Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
Apparently they've recently tested more male relatives of the famous inventor.

Google Translated:

"The Serbian-American inventor Nikola Tesla most probably does not belong to the haplogroup I-CTS10228. The first tested Tesla with haplogroup I2a is most likely the descendant of a man who entered Tesla and got the last name of Tesla through the female line. The man's name was Kalinic.

The tested second Tesla was tested two months ago and belongs to the haplogroup R1a-M458 and has a family tree and is directly related to Nikola Tesla by the male line. Direct ancestor of Tesla belonging to R1a and grandfather of Nikola Tesla were born brothers.

We will have to wait to test another or possibly two Tesla to have a final confirmation. However, it is almost certain that Nikola Tesla had a haplogroup R1a. Because Tesla was tested in close association with Nikola Tesla, four knees (?) share them with common ancestors.

Tested Tesla's 2 test done at Belgrade's Serbia, DNA lab. The result is:

DYS393, DYS390, DYS19, DYS385a, DYS385b, DYS439, DYS389i, DYS392, DYS389ii, DYS458, DYS437, DYS448, YGATAH4, DYS456, DYS576, DYS570, DYS438, DYS481, DYS549, DYS533, DYS635, DYS643

13 25 16 10 11-14--12 13 11 29 16-----14 20------11--17-19 21---11 25 12 12 23 10

R1a-M458> CTS11962"

Source: www.poreklo.rs, Serbian DNA.

More about it:

Some guy with surname Tesla was tested few year ago and he is I2-PH908, but he say that he is not real Tesla, because his ancestor married some Tesla girl and adopted her surname, real surname of his ancestor was Kalinić.

Other guy with surname Tesla was tested about 2 month ago, he is from Lika from same village as Tesla's father (that guy and Tesla have a common ancestor in the male line) and he is R1a-M458.

Nikola Tesla rocks

duplicate post - deleted

Last edited:
There is a dispute on the origin of Nikola Tesla. Croatians believe that he was descended from a Croatian noble family Draganić. The claim is based on Tesla's own words found in his diary. The person who saw the diary is slavist and historian Ljubica Štefan. According to Štefan, Tesla wrote the following: (translated by Bing and corrected by myself)
I'm glad that also Croats think that I belong to them because my ancestors are from Croatian noble family Draganići from Zadar. As the Croatian nobles in the 16th century, they came to Lika and stayed. Into Lika my ancestors got via Novi Vinodolski. My mother's ancestors, the Kalinić's, are also Croatian noblemen from Novi Vinodolski. My great-grandfather due to circumstances had to leave to the Bosnian Krajina and there he married an Orthodox girl and converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. He had the protruding front teeth so people called him Tesla to the tools with which one process wood and from that comes my current surname of Tesla. It is actually a nickname. My grandfather was an officer in the Lika Regiment, and my father, an Orthodox priest.
Lika, Zadar and Novi Vinodolski are regions and cities in Croatia all close to each other.

Last edited:
Well nobody was actually certain the Serbian inventor did belong to hg I2a:

The Serbian-American scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla (1856-1943), most famous for his work on the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system, the induction motor, the Tesla coil, etc., is thought to have belonged to haplogroup I2a-Din-S (L147.2+). The Serbian DNA Project at Poreklo has tested a Tesla from the same village as Nikola's father, who is very likely from the same Tesla line. (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml#famous_people)

How come he's "Germano-Slavic"? Was "West Slavic" so hard to swallow, must there be "German" in it? I know Maciamo's article about Poland is one-sided, but seems like not only article is.

This is true, Tesla was R1a-M48 (L1029).

Family of Nikola Tesla originated from Raška (Old Serbia), they moved from Raška to Herzegovina, from Herzegovina they moved to northern Dalmatia, and around 1690. they settled in Lika.

Old surmame of Tesla's ancestors was Draganić.
Surname Tesla was created because some ancestor of Tesla had crooked teets similar as tool Adze (Adze is Tesla in Serbian), and because of that he got a nickname Tesla which later became surname.

[video]https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Тесла_(алатка)[/video]

[video]https://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Никола_Тесла[/video]

Well nobody was actually certain the Serbian inventor did belong to hg I2a:

The Serbian-American scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla (1856-1943), most famous for his work on the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system, the induction motor, the Tesla coil, etc., is thought to have belonged to haplogroup I2a-Din-S (L147.2+). The Serbian DNA Project at Poreklo has tested a Tesla from the same village as Nikola's father, who is very likely from the same Tesla line. (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml#famous_people)

Nikola Tesla was R1a-M458 without any doubt.

