Gencove

My results:
Mc8S0T3.png
It's as meaningless as the test itself. Since Angela is 39 percent western Neolithic, what is the rest of her "southwestern European" like? We'd never know without the new Kurd calculator, right? These categories are too vague and broad.
I know, I'll create a davef calculator which has the following categories:
Northern European (literally, the northern half of Europe)
Southern European Greco-Romano-Iberia
Middle East and Caucasian (spreads all across turkey, Arabia, levant and Iraq/Iran)
North African (morocco to Egypt)
Sub Saharan (Nigeria southwards)
India/east Asia and Australian
Let's be even more vague:
Human
Neanderthal

Why is this calculator even around? It's meaningless and uninformative...I wonder if it's a college project assigned to CS grad students...

Why is this calculator even around? It's meaningless and uninformative...I wonder if it's a college project assigned to CS grad students...

I suppose because in this way they want to advertise their paid services. Gencove is a start up. It's just marketing.

Results.

Not sure why I get India, but I always seem to get a tiny bit. It may be from the Jews. Also, lots of SW Euro, taking from NW Euro. Might mean my Scottish ancestors mixed with the French in New Brunswick.

Last edited:
Looks like, there is a need for a new calculator.
I am eagerly waiting for Genplaza modern calculator. Kurd is working on it.

Really though, Im not sure why my South Western European is so high, its a 2:1 ratio compared to North Western European, that just does not coincide with the surnames from the family tree.

Gallagher
MacDougall
Prince (french?)
Coates (french?)
Nash
Bennett (french?)
Currier (French? )

Why would you expect more northwestern if you're only 1/4 British? Even if you're half British, they're more than half "southern" as it is.

Northern and Central Europe

Reference populations: Norwegian, Orcadian, Scottish, British, Icelandic.

SO why would they be mostly South Western?

Im guessing a breakdown of the following:

Italian:
Eastern Med 37%
Middle East 4%
Iran 7%
South Western 2%

Jewish:
Ashkinazi 22%
Indian 3%

Canadian:
South Western 17%
North Western 8%

Really though, Im not sure why my South Western European is so high, its a 2:1 ratio compared to North Western European, that just does not coincide with the surnames from the family tree.

Gallagher
MacDougall
Prince (french?)
Coates (french?)
Nash
Bennett (french?)
Currier (French? )

None of the reference samples for northwestern are from mainland Europe. They are all from UK and Scandinavia. So if you have ancestors from France, Low Countries, Germany, And Switzerland a decent percentage will be assigned to Southwestern because its the closest region. Ethnicity estimates are all about how you compare to the reference samples being used and have very little to do with where your ancestors were actually born.

I know, that is what I'm implying. Obviously a majority of the ancestry is NOT from Scotland, the UK, or Ireland.

Now, would it be possible for Native American genes to be identified as South Western Europe? Lack of samples from Mik'maqu populations may be a factor. Since French-Canadians have a high mixture of Native Ancestry in some areas, the lack of samples may lead to the assumption of a founder effect and labeled French? (South Western). Basically could say 4-5% of that 19% be misidentified Native American?

I know, that is what I'm implying. Obviously a majority of the ancestry is NOT from Scotland, the UK, or Ireland.

Now, would it be possible for Native American genes to be identified as South Western Europe? Lack of samples from Mik'maqu populations may be a factor. Since French-Canadians have a high mixture of Native Ancestry in some areas, the lack of samples may lead to the assumption of a founder effect and labeled French? (South Western). Basically could say 4-5% of that 19% be misidentified Native American?

I’m 50% French Canadian back to 1650 and I don’t register any Native American on my various DNA tests. If you are part Metis then you will probably register some. However, the French Canadians in Quebec tended to marry other French Canadians.

I’m pretty sure that there is no correlation between Southwestern European and Native American. I get 27% Southwestern European on Gencove. This is due to there being no references samples for most of France. Many French Canadians came from La Rochelle. On a map you will see that that port is closer to Atlantic Spain than to Scandinavia or the Orkney Islands. So a lot of these Western and Central French genes get assigned to the Iberian Peninsula

Comparing my parents' and my sample (all of us should have North East Amerindians) with one of my grand-mother's sample (who should have only Europeans), the difference is trace amount of Asian DNA. Finnish, Siberian, Central Asian, South Asian, South East Asian, Oceanian, East Asian, a bit from one or another, depending of the test. Your unexplained South Asian, could be coming from Acadia.

Id like to see some North Eastern Native Americans results. I think there were two waves of natives into the Americas. The pre-Clovis and the Arctic Hunters. I'm wondering if they were a mixed population being so close to the Arctic, or if they were identical to the other Eastern Woodland tribes.

47% Southwestern Europe
40% Northern and Central Europe
5% Eastern Mediterranean
5% Northeast Europe
3% Iran Caucasus Anatolia

DKBO8EO.png

47% Southwestern Europe
40% Northern and Central Europe
5% Eastern Mediterranean
5% Northeast Europe
3% Iran Caucasus Anatolia

DKBO8EO.png

Your other half is all that southwestern European that Angela got so yeah youre definitely 1/2 north Italian.

