

Regarding ancient Macedonians. In the opinion of Slavomacedonians (North Macedonia), the ancient Macedonians were Slavs. Opinion doesn't mean anything if it isn't backed by actual evidence. Furthermore, Herodotus claimed that the ancient Macedonians were Greeks.

Proto-Mycenaeans would essentially be an Aeolic group that diverged from the proto-Greek nucleus and essentially merged with the pre-Greek populations. Therefore it would be difficult to determine which was the representative Y-DNA haplogroups of proto-Mycenaeans without evaluating more samples. J2a nonetheless appears to have been one of the predominant haplogroups in the region.

In order to divide who is who, one simple question should be raised here:
Are proto -Greeks related to tumulus burials in the West- Balkans or not?

Consider this as well before you answer.

https://www.persee.fr/doc/mom_2259-4884_2012_act_58_1_3461

IMG_4092.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

I believe that the Proto-Greeks were predominantly R-Z2103+, perhaps Z2103>L584 given its spread and the fact that it is high in modern day Armenians. Linguists have made connections between the Armenian and Greek languages on various occasions.

That would be my guess as well.

IMO...in the ancient world, Thessallians would be the most northern of Greek people on the aegean side......macedonians seem to be a mixed race of Greeks, Paeonians and Thracians .................there is no slav

Last edited:
IMO...in the ancient world, Thessallians would be the most northern of Greek people on the aegean side......macedonians seem to be a mongrel race of Greeks, Paeonians and Thracians .................there is no slav

There is no "MONGREL" race. Everybody is mixed.

Keep discussions to verifiable DATA, i.e. ANCIENT DNA, not baseless speculations.

This is not a thread for such discussion, but to answer your question shortly, we have inscriptions such as the Pella curse tablet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pella_curse_tablet), which represents a North-West Doric dialect. Plus we have mentions of ancient authors such the Roman historian Livy, who wrote of the Macedonians, "Aetolians, Acarnanians, and Macedonians, men speaking the same language" or in Latin "Aetolos, Acarnanas, Macedonas, eiusdem linguae homines", Titus Livius (Livy), The History of Rome, Book 31, chapter 29. Aetolians and Acarnanians spoke a North-West Doric dialect.

Whatever the DNA of people who were walking around in classical Macedonia, it would not deviate much compared to other Greeks. Simply because they were an Ancient Balkanian people living in the South Balkan peninsula. They will have EEF ancestry and they will have some Steppe. Personally I think that north Greeks (not just Macedonians) would have a little bit more of Steppe. But that is more or less irrelevant. They are all part of the same genetic mix in the region.

You logic would perhaps be considered two decades ago. Where some people thought that there were completely unrelated tribes (Greeks, Thracians, Illyrians) in the area. We know now that this is not the case. Exclude the Slavic invasion and most people are genetically reasonably identical to each other. I doubt that you can really distinguish an Ancient Macedonian and an Ancient Epirot or a Thessalian. It would be quite a shocking discovery. It would mean that the Ancient Macedonians were a genetic island in the Balkans. Which automatically means they could not be related to other people in the Balkans either.

So for the Ancient Macedonians, it's all about their self-dentification, language, culture etc. And we all know where that leads to.

In order to divide who is who, one simple question should be raised here:
Are proto -Greeks related to tumulus burials in the West- Balkans or not?

Consider this as well before you answer.

https://www.persee.fr/doc/mom_2259-4884_2012_act_58_1_3461

View attachment 11691

Tumuli burials in Greece are very widespread, with the earliest examples found dated to the EH II period (c.2650–c.2200 BC), https://www.persee.fr/doc/mom_2259-4884_2012_act_58_1_3462. Plus, i don't see how the paper you shared contradicts anything of what i am writing.

IMO...in the ancient world, Thessallians would be the most northern of Greek people on the aegean side......macedonians seem to be a mongrel race of Greeks, Paeonians and Thracians .................there is no slav
Macedonians spoke a North-West Doric dialect as was previously mentioned, most probably with an Aeolic and Phrygian substrate. As they expanded eastwards they surely assimilated a number of Thracian people, but that doesn't say much about Macedonians proper. Last, i don't see why it's so difficult to accept that these people are Greeks considering that they spoke the most conservative dialect of ancient Greek, namely Doric, and they inhabited a region that is considered the proto-Greek region, namely north-western Greece. Anyway, everyone seems to have his/her opinion which doesn't say much by its own.

