Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: G2a, Morocco

  1. #1
    Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Ideophagous's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-08-17
    Posts
    7
    Points
    1,417
    Level
    10
    Points: 1,417, Level: 10
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 9.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-L91
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T1a

    Ethnic group
    Moroccan, North African
    Country: Germany



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

    G2a, Morocco

    Hi guys! I have received my DNA test results a few months ago from AncestryDNA and, using a method detailed on Genetic Genealogist blog, managed to obtain my Y-DNA haplogroup from my raw DNA file (AncestryDNA results include Y chromosome analysis, but they do not give a prediction as to the Y-DNA haplogroup). The prediction was G2a (PF3148), which I believe is quite reliable considering that I found the results of 3 individuals from Morocco on an FTDNA database who had the same Y-haplogroup, and their results were even more specific as far the subclade is concerned, which was L91 (same as Ötzi the Iceman).

    The reason I believe the prediction to be quite reliable, is that, first, G is quite rare in Morocco, so I doubt there would be much variety in its Moroccan subclades, and second, that all three individuals had the family name Alaoui/Alawi, which is common among Moroccan people who claim to be descendants of Ali ibn Abi Talib, the cousin of Muhammad, the prophet of Islam. In fact, it is the family name of the royal family in Morocco. My family on my father's side has the same claim, and we have an old document detailing our paternal line, which meets the royal family's around 10 generations ago, and purportedly goes back all the way to Ali.

    I personally do not believe that we are truly descendants of Ali, since it is more likely that he would have J1 or J2 Y-haplogroup. In fact, I saw several groups on the Internet which attempt to compile data about Quraishi lineages (Quraish was the tribe to which Muhammad and Ali belonged), especially Hashemite (sons of Hashem, an ancestor of Muhammad and Ali), and Alawites. All of these groups agree that Quraishi lineages belong to J1 or J2.

    But I'm not as interested in Quraishi lineages, as I am in knowing more about the origin of the Alawite ancestry myth in Morocco. My father's family is from Tafilalt, which is the region where it is claimed that some "descendants of Ali" migrated around 1000 years ago, from the city of Yanbu in Saudi Arabia. This might not be impossible in theory, but from what I understand L91 seems very common in Europe, but not at all in Saudi Arabia, which makes me think that my paternal ancestors likely came from Europe rather than the Middle East.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-08-18
    Posts
    4
    Points
    233
    Level
    2
    Points: 233, Level: 2
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    Naim

    Quote Originally Posted by Ideophagous View Post
    Hi guys! I have received my DNA test results a few months ago from AncestryDNA and, using a method detailed on Genetic Genealogist blog, managed to obtain my Y-DNA haplogroup from my raw DNA file (AncestryDNA results include Y chromosome analysis, but they do not give a prediction as to the Y-DNA haplogroup). The prediction was G2a (PF3148), which I believe is quite reliable considering that I found the results of 3 individuals from Morocco on an FTDNA database who had the same Y-haplogroup, and their results were even more specific as far the subclade is concerned, which was L91 (same as Ötzi the Iceman).

    The reason I believe the prediction to be quite reliable, is that, first, G is quite rare in Morocco, so I doubt there would be much variety in its Moroccan subclades, and second, that all three individuals had the family name Alaoui/Alawi, which is common among Moroccan people who claim to be descendants of Ali ibn Abi Talib, the cousin of Muhammad, the prophet of Islam. In fact, it is the family name of the royal family in Morocco. My family on my father's side has the same claim, and we have an old document detailing our paternal line, which meets the royal family's around 10 generations ago, and purportedly goes back all the way to Ali.

    I personally do not believe that we are truly descendants of Ali, since it is more likely that he would have J1 or J2 Y-haplogroup. In fact, I saw several groups on the Internet which attempt to compile data about Quraishi lineages (Quraish was the tribe to which Muhammad and Ali belonged), especially Hashemite (sons of Hashem, an ancestor of Muhammad and Ali), and Alawites. All of these groups agree that Quraishi lineages belong to J1 or J2.

    But I'm not as interested in Quraishi lineages, as I am in knowing more about the origin of the Alawite ancestry myth in Morocco. My father's family is from Tafilalt, which is the region where it is claimed that some "descendants of Ali" migrated around 1000 years ago, from the city of Yanbu in Saudi Arabia. This might not be impossible in theory, but from what I understand L91 seems very common in Europe, but not at all in Saudi Arabia, which makes me think that my paternal ancestors likely came from Europe rather than the Middle East.

    What do you think?
    Hi I m Alaoui. And my family for the most part still live near and around mdaghra tafilat. And I have received the same results in term if Y dna. It would be interesting to discover where our paternal line is from. Aparantly our particular line is mostly founf in central south Italy as well as in Sardinia...