Guy with surname Tesla which is tested and who is R1a-M458 have common ancestor with Tesla by male line.

Guy with surmame Tesla who is I2-PH908 is not real Tesla, because his ancestor have surname Kalinić and he was adopted surname Tesla because he was married for some girl from Tesla family and took her surname.

Nikola Tesla was R1a-M458 without any doubt.

Guy with surname Tesla which is tested and who is R1a-M458 have common ancestor with Tesla by male line.

Guy with surmame Tesla who is I2-PH908 is not real Tesla, because his ancestor have surname Kalinić and he was adopted surname Tesla because he was married for some girl from Tesla family and took her surname.
Please, listen to yourself...
1. Fatherhood is not 100% sure thing, neither Tesla's or his family descendents.
2. People change last names.

Please, listen to yourself...
1. Fatherhood is not 100% sure thing, neither Tesla's or his family descendents.
2. People change last names.

Great-grandfather of guy who is I2-PH908 was changer last name from Kallinić to Tesla, because he is married with girl from family Tesla and adopted her last name.

Guy who is R1a-M458 is real Tesla, and he had common ancestor by male line with Nikola Tesla.

Few guys with last name Tesla who had common ancestors by male line with Nikola Tesla will be tested very soon and soon we will know 100% what is haplogroup of Nikola Tesla.
He was probably R1a-M458, it is very small chance that he was I2-PH908, but we will see.

Look at here (almost at the end of the page) Тесла (Tesla in Cyrillic) [video]https://dnk.poreklo.rs/tabela-pojedinacne-grupe/?grp-filter=R1a[/video]

Tesla was so blatantly Dinaric and I2 variant a blind man could see.

Tesla was so blatantly Dinaric and I2 variant a blind man could see.

Y DNA is not often related with physical appearance.

I know some guys who are E-V13 and J2b which have blonde hair, blue eyes and pale skin, and I also know some guys who are I1 and R1a which are swarthy.

Y DNA is not often related with physical appearance.

I know some guys who are E-V13 and J2b which have blonde hair, blue eyes and pale skin, and I also know some guys who are I1 and R1a which are swarthy.
Yes because it's not Neolithic that is associated with swarthiness like people falsify and claim, but WHG

Just so everyone is clear: MN people did not look like modern day Norwegians. It's true that WHG were, however, probably darker than the incoming Neolithic farmers, although they had blue eyes. SHG samples included blonde, blue eyed, fair skinned people, and EHG had fair skin and brown hair and brown eyes. On an individual level yDna and mtDna don't necessarily correlate with certain skin tones. Those alleles are on the autosomes.

Now, it's time to get back to the topic, which IS NOT pigmentation.

Great-grandfather of guy who is I2-PH908 was changer last name from Kallinić to Tesla, because he is married with girl from family Tesla and adopted her last name.

Guy who is R1a-M458 is real Tesla, and he had common ancestor by male line with Nikola Tesla.

Few guys with last name Tesla who had common ancestors by male line with Nikola Tesla will be tested very soon and soon we will know 100% what is haplogroup of Nikola Tesla.
He was probably R1a-M458, it is very small chance that he was I2-PH908, but we will see.

Look at here (almost at the end of the page) Тесла (Tesla in Cyrillic) [video]https://dnk.poreklo.rs/tabela-pojedinacne-grupe/?grp-filter=R1a[/video]

The only way you could know Nicola Tesla's haplogroup with absolute certainty is if you found the body of Nicola Tesla and had it tested. Testing known relatives will only tell us his LIKELY haplogroup. There's always the possibility of a "non-paternity event."

The only way you could know Nicola Tesla's haplogroup with absolute certainty is if you found the body of Nicola Tesla and had it tested. Testing known relatives will only tell us his LIKELY haplogroup. There's always the possibility of a "non-paternity event."
I doubt his y-DNA being r1-a was responsible for his intellectual capacity, otherwise everyone with that Y chromosome would be as smart as he was (hint: hardly anyone is as smart).

Body of Nikola Tesla was burned in cremation.

Yep so it's just open to speculation

Is not known what HG Tesla had.
Does Tesla has any brothers that left descendants?
No!
He had a brother that died young,without descendants.
Tesla's body is not available for Y DNA testing, either.
Besides, the ethnicity of a person is not given by his Y DNA.
Not even the genetics is given by Y DNA, genetics is obtained through autosomal testing.

This thread has been viewed 90081 times.

Back