Last edited:
There are dubious, provocative characters who threatens and insults members, deletes their posts inventing delusional accusations, insults different ethnic groups, insult and excludes members of the forum if they are of a different opinion than they are, even changing members' posts; all at their own discretion, and many of their treaths and insults was deleted afterwards. There are some examples of a borderless naughty and such "scientific beans" are emanating from them everyday: "Are some of you homeless bkz you've been kicked off all the other sites? Fair warning: keep up with the t-roll posts and you'll be out of here in short order, whether it's a bunch of you sickos, or just one sick, twisted jerk with multiple personality disorder. No one is interested in playing your juvenile games." members/28734-Angela "By all means keep down-voting my posts, "Laberia", and "Gidai", and sundry others for other posts. With your reputation scores it turns out you give me points when you do it, if it mattered to me, which it doesn't. :) Now, if it were from people who aren't a byword for idiocy and everything that's wrong with the Balkans, it would be a different story. I guess the truth hurts." members/28734-Angela "And I understand you, you psychotic racist, which is why you're out of here. Let me rephrase. I don't understand what's wrong with the wiring in sick, twisted brains which would deny reality because it throws mud on their white identity. I know them when I see them, however." members/28734-Angela "It's Gidai... He downvotes five or six of my posts everyday, with no rhyme or reason other than that I posted them. As if I care... All he is doing is showing that he has mental health issues..." members/28734-Angela "We've all read your idiotic theories. No one is convinced by them. If you continue to post the same thing over and over again you will receive infractions for spamming. Am I clear???" members/28734-Angela "Could you telegraph that you're a t-roll any more clearly? You know I'm half quasi-Tuscan, and my husband is half Calabrian and so you present calculators that show we're both high in "Jewish" ancestry? So what? Is that supposed to hurt my feelings? (That would be absolutely fine with both me and my husband if it were true, btw.) Go away and find something productive to do with your time other than t-rolling Italians you idiotic racist. Keep going and you'll start getting infractions for posting provocative, disruptive material." members/28734-Angela "It seems Gidai is back as Popa Cristian. Crazy is crazy whatever the name. Do you know what reputation power means? It means how your votes affect someone else's reputation. Yours is zero. Move on. All you do is put yourself and your country in disrepute." members/28734-Angela "It's probably our insane Romanian ex-member under yet another sock. We're working on a permanent solution." members/28734-Angela "Just when did I insult your country and people? (...) You have to really act up to get banned here, but you're well on the road. Do it again and you're out of here. " members/28734-Angela "This is the kind of filth we have to deal with day after day. This deranged Romanian is a perfect example of it. I'm leaving it up so you can see the kind of ethnic slurs and racism that come bubbling up when people can hide behind sock accounts on the internet. " members/28734-Angela "... All you