Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Future Updates?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    08-12-16
    Posts
    274

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-FGC24357
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K2a6

    Ethnic group
    Hainaut Belgium and Quebec Canada
    Country: USA - California



    Future Updates?

    Do you think Natgeo will ever make any updates to the profiles of its pre Helix members? They still have my haplogroup listed as I-P30. Every other company I see at least refers to I1 as I-M253 or a lower subclade. Should they have run our raw data through the new Helix algorithm to give us updated ethnicity results. Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe seem to care about their current customer base by updating their websites with new features. What about Natgeo?
    I1> DF29> Z58> Z59> Z2041> Z2040> Z382> S26361> S16414> FGC24354> FGC24357> FGC24356> S10350> FGC75802> Y125947> S21197> BY149414> BY188003> BY188570

    YFull id: YF15884

  2. #2
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,361

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    Do you think Natgeo will ever make any updates to the profiles of its pre Helix members? They still have my haplogroup listed as I-P30. Every other company I see at least refers to I1 as I-M253 or a lower subclade. Should they have run our raw data through the new Helix algorithm to give us updated ethnicity results. Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe seem to care about their current customer base by updating their websites with new features. What about Natgeo?
    The thing about the new Nat Geo test is that it's own by the testing company Illumina, which sequences DNA at Gentek labs, CA, with a proprietary software called Exnome+ from Helix. Thus it would be incompatible with your old test results, since it was done with a genotyping method. Plus the new test uses a saliva sample, while the old one used a cheek swab. Plus your old sample is at a completely different lab in Texas, owned by a separate company associated with FTDNA.

    Earlier today I made a thread about the differences between sequencing vs genotyping. You might find it useful.

    TLDR;

    -Owned by a different company
    -Tested differently, at different labs

    I'm sorry, but I don't think they will update the old test with the new algorithm.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    08-12-16
    Posts
    274

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-FGC24357
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K2a6

    Ethnic group
    Hainaut Belgium and Quebec Canada
    Country: USA - California



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    The thing about the new Nat Geo test is that it's own by the testing company Illumina, which sequences DNA at Gentek labs, CA, with a proprietary software called Exnome+ from Helix. Thus it would be incompatible with your old test results, since it was done with a genotyping method. Plus the new test uses a saliva sample, while the old one used a cheek swab. Plus your old sample is at a completely different lab in Texas, owned by a separate company associated with FTDNA.

    Earlier today I made a thread about the differences between sequencing vs genotyping. You might find it useful.

    TLDR;

    -Owned by a different company
    -Tested differently, at different labs

    I'm sorry, but I don't think they will update the old test with the new algorithm.
    Interesting! If sequencing is more accurate and is the future, it's odd that the Helix algorithm has such broad categories like northwest Europe that goes all the way from Norway to Ireland. I would assume the regions would be more specific.

  4. #4
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,361

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    Interesting! If sequencing is more accurate and is the future, it's odd that the Helix algorithm has such broad categories like northwest Europe that goes all the way from Norway to Ireland. I would assume the regions would be more specific.
    Or rather, how can genotyping be so precise, if it's not looking at everything?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,271

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    My understanding is that Helix sequence just the DNA, then send just part, but not all, the Data to Natgeo,
    At this point Natgeo process this data, and Predicts the Ancestry.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-17
    Posts
    4,271

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Genographic Project (The End)

    ... effective May 31, 2019, Geno 2.0 DNA Ancestry kits are no longer available for purchase.

    If you have already purchased a kit, you may still send it in for processing ...

    National Geographic currently plans to maintain this site, through which customers may access their results, until the end of 2020..

    https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •