Genetic Origins of Minoans and Mycenaeans

The Fallmerayer theory was promoted by Nazis to abuse Greeks for apparent Slavic admixture, it is a fact.

So if the 'Fallmerayer theory' turned out to be correct, would that justify Nazi actions? No, obviously not, so it's irrelevant.

To prove him wrong, who is he? God?

I trust more in what the actual papers say.

He laid down a statement (an hypothesis), to prove that wrong, studies of the Greek population from Mycenaean to modern are needed. You said it yourself in other post “can compare modern with ancient”. You have to see what happened in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

whatever, it's better to leave Nazi's out of the discussion, let's stick to the facts

So if the 'Fallmerayer theory' turned out to be correct, would that justify Nazi actions? No, obviously not, so it's irrelevant.
It is relevant when a man who dislikes Greeks uses sophistry to "prove it".

He is not saying they left no trace, he is saying they are heavily Slavic, combined with recent-Cypriots, which is preposterous.

Why? It is a theory promoted by them, so I think it is salient to the conversation. The Fallmerayer theory was promoted by Nazis to abuse Greeks for apparent Slavic admixture, it is a fact.

It wasn't just Greeks, but other Slavs and Slav-mixed people in the Balkans were brutally murdered by Nazis, because they were considered sub-human.

The mix of Nazis and genetic is explosive. People have different reason for defending or promoting a certain idea. It’s is more productive to focus on the idea true or wrong, than on the reasons. Depending what is considered heavy, I will expected high in lowlands and low in the mountains, as in Albania.

I think we might have gone off track, this thread feels a bit like facebook, youtube comments at this point.

I think this thread needs a clean up for the last couple of comments.
Jovialis you can even start with this one.
Then we all can pick were we left off, discussing genetics.

I think we might have gone off track, this thread feels a bit like facebook, youtube comments at this point.

I think this thread needs a clean up for the last couple of comments.
Jovialis you can even start with this one.
Then we all can pick were we left off, discussing genetics.

I agree

We are not off track.

We are discussing the eurogenes opinion of the formation of modern Greeks, that matches the Fallmerayer theory. If it makes people uncomfortable and triggered that Nazis believed it too, well I don't care. This is supposedly a beautiful thing according to Davidiski.

b408M9c.png

I am not uncomfortable at all. My mind is open. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
So which part of the Davidski post do you disagree with?

I haven't even read the Nazi propagandas or the author from the 1800s they were supporting since I do not need more propaganda in my life. If Lazaridis says that Greeks along with Albanians, Cypriots and Italians are closest to these ancient populations, I take the data, use my brain and come to the same conclusion.

But now tell me beside the fact you think Nazis argued what Davidski is, what point of the quoted statement you posed you disagree with and why?

Lazaridis argues there is Mycenean component.
History tells us there were population swaps between Anatolia (Ottoman Empire) and Greece.
We have historical sources for the Slavic migrations to the area.

I am trying to wrap my head around which part of that statement is incorrect?

"That's a very optimistic view. In fact, there's no evidence whatsoever in the paper that there's even 1% genetic continuity between present-day Greeks and any ancient Greek population, let alone the MBA northern Aegeans." - Davidski
0BDO2GV.png

That's some serious delusion. Not even 1%? LMAO. I wonder why he is so salty at Greeks. The name of the post too," beware of Greeks bearing gifts" :LOL::LOL::LOL: . That is cringe.
The very paper of this post proves some continuity.
Then this paper "The genomic history of the Aegean palatial civilizations" https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867421003706 proves continuity, which he even quoted.
Don't know what to say.

I am not uncomfortable at all. My mind is open. Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.
So which part of the Davidski post do you disagree with?

I haven't even read the Nazi propagandas or the author from the 1800s they were supporting since I do not need more propaganda in my life. If Lazaridis says that Greeks along with Albanians, Cypriots and Italians are closest to these ancient populations, I take the data, use my brain and come to the same conclusion.

But now tell me beside the fact you think Nazis argued what Davidski is, what point of the quoted statement you posed you disagree with and why?

Lazaridis argues there is Mycenean component.
History tells us there were population swaps between Anatolia (Ottoman Empire) and Greece.
We have historical sources for the Slavic migrations to the area.

I am trying to wrap my head around which part of that statement is incorrect?

Why do the academic studies support continuity, with only some dilution than? There is no doubt some admixture from Slavs. But to suggest that the authors are wrong, many of whom are not Greek (so you can't claim bias there), is frankly pathetic. Also, which Greeks are we talking about? There is no doubt more Slavic admixture in the north, but all modernGreeks? Furthermore, I'd like to see those historical sources.

"That's a very optimistic view. In fact, there's no evidence whatsoever in the paper that there's even 1% genetic continuity between present-day Greeks and any ancient Greek population, let alone the MBA northern Aegeans." - Davidski
0BDO2GV.png

That's some serious delusion. Not even 1%? LMAO. I wonder why he is so salty at Greeks. The name of the post too," beware of Greeks bearing gifts" :LOL::LOL::LOL: . That is cringe.
The very paper of this post proves some continuity.
Then this paper "The genomic history of the Aegean palatial civilizations" https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867421003706 proves continuity, which he even quoted.
Don't know what to say.
See what I mean now?

That's some serious delusion. Not even 1%? LMAO. I wonder why he is so salty at Greeks. The name of the post too," beware of Greeks bearing gifts" :LOL::LOL::LOL: .

Davidski wrote in (2017) "I can't wait for more ancient DNA from Greece and Italy, especially from the Bronze and Iron Ages. Based on my experiences with many Greeks and Italians, it's sure to be a big eye opener for them, and a beautiful thing..."

What ever his experiences are, I don't think he means it in a good way. Which is why I think he is being bias. This is a man who questions even 1% of continuity, as if the Ancient Greeks were all kidnapped by aliens, and the entire country was re-populated by Slavs and recent-Cypriots.

He doesn't even consider the fact that maybe they don't line-up on the PCA, could be due partly to genetic drift. We have seen from the Iceland paper, that a population can markedly change from it's founder populations, without any admixture events, overtime.

Why do the academic studies support continuity, with only some dilution than? There is no doubt some admixture from Slavs. But to suggest that the authors are wrong, many of whom are not Greek (so you can't claim bias there), is frankly pathetic. Also, which Greeks are we talking about? There is no doubt more Slavic admixture in the north, but all modernGreeks? Furthermore, I'd like to see those historical sources.

Yo, Jovialis. I asked you about the quote. The quote didn't even mention continuity. I am not defending Davidski here. As you should know by now we kind of are backing the same horse(hypothesis) here.

The quote stated Myceneans + Anatolians/Levant imigrants + Slavs.
And it all checks out.
As for the 0 genetic continuity from his other quotes, you can see my response to that in the previous post, aka :facepalm: .

RHf00zW.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_exchange_between_Greece_and_Turkey

snbMecd.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_migrations_to_the_Balkans

Let me know if you want more sources.

PS: 1.22 Million "Orthodox Greeks" came from Anatolia in a single exchange as close to today as 1922. The 400 000 "Turkish Muslims" were mostly Albanians. You do the math 1.2/5.3mln how much dilution that is.

Yo, Jovialis. I asked you about the quote. The quote didn't even mention continuity. I am not defending Davidski here. As you should know by now we kind of are backing the same horse(hypothesis) here.

The quote stated Myceneans + Anatolians/Levant imigrants + Slavs.
And it all checks out.
As for the 0 genetic continuity from his other quotes, you can see my response to that in the previous post, aka :facepalm: .

RHf00zW.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_exchange_between_Greece_and_Turkey

snbMecd.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_migrations_to_the_Balkans

Let me know if you want more sources.

PS: 1.22 Million "Orthodox Greeks" came from Anatolia in a single exchange as close to today as 1922. The 400 000 "Turkish Muslims" were mostly Albanians.

No, I was addressing that point, this study (Lazaridis et al. 2017) determines this:

Modern Greeks resemble the Mycenaeans, but with some additional dilution of the Early Neolithic ancestry. Our results support the idea of continuity but not isolation in the history of populations of the Aegean, before and after the time of its earliest civilizations.

We know from other places in the world, that just because these invasions and population movements happen, it doesn't mean there is a significant change to the population. For example, the Lombards did not leave much of a genetic impact on Northern Italy.

No, I was addressing that point, this study (Lazaridis et al. 2017) determines this:

Modern Greeks resemble the Mycenaeans, but with some additional dilution of the Early Neolithic ancestry. Our results support the idea of continuity but not isolation in the history of populations of the Aegean, before and after the time of its earliest civilizations.

We know from other places in the world, that just because these invasions and population movements happen, it doesn't mean there is a significant change to the population. For example, the Lombards did not leave much of a genetic impact on Northern Italy.

Then I guess we are in agreement. Not that it matters when 2 papers now confirm what we both are saying.

T5yxpq3.png

https://reich.hms.harvard.edu/sites/reich.hms.harvard.edu/files/inline-files/nature23310_0.pdf

"Present-day Greeks - who also carry Steppe-related ancestry - share ~90% of their ancestry with MBA northern Aegeans, suggesting continuity between the two time periods."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867421003706

See we can discuss these things without brining up Nazi's and their propaganda. And also future readers of the thread wont be confused and agitated by emotional appeals.
Who really cares what some "anthropologist" in the 1800s said, or what Hitler used as propaganda to murder people.
This way we separate the wheat from the chaff.

Jovialis
Can you explain to me his (davidski)
Motives u know he admire the steppe propganda and we were great r1a and all...
But how does it connect to modern greeks
They do have some slavic admixture and part
Of there steppe should be partly from slavic migrations...
Remember that davidski is polish ( west slav by himself)
So how is he connected to fallmerayer propaganda

Then I guess we are in agreement. Not that it matters when 2 papers now confirm what we both are saying.

T5yxpq3.png

https://reich.hms.harvard.edu/sites/reich.hms.harvard.edu/files/inline-files/nature23310_0.pdf

"Present-day Greeks - who also carry Steppe-related ancestry - share ~90% of their ancestry with MBA northern Aegeans, suggesting continuity between the two time periods."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867421003706

See we can discuss these things without brining up Nazi's and their propaganda. And also future readers of the thread wont be confused and agitated by emotional appeals.
Who really cares what some "anthropologist" in the 1800s said, or what Hitler used as propaganda to murder people.
This way we separate the wheat from the chaff.

Pardon me, but there are no emotional appeals when pointing out that there are bias analysis from people like Eurogenes. I find the last part of your post condescending.

We have actually been over this topic before in this thread, btw. It just needed to be clamped down on again.

The only emotional appeals I see are people that cry about subjects that make them uncomfortable, begging to change the topic.

Just so people here don't think I am picking on the poor little German Nazis, there were plenty of Italians that murdered Slavs in the Balkans as well. Not a proud history!

9NjXyQn.jpg

An emaciated male inmate suffering from severe malnutrition at the Italian Rab concentration camp on the island of Rab in what is now Croatia. This camp largely detained Slavs.

This thread has been viewed 1162063 times.

Back