have presented is jumbled,(...) You've also now gotten yourself an infraction. By all means keep it up." members/28734-Angela "You poor young man, don't you tire of showing everyone how crazy you are? Is there no one in your life who can intervene and take you to a doctor?" members/28734-Angela "This retard thinks I'm a peasant... I'm actually a 1%-er This drag on the human race should be allowed to fail, and perish from the face of the earth." members/53388-Jovialis "I am a disgrace to humanity, laugh at the burning car wreck that is my life. Last edited by Jovialis; Today at 02:25. " members/53388-Jovialis "Moderator action: Removal of social reject. Last edited by Jovialis; Today at 16:32. " members/53388-Jovialis ......... and so on... Probably Maciamo, who answered me hard in an email, saying he does not know what is going on!... will be left alone with two psycho naughty cuckoo without limits and without any other members. Maybe only with thousands of fake members, which already represents 99.9% ... such as: kbpenffloancy or Rusyafloancy or Nikorfloancy or kbfyrffloancy or fktrcfylhffloancy or hbqfloancy or dbneczfloancy or timahafloancy or tdrffloancy or dbhffloancy or Perryfloancy or dfktynbrfloancy or Ardisfloancy or qpidnetworkncy or nancyzv1 or gettinghungupfloancy or ybrekffloancy or Arashizilfloancy or dfrffloancy or lilafloancy or Burihelmfloancy or ybrjkfbxfloancy or kbpeiffloancy or Andromathrisfloancy or marinafloancy or fylhjybqfloancy or Gholbizarfloancy Buzatusfloancy or fgjkkbyfhbzfloancy or Sallerfloancy or Lorisfloancy or ufkkffloancy or minutefloancy or esfirkafloancy or byffloancy or Akinozilkreefloancy or trustfloancy or darushafloancy or hbnjffloancy or Agagrinnfloancy or iamfondoffloancy or adyafloancy or marlenkafloancy or yfcnfcm.irffloancy or tiffloancy or lbvffloancy or utzfloancy or or or Ariuswynfloancy or Decembristychfloancy Rogeliofloancy or tvtkmzyfloancy or nfbcrffloancy or rbhbkkbxfloancy or DerBatfloancy or Sarrisfloancy or shirtfloancy or vfhzfloancy or tdljrb.irffloancy or cthueyffloancy or Adrierdinfloancy or geczfloancy or Arsenyfloancy or fylhjiffloancy or kble [ffloancy or cntgfyblrffloancy malefloancy or Goldsongfloancy or Pennyfloancy or lynichfloancy or Hellstafffloancy or Shurenafloancy or palunyafloancy or lfybksxfloancy or Kenethfloancy or fdljrtzfloancy or Vasyunyafloancy or pbyeczfloancy or vfqrffloancy or or or Zatyofloancy or Colondyrfloancy Hellasfloancy or cfyiffloancy or mutafloancy or Galifloancy or daisyfloancy or dbnfkbyrffloancy or Dawnterrorfloancy or nfvffloancy or klvbkfloancy or milyafloancy or artyafloancy or sledgefloancy or vfhktczfloancy or lefhlbrfloancy or fuhbgbyrffloancy or antyafloancy or fyfcnfctzfloancy or atlkzfloancy or Maxfloancy or dfliffloancy or vthrehbzfloancy or ktnzfloancy or kbpfdtnrffloancy or Lesfloancy or alexeicafloancy or yflffloancy or anusfloancy or Dulmaranfloancy or Geletapfloancy or maruhafloancy or rcnffloancy or Mityushafloancy or tdltybqfloancy or ciffloancy or Itananenfloancy or ybrbiffloancy or polesfloancy or ufkbiffloancy or ninokafloancy or nbvjatqrffloancy or fyfcnfcbqfloancy or Jerilynfloancy or Nicolefloancy or deerfloancy or rfnthbyrffloancy or fyffloancy or rtiffloancy or Boryushafloancy or Harnarfloancy or gtnhzqfloancy or Daudtfloancy or iehffloancy or Retouchfloancy or fynzfloancy or ufkczfloancy or Ranesfloancy or gtnheiffloancy or vtktiffloancy