Your other half is all that southwestern European that Angela got so yeah youre definitely 1/2 north Italian.

Absolutely not. I'll repeat. No one who is half Lombard and half German is going to get these scores. They'd be more "northern", i.e. higher northern Europe.

Absolutely not. I'll repeat. No one who is half Lombard and half German is going to get these scores. They'd be more "northern", i.e. higher northern Europe.

I agree. I’m half Belgian (similar to southwest Germany) and half French Canadian which is an average of French HGDP according to FTDNA. On Gencove I get 68% Northern and Central, 27% Southwestern, and 5% Eastern Med.

Based on his scores his German is probably more northern Italian or his Italian does not have much of a Lombard influence.

I agree. I’m half Belgian (similar to southwest Germany) and half French Canadian which is an average of French HGDP according to FTDNA. On Gencove I get 68% Northern and Central, 27% Southwestern, and 5% Eastern Med.

Based on his scores his German is probably more northern Italian or his Italian does not have much of a Lombard influence.

as i mentioned on the other thread, #33 is the concatenated b37[FTDNA] build means it incl the x-chr which is solely from the mother but not sure if gencove factors that in however, yet when i send in initially just the autosome build b36_autos[FTDNA] without the x-chr that was my result;
VSMablu.jpg

not sure what academic papers you have seen but lombards(bergamo etc.) are fully south european close to tuscans, greeks and albanians (not french or cen_eu) and with a strong affinity towards modern sardinians which is neolithic based; for example in recent papers like haber et al the most shared alleles/drift with sidon_ba were modern sardinians and north_italians (neolithic based) or fregel et al TOR is more similar to Middle Neolithic/Chalcolithic Europeans, and, among modern populations, to populations from Spain, North Italy and Sardinia plus other such informative passages from other academic papers; and since this is the manner in which results are discussed, angela who is fully north italian only scored 8% NC but since she is not from lombardia i doubt she shared much drift with the sardinians/(orig.pop) in Geneplaza K25 (judging by her pardoned surprise) yet that is something someone from lombardia specifically ought to have (academic based); in several GEDmatch calculators a criteria to tell north_italian from south_italian is actually by east-med / west_med proportions not so much by other proportions;

Not sure what you mean, Alex. I don't think Sardinians are close to any other population, and north Italians and Greeks aren't terribly close either.

as i mentioned on the other thread, #33 is the concatenated b37[FTDNA] build means it incl the x-chr which is solely from the mother but not sure if gencove factors that in however, yet when i send in initially just the autosome build b36_autos[FTDNA] without the x-chr that was my result;
View attachment 9554

not sure what academic papers you have seen but lombards(bergamo etc.) are fully south european close to tuscans, greeks and albanians (not french or cen_eu) and with a strong affinity towards modern sardinians which is neolithic based; for example in recent papers like haber et al the most shared alleles/drift with sidon_ba were modern sardinians and north_italians (neolithic based) or fregel et al TOR is more similar to Middle Neolithic/Chalcolithic Europeans, and, among modern populations, to populations from Spain, North Italy and Sardinia plus other such informative passages from other academic papers; and since this is the manner in which results are discussed, angela who is fully north italian only scored 8% NC but since she is not from lombardia i doubt she shared much drift with the sardinians/(orig.pop) in Geneplaza K25 (judging by her pardoned surprise) yet that is something someone from lombardia specifically ought to have (academic based); in several GEDmatch calculators a criteria to tell north_italian from south_italian is actually by east-med / west_med proportions not so much by other proportions;

Thanks for the info! I always assumed northern Italians would plot closer to Central Europeans. You score 40% Southeastern Europe on FTDNA. I always assumed there was a large farming component in the West and Central Europe category and that Southeastern was more Mediterranean than Northern Italian. I wonder what Angela scored on FTDNA if she ever took that specific test.

My mom is French Canadian and scored 99% West and Central Europe and French people have a significant Neolithic farming component.

Thanks for the info! I always assumed northern Italians would plot closer to Central Europeans. You score 40% Southeastern Europe on FTDNA. I always assumed there was a large farming component in the West and Central Europe category and that Southeastern was more Mediterranean than Northern Italian. I wonder what Angela scored on FTDNA if she ever took that specific test.

My mom is French Canadian and scored 99% West and Central Europe and French people have a significant Neolithic farming component.

I never took FTDNA.

On some calculators I get 20% Northwestern European.

@alexfritz,
I'm not 100% Northern Italian, unless you consider eastern Ligurians (1/4) and northwestern Tuscans (1/4) Northern Italian.

On gedmatch calculators I plot right between Bergamo and Firenze, which makes perfect sense.

I'm quite different from someone from the Veneto or Bergamo, but I'm also very different from anyone south of Tuscany.

This thread has been viewed 60722 times.

Back