Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: France vs America: What you should know before you go

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This reminds me of the years I lived in Japan. The people, one on one, were very friendly, but in groups, especially on the trains, they were very cold and never looked at you, or anyone else for that matter. I always thought this was a defense against the sheer weight of numbers; building a personal cocoon of aloneness.
    I definitely agree with you on that, but sometimes it's just some combination of genetics and culture I think.

A couple with whom we're very friendly has traveled absolutely everywhere; one of the perks of being childless I think.:)

Anyway, they were telling me stories of traveling in Eastern Europe and how nobody smiled at anyone else. My friend, who is a very "smiley" person indeed asked her Czech tour guide why people seemed to smile so little, and the answer was, well, we smile when we have a reason to smile.

I thought that was a pretty funny answer. Smiling is a way of signaling friendliness, lack of threat, the building of a bond, not because you're wildly happy.

It's the same thing in terms of wanting to be alone. I lived in Manhattan for eight years. You do sort of cocoon yourself in your own space; reading a book or listening to your own music while on the subway for example, because you're experiencing sensory overload; it's just too much. Or else you're so stressed dodging cars and pedestrians that you really don't have time to notice people around you.

What, however, could explain this except some ingrained desire not to connect too much with other people? I would feel uncomfortable if I didn't at least say hi, terrible weather, or been waiting long or smiled or something. They're two women as well, so no fear factor.

Waiting for a table at a restaurant in Italy

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

The France vs America today is a thin political subject.

Especially for NATO
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Concerning tipping, in German speaking areas its not like you have to, but its customary to give a tip and if the service was very friendly, it might be seen as ungrateful and even impolite if you don't at least round up. A fair tip is usually about 10 percent, but if you give less, its not that bad. But if you ordered a lot, got good service and don't give a tip afterwards, you might be seen as an...
    Tips make up a good amount of the income of the service personell. Its not the same everywhere and its also different how you give the tip, so there are fairly big differences on whether and how you give a tip in Europe. Sometimes even between neighbouring countries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12