or Valyushafloancy or Kolyafloancy or andronfloancy or Kyaroohofloancy or Romulyafloancy or dkflbckfdffloancy or Dianannfloancy or lfybkfloancy or parsleyfloancy or ltybcbqfloancy or Kiryakhafloancy or atlzyzfloancy or ktiffloancy or vfhbvmzyrffloancy or Thorngrenfloancy or fuhbgrffloancy or Ellasfloancy or Anaborfloancy or vbrffloancy or pbyffloancy or AnnyMarsfloancy or Cularenfloancy or rfnffloancy or biffloancy or ktjyfhlfloancy or Famomamnfloancy or Faricofifloancy or Kabandisfloancy or suitefloancy or Anarasiusfloancy or vbktnzfloancy or cntafyffloancy or Androlhalafloancy or aleutinichfloancy or wavingfloancy or Katyurafloancy or daryukhafloancy or Helenafloancy or gtnhfrffloancy or Vasiillafloancy or stepurafloancy or Yuliyafloancy or rjkzyzfloancy or dbnfiffloancy or njveczfloancy or firafloancy or Denafloancy or Beazeziusfloancy or vfhmirffloancy or sergefloancy or kbkbzfloancy or andronicfloancy or rjrffloancy or hfffloancy or Bafymfloancy or klvbksxfloancy or Kimfloancy or Fannyfloancy or cntgfyfloancy or ufkkbbfloancy or Woodhamfloancy utykzfloancy or milenafloancy or cjam.irffloancy or jhziffloancy or Galeyfloancy or Dianafloancy or igoryashafloancy or malyafloancy or atliffloancy or amalafloancy or atjljhffloancy or Dimafloancy or pffhbzfloancy or Efrosimychfloancy or tvffloancy or Volodyuhafloancy or vfhmziffloancy or Valentifloancy or Brenasfloancy or Teshafloancy or or or bekbqfloancy or vbnyzfloancy gtnhznffloancy or dbnfkbzfloancy or uthvfyfloancy or meltingfloancy or shurunyafloancy or artyunyafloancy or xeniafloancy or kmbxfloancy or kbpffloancy or vfrcbvbfyflo ancy or Steviefloancy or Mirohafloancy or Goldclifffloancy or Foderarofloancy or fuhbggbyffloancy or Wilanashfloancy or nfynffloancy or Gavinfloancy or Phillippefloancy or cthubzyfloancy or vfhbfyfloancy or Vanhooserfloancy or ytkzfloancy or rbhbkbxfloancy or lavryushafloancy or Arlelondfloancy or kzfloancy or dfkthbqfloancy or vbrbnffloancy or basiliskfloancy or Chinonfloancy or zinaidkafloancy or androshafloancy or Craryfloancy or ulyankafloancy or Beaulahfloancy or zhankafloancy or fktrcbyffloancy or Heffleyfloancy or Galyafloancy or Juniafloancy or iraidafloancy or rjycnfynbysxfloancy or cabhffloancy or fyutkzfloancy or lfhbzfloancy or cflozlof or spanishwomencuf or spanishwomenccg or spanishwomencny or ukrainewomenccc or ukrainewomencbc or ukrainewomencpq or ukrainewomencks or ukrainewomencjv or ukrainewomencuq or ukrainewomencnh or CindyEncaW or Haroldkency or Florenceparer or ukrainewomencww or ukrainewomencbo or ukrainewomencyb or ukrainewomenceq or GwenCaro73 or ukrainewomencpx or ukrainewomenczs or spanishwomencqo or ukrainewomencwe or spanishwomencux or spanishwomenczw or spanishwomencxh or ukrainewomencwp or spanishwomencfx or latamdatencp or ukrainewomenccz or ukrainewomenciy or spanishwomencns or spanishwomencsn or spanishwomencko or spanishwomencvc or spanishwomenckx or spanishwomencmf or RobertTence or ukrainewomenctu or charmdatereviewsyhy or charmdatereviewsgbb or charmdatereviewspru or charmdatereviewsmlf or charmdatereviewsojl or charmdatereviewsqit or charmdatereviewsuwz or charmdatereviewsizv or charmdatereviewsbam or charmdatereviewsyhh or charmdatereviewswcs or waredogarev83 or charmdatereviewsakh or charmdatereviewstob or hyrevomalep88 or charmdatereviewsusd or charmdatereviewshol or charmdatereviewshpg or charmdatereviewsdck or curevomasek04 or