  3. #3
    Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Join Date
    22-07-18
    Posts
    377
    Points
    1,866
    Level
    12
    Points: 1,866, Level: 12
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 42.0%


    Country: Romania



    Quote Originally Posted by Ideophagous View Post
    Hi guys! I have received my DNA test results a few months ago (...)
    Salutare! Si eu sunt G2a.
    I think the haplogroup Y only says less than 1% of our true origin. The G haplogroup is widespread, even in small percentages, on more than half of the globe, Europe-Asia-Africa .... Same as R1b for example, in large proportins even in Sub-Saharan Africa! But this tell almost anything about our real true ancestors.
    Can you post about your autosomal result ?
    p.s.
    G2a (PF3148) was discovered in 7000-8000 years old remain in Serbia-Romania-Germany... ;)

  4. #4
    Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-08-18
    Posts
    4
    Points
    233
    Level
    2
    Points: 233, Level: 2
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    The thing is G2A L91 is very rare in Morocco. And quasi limited to the Alaoui clan that claims descent from Hassan El Dakhil who was brought to Morocco as a child a couple of centuries ago and presented to the local population as being a descendant of the prophet of Islam. Now this claim maybe false. The point is that the king of Morocco is an Alaoui. Therefore it would be interesting to determine what is the Alaoui paternal lineage just for the sake of it. And that could be done indirectly through the analysis of the dna of members of the alaoui clan who are loosly connected to the royal family. For example my family tree separates from the actual king line, 10 generations ago. Also the claim of being descendant of the prophet is central in legitimizing the rule of the curent king. Therefore if one could isolate the alaoui y hallogroup. One could try to locate the origine of the tribe and by doing so proving or disproving the alaoui's claim to the throne of Morocco on the basis of their suposed linj to the prophet.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    28-05-18
    Posts
    68
    Points
    1,346
    Level
    9
    Points: 1,346, Level: 9
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Country: Turkey



    you search alan people who migrated nort africa with vandals.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-08-18
    Posts
    4
    Points
    233
    Level
    2
    Points: 233, Level: 2
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    From what I read Allan people are not G2A L91... and also vandals invasion didnt have any long standing effect on the dna makeshift of north africa. Furthemore all morrocan who are g2a4 share a family history of being descendant of one man who came to morroco in the 14th century.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    26-08-18
    Posts
    4
    Points
    233
    Level
    2
    Points: 233, Level: 2
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    The man name was hassan dakhil. There is an article about him in wikipedia.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Ideophagous's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-08-17
    Posts
    7
    Points
    1,417
    Level
    10
    Points: 1,417, Level: 10
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 9.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-L91
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T1a

    Ethnic group
    Moroccan, North African
    Country: Germany



    Hey guys! So my brother did the test on 23andme, and confirmed 100% that we are on the G-L91 line.

    Quote Originally Posted by naimbellemare View Post
    Hi I m Alaoui. And my family for the most part still live near and around mdaghra tafilat. And I have received the same results in term if Y dna. It would be interesting to discover where our paternal line is from. Aparantly our particular line is mostly founf in central south Italy as well as in Sardinia...
    Hey Cousin!
    Most of my father's cousins still live in Tafilalt as well. I would be interested to see if there's a subclade of G-L91 that characterizes our clan, or at least close enough (let's say until 2000 years ago), so we can trace the migration path of our ancestors.
    I have so far seen two theories as to our origins. One is that our paternal ancestors may have come with the bearers of the Cardial Culture 9000 to 7000 years ago, from Anatolia to North Africa. The second one is that during or after the fall of Andalusia, some ancestor of ours who came from there may have settled in Tafilalt and claimed to be descended from Ali. The two theories are not mutually exclusive. It could be that our ancestors moved thousands of years ago to Southern Europe then to Iberia, converted to Islam after North Africans conquered Andalusia, became Arabized afterwards, moved to North Africa and specifically to Tafilalt claiming Alawite ancestry (the claim may have originated with an older ancestor though), seized power based on that claim, and the rest is history.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Ideophagous's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-08-17
    Posts
    7
    Points
    1,417
    Level
    10
    Points: 1,417, Level: 10
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 9.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-L91
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T1a

    Ethnic group
    Moroccan, North African
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by gidai View Post
    Salutare! Si eu sunt G2a.
    I think the haplogroup Y only says less than 1% of our true origin. The G haplogroup is widespread, even in small percentages, on more than half of the globe, Europe-Asia-Africa .... Same as R1b for example, in large proportins even in Sub-Saharan Africa! But this tell almost anything about our real true ancestors.
    Salut, vărul meu!
    Yes, it's just the paternal line. But over a whole population it gives you a good idea about its origins and migration path. This how we know for example that the Arabization of North Africa was mainly a cultural rather than a demographic phenomenon. Egypt was completely Arabized, but its people are directly descended from the pyramid builders. Their culture simply went from Greek-Coptic in the Late Antiquity to Arabic, but this didn't happen overnight. It took several centuries of Islamization and Arabization.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •