north africa ancestry 23andme

laguna

Reaction score
hello
does anyone know why 23andme does'nt manage to broke down its north african component betwenn arabian (saudi, Qatar,Koweït, ...) and north african strictly speaking (maghrebi +egypt)?
It s all the more wondering that we can easily distinguish these 2 kind of population in observing arabians and maghrebis average results through gedmatch calculators.

hello
does anyone know why 23andme does'nt manage to broke down its north african component betwenn arabian (saudi, Qatar,Koweït, ...) and north african strictly speaking (maghrebi +egypt)?
It s all the more wondering that we can easily distinguish these 2 kind of population in observing arabians and maghrebis average results through gedmatch calculators.

Im afraid that in order for 23andme to get a better breakdown, there needs to be enough North African samples. For most of Genetic Geneology's history, North Africa and the Middleeast has been war torn so collecting samples has been quite tricky to say the least. However, if you find that Gedmatch is genetically distinguishing North Africans from Middleeasterners, It would be cool to bring this to 23andme's attention. Nice observation. :)

Wasn't there a study that looked specefically at the difference between Berber ancestry and outside ancestry in North Africans and found that Tunisian Berbers had the highest Berber component?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but appears at least a few people have looked into this just not any companies yet.

yes Promenade
that study was released in 2012 and was the first one to clearly deal with a specific north african component peaking among tunisian berbers.
According to it,that component arose around 15 KY from eurasian populations back to africa (basal eurasian? )
Twillight,
I also thaught about sample size issues
but It seemed to me that 23andme picks as well in academic databases which are not missing for these areas.Maybe they have considered them insignificant.

This thread has been viewed 3095 times.

Back