surevodatej41 or charmdatereviewstet or charmdatereviewsqmf or charmdatereviewsrgw or charmdatereviewsmnx or charmdatereviewsiys or charmdatereviewsoih or charmdatereviewstnj or charmdatereviewsvdi or charmdatereviewsipb or charmdatereviewsgtk or charmdatereviewsohh or charmdatereviewsjye or charmdatereviewssoy or charmdatereviewsfuz or charmdatereviewsznu or gruzoperevozzsen or charmdatereviewsgpp or charmdatereviewsxav or charmdatereviewspey or charmdatereviewscbx or charmdatereviewsspn or charmdatereviewskwo or charmdatereviewsbqz or charmdatereviewsrxc or charmdatereviewsjeb or charmdatereviewsixk or charmdatereviewsemy or charmdatereviewsvyy or charmdatereviewsizt or charmdatereviewstho or charmdatereviewsysi or charmdatereviewswwk or charmdatereviewsmde or charmdatereviewspia or charmdatereviewsnxa or charmdatereviewsuki or charmdatereviewsvaf or Lucasdrevy or charmdatereviewswrj or charmdatereviewslfn or charmdatereviewstym or charmdatereviewsttf or charmdatereviewsivl or charmdatereviewsdrc or charmdatereviewsoov or charmdatereviewsoca or charmdatereviewstiu or charmdatereviewsqbm or charmdatereviewsumi or charmdatereviewstvt or charmdatereviewshaa or charmdatereviewsrnw or charmdatereviewsptn or charmdatereviewspqa or charmdatereviewscer or charmdatereviewsdsk or charmdatereviewsqdr or charmdatereviewsdte or charmdatereviewsypq or charmdatereviewsmby or charmdatereviewsbbn or charmdatereviewsdej or charmdatereviewseiw or charmdatereviewsdkv or charmdatereviewsvii or charmdatereviewswkz or charmdatereviewssva or charmdatereviewstiq or charmdatereviewspla or charmdatereviewsopf or charmdatereviewspkk or charmdatereviewszjj or charmdatereviewsizn or charmdatereviewsknj or charmdatereviewsobb or charmdatereviewsxss or charmdatereviewsztk or charmdatereviewsemg or charmdatereviewsang or charmdatereviewsziu or charmdatereviewssha or charmdatereviewscsd or charmdatereviewshot or charmdatereviewssdu or charmdatereviewsuhw or charmdatereviewsmgk or charmdatereviewssli or charmdatereviewsblz or charmdatereviewsakq or charmdatereviewsnug or charmdatereviewsebd or charmdatereviewsaem or charmdatereviewsorb or charmdatereviewsuhr or charmdatereviewsvtg or charmdatereviewsrmj or charmdatereviewsrdb or charmdatereviewsnbt or charmdatereviewslbv or charmdatereviewsgga or charmdatereviewspmw or charmdatereviewsrsb or charmdatereviewskwb or charmdatereviewsoes or charmdatereviewsszk or charmdatereviewsqeq or charmdatereviewsthd or charmdatereviewsdoi or charmdatereviewsyts or charmdatereviewscze or charmdatereviewsvpt or charmdatereviewscfc or charmdatereviewsofj or charmdatereviewshan or charmdatereviewsxbw or charmdatereviewskjw or charmdatereviewswfq or charmdatereviewsgok or charmdatereviewsxyn or charmdatereviewsvkh or charmdatereviewsbap or charmdatereviewsiwc or charmdatereviewsolq or charmdatereviewsive or charmdatereviewsdlp or charmdatereviewskmh or charmdatereviewsdbw or charmdatereviewscjp or charmdatereviewskwv or charmdatereviewssdm or charmdatereviewsfsi or charmdatereviewssyn or charmdatereviewscaw or charmdatereviewsfwu or charmdatereviewsqtx or lyrevohagef18 or charmdatereviewsjgj or charmdatereviewswqh or charmdatereviewslhu or charmdatereviewssng or charmdatereviewsnfq or charmdatereviewscvu or charmdatereviewsdij or charmdatereviewskpp or charmdatereviewsmys or charmdatereviewswnh or charmdatereviewsmtc or charmdatereviewsdsl ... and so on........

