Genetic Origins of Minoans and Mycenaeans

Facial-Reconstruction-Griffin-Warrior.jpg

He looks like Nikos Kourkoulis.

Yet not a single "Steppic" yDNA found among them. The only Steppic thing found among them was some little EHG (which could have came via the Caucasus anyways) and a female mtDNA.

So either there was some J lineage among the Steppic cultures we don't know off yet, or Mycenian comes from a culture that is not located in the Steppes.

maybe Maykop was haplo J as well, and maybe they spread IE to the steppe, and Anatolian branch never got to the steppe
still, it does not explain why Mycenians spoke IE and had chariots, and Minoans did not and had not
and Mycenian IE was not Anatolian

I don't think these haplo J that spread bronze to Anatolia and the Levant spoke IE, otherwise there would be more IE in SW Asia today

on the other hand .. why is there still so much Afroasiatic in SW Asia ?
it looks like the incoming chalcolitic and bronze age J switched language in the Levant

I thought curly hair had African background.... Ev13

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

in caucasos in some parts the curly hair is more than african grape style,

all over J2 is expand curly hair is significant %

Xηπαναγης

palia3.jpg

Αλεξανδρος ο Μεγας
Αlexandros

alexstat.jpg

maybe Παριος
R-4268466-1360230874-3066.jpeg.jpg

what about Kokkotas?

x240-BgR.jpg

Alexander looks like a Western European thick skull, soft lips, sharpy nose, long wavy hair.

These phenotypes have probably been in Greece for a very long time. Bad news for Nordicists and Fallmerayer types who say today's Greeks are little or nothing more than Hellenized Slavs, Albanians, Turks and others.

@Dov @Ygorbr
The linking of steppe cultures to known IE branches in the south in not so easy as we need to count there with Anatolian, Greek, Armenian, Thracian and others... the Asiatic IE expansion is more easy to find out as it only involves a branch (Tocharian nobody knows from which planet they came and when).

Moreover for the Greek-Iranic issue may be it was not different cultures but different economies: protogreeks farming and protoindoiranians herding and roaming around.

I'd assume none or few of these cultures had one exclusive language, but rather a dialect continuum of closely related dialects/languages. Linguistic diversity tended to be very big even within the same linguistic area in the past. For a rough comparison with another ancient pre-urban society, the Tupi-Guarani expansion in Brazil through a territory half as large as Europe is dated to the 1st millennium AD, but by the time the Portuguese came they were already speaking hundreds of different but similar Tupi-Guarani languages. So, considering that we don't have documents from Proto-Armenian and Proto-Daco-Thracian or Proto-Phrygian, I'd assume they were quite closely related to Proto-Greek and part of the same dialect continuum within one of those cultures or neighboring steppe-derived cultures. The case for Anatolian, though, remains a lot more complicated, and it also must take into account earlier cultures, not as late as 2,000 BC in the Balkans.

Alexander looks like a Western European thick skull, soft lips, sharpy nose, long wavy hair.

oh really? since when? wavy hair is mark of West or North Europe?
in fact if the mycenean reconstruction was brown and turn few anglle " his head I see much connectivity

oh really? since when? wavy hair is mark of West or North Europe?
in fact if the mycenean reconstruction was brown and turn few anglle " his head I see much connectivity
Wasnt he blonde?

Physical appearance of Alexander

Greek biographer Plutarch (c. 45–120 AD) describes Alexander's appearance as:

¹ The outward appearance of Alexander is best represented by the statues of him which Lysippus made, and it was by this artist alone that Alexander himself thought it fit that he should be modelled. ² For those peculiarities which many of his successors and friends afterwards tried to imitate, namely, the poise of the neck, which was bent slightly to the left, and the melting glance of his eyes, this artist has accurately observed. ³ Apelles, however, in painting him as wielder of the thunder-bolt, did not reproduce his complexion, but made it too dark and swarthy. Whereas he was of a fair colour, as they say, and his fairness passed into ruddiness on his breast particularly, and in his face. 4 Moreover, that a very pleasant odour exhaled from his skin and that there was a fragrance about his mouth and all his flesh, so that his garments were filled with it, this we have read in the Memoirs of Aristoxenus.

pleasant odour exhaled from his skin and that there was a fragrance about his mouth and all his flesh?? isn't that a bit too idealized? I've never encountered anyone with that ability.

Roman copy of a herma by Lysippos

AlexandreLouvre.jpg

No problem. I would like to see what statues of other famous Greeks would like colored in too.

Here's an avatar version I made.

Alexander

6ffd345ae411d909974a19709ba01b53.jpg

Cleopatra
9147067d4f506a8174406584145b4c28--on-my-own-famous-women.jpg

I find the the above two quite accurate. I think the Mycenean face is too darkish.

These phenotypes have probably been in Greece for a very long time. Bad news for Nordicists and Fallmerayer types who say today's Greeks are little or nothing more than Hellenized Slavs, Albanians, Turks and others.
This isn't so. For 2000 years there have been numerous migrations and invasions.
This Ottoman success paved the way for Gazi Hüseyin Pasha, the local commander, to conquer the eastern half of the island, except for the fortress of Siteia. The Venetians and the local population suffered some grievous losses: it is estimated that by 1648, almost 40% of the Cretan population had perished of disease or warfare, and in 1677, the island's pre-war population of ca. 260,000 had dropped to about 80,000.

Physical appearance of Alexander

Greek biographer Plutarch (c. 45–120 AD) describes Alexander's appearance as:

¹ The outward appearance of Alexander is best represented by the statues of him which Lysippus made, and it was by this artist alone that Alexander himself thought it fit that he should be modelled. ² For those peculiarities which many of his successors and friends afterwards tried to imitate, namely, the poise of the neck, which was bent slightly to the left, and the melting glance of his eyes, this artist has accurately observed. ³ Apelles, however, in painting him as wielder of the thunder-bolt, did not reproduce his complexion, but made it too dark and swarthy. Whereas he was of a fair colour, as they say, and his fairness passed into ruddiness on his breast particularly, and in his face. 4 Moreover, that a very pleasant odour exhaled from his skin and that there was a fragrance about his mouth and all his flesh, so that his garments were filled with it, this we have read in the Memoirs of Aristoxenus.

pleasant odour exhaled from his skin and that there was a fragrance about his mouth and all his flesh?? isn't that a bit too idealized? I've never encountered anyone with that ability.

Roman copy of a herma by Lysippos

According to Plutarch's accounts, Perhaps something a little more like this than?

tTp6BTJ.png

Nevertheless, I'm sure he could tan in the sun to be like the other version.

Which is probably what he looked like when he was creating his empire. The sun can also lighten hair, which is probably why he has a few blonde streaks, in this battle depiction.
Htt5RA2m.jpg

Also, that fragrance thing sort of reminds me of Kim Jung Un would use for propaganda. Most likely, it was intended to lionize Alexander, even further in history.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...n/news-story/80db7a6f05eed86cec7d1a82a8ade25d

Also, that fragrance thing sort of reminds me of Kim Jung Un would use for propaganda. Most likely, it was intended to lionize Alexander, even further in history.
Don't compare Kim Jung Un with Alexander, please.

This thread has been viewed 1161724 times.

Back