Votes: 34 41.5%
  • 6’1” (185) -6’3” (191)

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • 6’4 (193) -6’6” (198)

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • 6’7” (201) or taller

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've based my Y-HG assumption on the region I come from and the physical appearance, before all the hight in my family (I'm 198 cm and all of them are and were far above the average). So for 2 years I've been reading everything on this forum about I2a. Finally I decided to do the testing. The results came and caugth me really unprepared. Instead of a confirmation of what I was 99% sure about, it turned out to be E-V13. Well, just a small anecdote about making assumptions and generalisations...

You should read this article by Razib Khan.

This is a public service announcement. If you are a user of direct-to-consumer personal genomics services, please do not pay any attention to your mtDNA and Y chromosomal haplogroups. Why? Because they hardly tell you anything about your individual ancestry. What do I mean by this? Your mtDNA comes down from your mother’s-mother’s-mother’s-mother… and similarly for your Y chromosomal lineage if you are a male. These few individuals are not any more likely to contribute to your ancestry than all those multitudes and multitudes who do not contribute to your mtDNA or Y lineages; also known as almost all your ancestors! What you should pay attention to are your autosomal results. Inferences made from most of your genome. These results may be more difficult to parse, but difficulty is no sin, and elegant ease is no virtue, in this case. That’s because you are interested in your ancestry, not a convenient interpretable story.
Of course I am not saying that mtDNA and Y chromosomal haplogroups are useless. They are useful for population scale phylogeography. But please don’t make inferences about yourself from one data point. At least in most cases.

Edit: Think about it this way, many mestizos from South and Central America have the Spaniard Y-HG of R1b. Many African-Americans have the British/Scots-Irish Y-HG of R1b. Many Northwest Indians have the Indo-Aryan Y-HG of R1a. Nevertheless, their autosomal DNA is what truly gives them their ethnic identity. Doesn't mean they can't be proud of their Y-HG though. It means there's a lot more to their ancestry than just haplogroups; autosmal DNA is more important. It's the bulk of what make you, you.

Last edited:
Hehe...thanks for the link. What should I say...I know...I had a feeling mostly due to statistics for my region (above 40% I2a) and I read somewhere that men belonging to this HG are taller in average. If my assumptions had turned right, I would be saying "I'm so clever, see how I knew it." :) The chances were actually not that bad.

Me - 180 cm
Brother - 186 cm
Grandpa - 190 cm :D

184 cm without shoes.:)Not tall and not short.

I am 5'8", 173 cm
Husband is 6', 183 cm
Son #1 is 6'5", 196 cm
Son #2 is 6'2", 188 cm

About 163-164 cm :(
Don't be so upset, being short has its positive side too, for example it helps you to dodge your enemy's attack and exposes his belly to your knife.

And that's just one of countless other possibilities. You can conquer the World hahahaha.

Don't be so upset, being short has its positive side too, for example it helps you to dodge your enemy's attack and exposes his belly to your knife.

And that's just one of countless other possibilities. You can conquer the World hahahaha.

Also, a better center of gravity! Tall people have weak knees. Usually fall like a ton of bricks lol. I am 5'8", 174 cm, smidge taller than 5'8

Personally, I've always felt that when people are too tall they lose in coordination what they gain in height. I don't know if that's borne out by statistical analysis but that's been my impression, certainly for things like dancing.

There are pluses and minuses for everything.

Being too tall is also bad for your heart.

c3NhJmg.png

lmao

Being too tall is also bad for your heart.

c3NhJmg.png

lmao

I thought it was the other way around? for each 2.5 inches shorter one is at increased risk of heart disease.

Height has a relationship with a number of medical conditions, including heart disease. Atrial fibrillation has been observed to be more common in taller individuals. Marfan syndrome, with its high prevalence of mitral valve disease and abnormalities of the aorta, is associated with increased height. Mitral valve prolapse in patients without Marfan syndrome may be more common in taller people. Conversely, congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, and possibly aortic valve calcification are less prevalent with increasing height. The relationship between height and health will be of increasing importance as the population grows
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25051127

I quickly looked this up. There seems to be different heart conditions related to whether if you are taller, or shorter.

Last edited:
Personally, I've always felt that when people are too tall they lose in coordination what they gain in height. I don't know if that's borne out by statistical analysis but that's been my impression, certainly for things like dancing.

There are pluses and minuses for everything.

that is true
but the main disadvantage for tall people used to be that tall people need more food, if not as an adult, then at least while growing up and developping their body
that is why people tend to become taller and taller today

that is true
but the main disadvantage for tall people used to be that tall people need more food, if not as an adult, then at least while growing up and developping their body
that is why people tend to become taller and taller today

Very true. It's not just food, I think, but also, unfortunately, the hormones in the food and the meat.

I think that's what happened to my son. He's the only one in our family who drinks milk. He just kept growing and growing, although he was short as a child. His growth spurt didn't happen until he hit 16. Thankfully he stopped at 6'3", about three inches taller than his father, but much leaner and less muscular.

@Davef,

"Strange that this post was downvoted".

Someone who doesn't believe a southern Italian man can be tall. It may not be typical, but it does indeed happen. My husband's grandfather and father were 6'1" and his uncle, 6'0", was a boxer in the Marines and a semi-professional light-heavyweight, I think they call it, which I think has to come in under 180 pounds or something, which was hard for him. He was solid muscle with barely any effort. Pure Calabrian.

He was built like Jake LaMotta, the "Raging Bull", who was a famous World Middleweight Champion at 5'8", only four inches taller, even broader, and longer through the torso.
51wDEmCwfLL._SY450_.jpg

As I have just found out, we are now around the same height people were 16,000 BC for the first time since. So maybe the question I should have asked is not why people are now getting taller but why they have gotten shorter for so long.

Very true. It's not just food, I think, but also, unfortunately, the hormones in the food and the meat.

I think that's what happened to my son. He's the only one in our family who drinks milk. He just kept growing and growing, although he was short as a child. His growth spurt didn't happen until he hit 16. Thankfully he stopped at 6'3", about three inches taller than his father, but much leaner and less muscular.

@Davef,

Someone who doesn't believe a southern Italian man can be tall. It may not be typical, but it does indeed happen. My husband's grandfather and father were 6'1" and his uncle, 6'0", was a boxer in the Marines and a semi-professional light-heavyweight, I think they call it, which I think has to come in under 180 pounds or something, which was hard for him. He was solid muscle with barely any effort. Pure Calabrian.

yes, all the junk that is in the food today - you can't trust it
milk doesn't have to have a bad influence I think
I drank a lot of it when I was young - up to 3 liters a day
I'm 6"0', but not lean, rather muscular as I like to describe myself ;)
I don't think it is because of the milk, I think it is my DNA and that I had a lot of excercise when I was growing up, and today I still like sports and physical excercise
My sons drink or drank much less milk. They are 6"2' and 6"4' and they have the same body type like me.

Hundreds of genetic 'switches' that affect height

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171205115936.htm

It's been understood for decades that a host of factors -- everything from pre- and post-natal health, nutrition, and genetics -- play a role in determining height, but efforts to untangle the complex web of factors that contribute to height have long been stymied.
advertisement

That picture, however, is becoming clearer, thanks to the work of Harvard scientists.

This thread has been viewed 46504 times.

Back