What is this crap all over the board?!

Macedonians spoke a North-West Doric dialect as was previously mentioned, most probably with an Aeolic and Phrygian substrate. As they expanded eastwards they surely assimilated a number of Thracian people, but that doesn't say much about Macedonians proper. Last, i don't see why it's so difficult to accept that these people are Greeks considering that they spoke the most conservative dialect of ancient Greek, namely Doric, and they inhabited a region that is considered the proto-Greek region, namely north-western Greece. Anyway, everyone seems to have his/her opinion which doesn't say much by its own.

Then are the 14 ancient Epirote tribes related to Doric since they are in the same area?

If so, then are Epirotes related to Macedonian only linguistically or also ethnically

You do realise Macedonia ( ancient ) is north east of Greece

For those interested in phenotypic data:
The actual snp data is on page 59 of the Supplement.
https://images.nature.com/full/nature-assets/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/extref/nature23310-s1.pdf
View attachment 8993
"Present-day Europeans are almost fixed for the derived (light pigmentation) allele G atrs1426654, but the ancestral allele occurred in western European hunter-gatherers3,4. Werecord no copy of the ancestral allele in 9 individuals with at least one sequence. We alsoexamined the rs16891982 SNP in SLC45A2, the second strongest signal of selection inEuropeans discovered in a genome-wide scan3. The overall frequency of the C allele could beestimated as 24% (C.I.: 8-47%) in the Aegean Bronze Age. The frequency of the minor Callele in present-day Greeks is 14% (95% C.I.: 11-17%)5. The C allele has decreased infrequency in eastern Europe6 or Europe in general3 due to likely selection since the BronzeAge, but with the available data, the Bronze Age frequency is consistent with its modernprevalence."
"Classic blond hair has been associated with the C allele in the rs12821256 SNP in KITLG9.We have reads covering this site in 11 individuals and do not detect the C allele."
"The rs12913832 SNP in HERC2 is a major determinant of blue eye color in humans7. Thefrequency of the A allele could be estimated as 86% (C.I.: 64-98%) in the Bronze AgeAegean. The G allele was present in Anatolia since Neolithic times3and our results suggest itspresence in all studied Bronze Age groups at a low frequency."
"These results suggest that ancient Bronze Age individuals from the Aegean and southwesternAnatolia had mostly dark (brown or black) hair and brown eyes. Blue eyes were uncommonas predicted by the lack of homozygotes for the G allele at rs12913832 which is the majorpredictor of this trait, however, this allele did occur in all studied populations (Table S4.1),thus the phenotype would have been uncommon but not unknown in the region. The browneye phenotype is still the most common in present-day Greeks occurring in ~3/4 of them, withthe remainder split between blue and intermediate shades1. Similarly, ~79% of present-dayGreeks have light or dark brown hair, with the remainder split between blond and black."
So much for blonde-blue eyed Mycenaeans.
I guess this reconstruction of the Mycenaean "Griffin warrior" may be pretty accurate, despite all the naysayers.
Facial-Reconstruction-Griffin-Warrior.jpg

Angela pretty interesting face, it does look like around 25% south Italians, Greeks and Albanians lol (no offense please)
If this would be somewhat accurate to mycenaeneans face, and as curent dna sugest mostly j2a then can we research more about this 2 HYPOTHESIS?

1. "The Mycenaeneans are pretty much different with the majority of current Greeks Albanians and to some extent Bulgarians" ?

2. "THe Mycenaeneans with all their archaeology attributes were actually invaders with a population of not more than 20% who came through Anatolia or from around Anatolia" ?

I think this correlates more with @maciamo theory although he mentions r1b z1203, and less with this study that current Greeks are highly related with Mycenaeneans

Can we find any link or maybe any correlation of this Study with this Language study one?...it is very detailed indeed
https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1001555

The Signal of History
As we have shown, patterns of IBD provide ample but noisy geographic and temporal signals, which can then be connected to historical events. Rigorously making such connections is difficult, due to the complex recent history of Europe, controversy about the demographic significance of many events, and uncertainties in inferring the ages of common ancestors. Nonetheless, our results can be plausibly connected to several historical and demographic events.

The migration period.
One of the striking patterns we see is the relatively high level of sharing of IBD between pairs of individuals across eastern Europe, as high or higher than that observed within other, much smaller populations. This is consistent with these individuals having a comparatively large proportion of ancestry drawn from a relatively small population that expanded over a large geographic area. The “smooth” estimates of Figure 4 (and more generally Figures 5 and S17) suggest that this increase in ancestry stems from around 1,000–2,000 ya, since during this time pairs of eastern individuals are expected to share a substantial number of common ancestors, while this is only true of pairs of noneastern individuals if they are from the same population. For example, even individuals from widely separated eastern populations share about the same amount of IBD as do two Irish individuals (see Figure S3), suggesting that this ancestral population may have been relatively small.This evidence is consistent with the idea that these populations derive a substantial proportion of their ancestry from various groups that expanded during the “migration period” from the fourth through ninth centuries [51]. This period begins with the Huns moving into eastern Europe towards the end of the fourth century, establishing an empire including modern-day Hungary and Romania, and continues in the fifth century as various Germanic groups moved into and ruled much of the western Roman empire. This was followed by the expansion of the Slavic populations into regions of low population density beginning in the sixth century, reaching their maximum by the 10th century [52]. The eastern populations with high rates of IBD are highly coincident with the modern distribution of Slavic languages, so it is natural to speculate that much of the higher rates were due to this expansion. The inclusion of (non-Slavic speaking) Hungary and Romania in the group of eastern populations sharing high IBD could indicate the effect of other groups (e.g., the Huns) on ancestry in these regions, or because some of the same group of people who elsewhere are known as Slavs adopted different local cultures in those regions. Greece and Albania are also part of this putative signal of expansion, which could be because the Slavs settled in part of these areas (with unknown demographic effect), or because of subsequent population exchange. However, additional work and methods would be needed to verify this hypothesis.

