Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Rules for cooking pasta

Quote Originally Posted by Regio X View Post
    Sorry if it is off-topic, but this is funny. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL0rdPcqEOc
    This is good too.

Lo spaghetto deve essere come l'amore, sano ! ah ah

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Regio X View Post
    I've seen some episodes. They're really great.
    I have the impression it changed among oriundi as well. Even my 80 years old mom has not been doing it. Well, she left her homeland, which makes even more difficult to keep traditions. I remember she herself sometimes did the pastas (tortei being the most common) and other "Italian" foods, but I cannot remember the last time she did it. It must have been many, many years ago.
    Oriundi from the country, "rural", used to produce their own pastas, but I bet even those must buy part of the pastas they eat now.
    Agnolini soup was my favorite dish in my youth, especially the one done by my maternal grandfather. He was not great in making wine, but he certainly used to do good pastas and cheeses.
    I just had this idea. I'll propose to my mom a celebration with some homemade pasta when this pandemia ends. :)
    Cheers.
    I'm the one who broke the chain in my family. I only make my own pasta a couple of times a year, for the holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc. I'm able to do that, however, because we have an Italian market a mile away where a recent immigrant from Italy makes it, and I can just buy it. If that wasn't available I would make it more often, because some dishes just require it, like tagliatelle with ragu alla bolognese or with mushrooms, or lasagne, or ravioli. If you don't keep up with making it you'll lose your "touch". So much of it, like baking bread, is muscle memory.

Ah, I love that nonna. All her videos come through my feed now and I watch them all.

That doofus passed the ketchup test but then HE CUT THE SPAGHETTI!

My father had a thing about people who poured the wine backhanded too, and the very idea of grated cheese on fish pastas or risottos. When we were in Italy and he saw the waiter refuse to serve it that way to the client he was extraordinarily pleased with his and the owner's resolve. We have protect our tradition, and basta. Same with the no cappuccino after around 11AM. It would curdle your stomach.

My husband could never get over how often my parents spoke about their livers, and what was good for them and bad for them. He once said to me: I never even remember I have one, or what it does.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I'm the one who broke the chain in my family. I only make my own pasta a couple of times a year, for the holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc. I'm able to do that, however, because we have an Italian market a mile away where a recent immigrant from Italy makes it, and I can just buy it. If that wasn't available I would make it more often, because some dishes just require it, like tagliatelle with ragu alla bolognese or with mushrooms, or lasagne, or ravioli. If you don't keep up with making it you'll lose your "touch". So much of it, like baking bread, is muscle memory.

Ah, I love that nonna. All her videos come through my feed now and I watch them all.

That doofus passed the ketchup test but then HE CUT THE SPAGHETTI!

My father had a thing about people who poured the wine backhanded too, and the very idea of grated cheese on fish pastas or risottos. When we were in Italy and he saw the waiter refuse to serve it that way to the client he was extraordinarily pleased with his and the owner's resolve. We have protect our tradition, and basta. Same with the no cappuccino after around 11AM. It would curdle your stomach.

My husband could never get over how often my parents spoke about their livers, and what was good for them and bad for them. He once said to me: I never even remember I have one, or what it does.
    Lol Good one.

But now I'm embarassed. I know about the correct time for cappuccino, but when it comes to this habit I'm not like Italians. Actually, anytime is time for a cappuccino for me, with the exception of the night. I usually take it at afternoon too, or after lunch, and there's nothing I can do about it. Lol On the other hand, Brazilians usually have it with chocolate and other stuff (cinnamon, whipped cream etc.). No problem. But I do prefer the traditional. Anyway, cappuccino obviously is not something that the N. Italian immigrants brought with them to my Serra Gaúcha. :)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

(I would’ve) ... they will tell you that any milk left is for the children just in case they order it :)

The thing is that around noon or so, the bars get ready for the aperitivo and they have already cleaned and sanitized those parts of the machine for steaming the milk.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 members found this post helpful.
    Orecchiette alla Barese, for dinner tonight.

Rapini, sausage, and orecchiette pasta. It was delicious! I also put some of my minced cayenne peppers in olive oil on it, with pecorino.

Last edited by Jovialis; 25-11-20 at 06:47.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456