mwauthy

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Namur Belgium and Quebec Canada
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-FT213710
mtDNA haplogroup
K2a6
Do you think Natgeo will ever make any updates to the profiles of its pre Helix members? They still have my haplogroup listed as I-P30. Every other company I see at least refers to I1 as I-M253 or a lower subclade. Should they have run our raw data through the new Helix algorithm to give us updated ethnicity results. Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe seem to care about their current customer base by updating their websites with new features. What about Natgeo?

Do you think Natgeo will ever make any updates to the profiles of its pre Helix members? They still have my haplogroup listed as I-P30. Every other company I see at least refers to I1 as I-M253 or a lower subclade. Should they have run our raw data through the new Helix algorithm to give us updated ethnicity results. Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe seem to care about their current customer base by updating their websites with new features. What about Natgeo?

The thing about the new Nat Geo test is that it's own by the testing company Illumina, which sequences DNA at Gentek labs, CA, with a proprietary software called Exnome+ from Helix. Thus it would be incompatible with your old test results, since it was done with a genotyping method. Plus the new test uses a saliva sample, while the old one used a cheek swab. Plus your old sample is at a completely different lab in Texas, owned by a separate company associated with FTDNA.

Earlier today I made a thread about the differences between sequencing vs genotyping. You might find it useful.

TLDR;

-Owned by a different company
-Tested differently, at different labs

I'm sorry, but I don't think they will update the old test with the new algorithm.

The thing about the new Nat Geo test is that it's own by the testing company Illumina, which sequences DNA at Gentek labs, CA, with a proprietary software called Exnome+ from Helix. Thus it would be incompatible with your old test results, since it was done with a genotyping method. Plus the new test uses a saliva sample, while the old one used a cheek swab. Plus your old sample is at a completely different lab in Texas, owned by a separate company associated with FTDNA.

Earlier today I made a thread about the differences between sequencing vs genotyping. You might find it useful.

TLDR;

-Owned by a different company
-Tested differently, at different labs

I'm sorry, but I don't think they will update the old test with the new algorithm.

Interesting! If sequencing is more accurate and is the future, it's odd that the Helix algorithm has such broad categories like northwest Europe that goes all the way from Norway to Ireland. I would assume the regions would be more specific.

Interesting! If sequencing is more accurate and is the future, it's odd that the Helix algorithm has such broad categories like northwest Europe that goes all the way from Norway to Ireland. I would assume the regions would be more specific.

Or rather, how can genotyping be so precise, if it's not looking at everything?

My understanding is that Helix sequence just the DNA, then send just part, but not all, the Data to Natgeo,
At this point Natgeo process this data, and Predicts the Ancestry.

Genographic Project (The End)

... effective May 31, 2019, Geno 2.0 DNA Ancestry kits are no longer available for purchase.

If you have already purchased a kit, you may still send it in for processing ...

National Geographic currently plans to maintain this site, through which customers may access their results, until the end of 2020..

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

This thread has been viewed 4627 times.

Back