Or even this Study, although this is Neolithic and much Early period and probably would not have any link with Minoans or
Mycenaeans
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2015/02/10/013433.full.pdf

Last edited:
You did not answer the question:
Are proto -Greeks related to tumulus burials in the West- Balkans (Eastern Adriatic)or not?

Probably no in terms of proto-Greeks, bearing in mind that we find the earliest examples located near the sea or rivers, not in the mainland, suggesting maritime expansion. Indeed the paper i shared has the following to say, "As a foreign element, it was adopted by and assimilated into the local EBA cultural environments and dynamics, possibly through contacts with cultures in the West Balkans and the Adriatic, or because of the arrival of Balkan populations on the Adriatic coast. This suggests a development of a commercial network for controlling access to the metal producing regions or to the circulation networks of metals and their finished products, and the establishment of small, newly developed social groups at key sites, from where they could trade, these groups being connected through family and economic ties with other local or foreign groups. This may explain the first occurence of tumuli in sites in Western Greece and the eastern Peloponnese, such as Lefkas, Olympia and Lerna, which served as intermediary stops in various exchange networks embracing the Aegean, Anatolia, the central Mediterranean, the Balkans and the Adriatic.". Later examples though are evidently Mycenaean. Plus, this aforementioned contact with the West Balkans and the Adriatic during the EBA, is most probably with the Vučedol culture, with which appears to have been trade relations, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vu%C4%8Dedol_culture#Trade_with_other_cultures. Some had even suggested that the "Megaron" was adopted by Mycenaeans from Vučedol, but there is evidence which show that Megarons were common in Greece from the Neolithic. Look for example this small presentation of the settlement of Dimini in Greece, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odfqc3gvMyY.

But your question is out of context in terms of the paper you shared. The tumuli of northern Greece, namely the ones of Epirus are dated to the LBA, and the paper you shared clearly states in the "Conclusion", "Epirus is out of the picture during this period and remains so until the LBA. The tumuli of Epirus seem to have more affinities with southern Greek tumuli and exhibit characteristics that are probably archaizing for LH southern Greece (twin vessels, apsidal/horse-shoe shaped constructions, orthostatic periboloi).". Plus, taking into account that these respective tumuli were unearthed in Ephyra and Pogoni, the former of them being the main Mycenaean centre in Epirus, shows that these were certainly a Mycenaean influence. Here is also a map with all known Mycenaean sites in Epirus, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/EpirusMycynaen.jpg.

Then are the 14 ancient Epirote tribes related to Doric since they are in the same area?

If so, then are Epirotes related to Macedonian only linguistically or also ethnically

You do realise Macedonia ( ancient ) is north east of Greece
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Regarding the 14 Epirotic tribes, we know they spoke a North-West Doric dialect, we have many records such as inscriptions and coins. Epirotes are differentiated from the Macedonians, but probably Macedonians became Doric speakers after an Epirotic tribe from Argos Orestiko migrated eastwards, to an Aeolic and Phrygian original area. In a similar fashion, that there was an Epirotic migration of Thesprotians to Thessaly. Last, the ancient Macedon is north-central Greece, but before that Macedonians proper most probably came from the Pindus mountain range, namely the region of Argos Orestiko.

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Regarding the 14 Epirotic tribes, we know they spoke a North-West Doric dialect, we have many records such as inscriptions and coins. Epirotes are differentiated from the Macedonians, but probably Macedonians became Doric speakers after an Epirotic tribe from Argos Orestiko migrated eastwards, to an Aeolic and Phrygian original area. In a similar fashion, that there was an Epirotic migration of Thesprotians to Thessaly. Last, the ancient Macedon is north-central Greece, but before that Macedonians proper most probably came from the Pindus mountain range, namely the region of Argos Orestiko.

ok, so you see the area of the 3 fingers as north east
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Daco-Thracian_peoples_and_tribes

So, epirotes and macedonians spoke a North-West Doric language/dialect ? ........................then does that not make them similar

This thread has been viewed 1161958 times.

Back